Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CAFC 0 SHREWS 2 - 24/02/2018 POST MATCH THREAD

edited February 2018 in General Charlton
Big crowd. Chance to to improve playoff chances. Zyro on for two minutes. Defeat. All very predictable.

Comments

• Totally outplayed today. No plan B from Robinson. That's it.
  • edited February 2018
    Shrews were excellent - their manager has got a hell of a lot out of that squad. Hmmmm

Charlton were ragged and there was no way that game wasn't going to be a loss after our opening five minute burst was negated.

Still 6th, on to the next game. Hope we scrape the play offs and a couple of shock results take us up.
  • Think we’re 7th
  • Shrews were excellent - their manager has got a hell of a lot out of that squad. Hmmmm

Charlton were ragged and there was no way that game wasn't going to be a loss after our opening five minute burst was negated.

Still 6th, on to the next game. Hope we scrape the play offs and a couple of shock results take us up.

We're 7th. Plymouth are 6th now, despite seemingly being in the bottom 3 until christmas.
  • Think we’re 7th

You're right. Plymouth now above us.
  • Think we’re 7th

Think we’re 7th

You're right. Plymouth now above us.
    Dont worry we've two games in hand against Plymouth; when we win those again Blackpool and Shrewsbury we'll... Oh!!
  • Sponsored links:

• I think a lot of our poor, sloppy play was that Shrewsbury are a big, quick, physical side who swarm the ball like monsters when they lose is and disrupted us playing through the midfield, and we looked shit as a result. They also knew that if you get a defender within five yards of Pearce or Solly, they'll give you the ball back.

Those first five minutes showed what could have been.

Outplayed by a better team. Shit day. Sorry so many had to be there to see it.
  • Laddick01 said:

Compare this league to the promotion season under Powell. The standard is a joke.

Really shows how poor we are.

21 points from our last 18 games - marginally above the points per game needed to avoid relegation over a full season...this poor run is deep set.
  • Laddick01 said:

Compare this league to the promotion season under Powell. The standard is a joke.

Not sure that's true. Wigan and Shrewsbury both took us to pieces at the Valley this season and are much more impressive sides than either of the Sheffield teams were back then.

Just because it's Wigan and Shrewsbury doesn't mean they're sh*t - if the team we played today were called Sheffield then I doubt many people would make the same points.
    Fair points. I’m not doubting both those sides would’ve been right up there in the top 6, I just think we would’ve comfortably beaten both on what I’ve seen.

It’s more to do with the fact that the likes of Plymouth and Gillingham ( yes 2 sides who’ve beaten us) are serious playoff contenders with the squads they have.
  • Sponsored links:

• At this point there is nothing to gain by sacking the manager. There's too little left in the season.

We have to hope we string enough results together to finish 6th and go up via a flukey play off win.

Either way, Robinson should not be in charge next season.

I don't necessarily disagree that Robinson should go in the summer, I'm pretty agnostic on it at the moment. But I don't think losing to the side second in the table who really stopped us from playing is the game to put the marker down saying "He's not good enough."
  • edited February 2018
    At the end of the day the buck stops with KR. He simply isn’t getting the most out of the players at his disposal and that is why I think he should go now whilst we still have a shout at making the playoffs
  • I thought we might be ok for top six but we’re not. We lack that something you need to succeed which is belief and attitude. We look bereft of both. Have backed KR but something’s not right.

New owners, new manager and a nearly new set of players.
  • E-cafc said:

We got away with it today. Should have been a proper tanking had they scored from the penalty/scramble and some late efforts when it was 0.2.

Also, kicking away from the Covered End 2nd half totally eliminated the home crowd from the game.

Really hope fans can stop this promotion/play-off nonsense as we are nowhere near good enough.

We have been taught a lesson today and were shown the levels of performance, discipline and game plan that is required to get out of this division. We are light years away from that at the moment.

Absolutely spot on.
  • Laddick01 said:

Not sure that's true. Wigan and Shrewsbury both took us to pieces at the Valley this season and are much more impressive sides than either of the Sheffield teams were back then.

Just because it's Wigan and Shrewsbury doesn't mean they're sh*t - if the team we played today were called Sheffield then I doubt many people would make the same points.
    Second this. I think there's a lot more quality in depth in this league, and that Shrewsbury, Wigan, and Blackburn are all teams that would have given us a good run when we went up under Powell.

Callum you make the excellent point that because these aren't necessarily "big name" clubs doesn't mean they're shit, and to be fair, both Wigan and Blackburn have been in the Premier League in the last five years.

I think we're underperforming. Badly right now. But that doesn't mean that there aren't good teams in this league.
  • Kaikai is the worst player i’ve seen playing for charlton in a long time, and that’s saying something

Dodoo scored (twice!) at least
  • We are rapidly approaching a momentous crossroad in this once great clubs future.
    I can't decide if the next part of our journey will eventually see us romp up the league's or a catastrophic fall from further grace Leyton Orient style?

Knowing Charlton and all that.......

:-(