Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Come in No. 20?

It's time we had this discussion

(To be bumped every time he does something half-decent over the next 3 years)

Comments

• True. He looked totally spent today. Must be room for another coach on that bench!
  • Said it before and I’ll say it again, to win this league you need either pacey attacking full back with the aim of outscoring your opponents ( See Nathan Byrne for Wigan, Wiggins under Powell etc)

Or you need a solid back 4 almost playing 4 CB’s

Old Solly used to be the perfect blend of both. Now he is neither , and therefore a passenger in our side.
  • Still dont think that Konsa or Dijksteel are the answer out there.

Thats the overall issue - If you replace him... Who do you bring in as Konsa is the first choice CB now I reckon
  • I almost created a "We need to talk about Solly" thread a couple weeks ago.

Something has looked really off since he came back from injury a few weeks ago. Everyone goes through bad patches of form. He's making very un-Solly like mistakes.

But more than that, the way he moves looks creaky, robotic, and uncomfortable. Maybe it's just bad form and carrying a knock or two. Or maybe the fact that I know he has bad knees is impacting what I see. But something looks off and it's not just form.
  • To be fair, most of the team looked clapped out and outclassed today.
  • edited February 2018

To be fair, most of the team looked clapped out and outclassed today.

Agreed, and I thought Marshall and Pearce were all easily worse. It's more the accumulation of the last few games. The best he's done is that last weekend he looked alright-ish, though some of that was because Wigan didn't threaten down his side much.
  • Aribo? Thought he was our bright spot! I'd need to watch the game again, mind, and I have no wish to.
  • edited February 2018
    Leuth said:

Aribo? Thought he was our bright spot! I'd need to watch the game again, mind, and I have no wish to.

Nah I think you're right I think it's harsh on him and I changed it. He disappeared for large stretches though, and I didn't think he dropped off to look for the ball enough.
  • You should replace him with Kaikai. Abject doesn't even begin to cover it
  • Aribo was excellent today. Feeding off scraps, he rarely gives it away; certainly holds is up better than Josh the Carthorse.

I fear Solly has been getting worse and worse; sad to see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

You should replace him with Kaikai. Abject doesn't even begin to cover it

I didn't think he was good, but I didn't think he was as bad as some have made out (just my opinion) and there's already that feeling of scapegoatism with him so I'll leave it at Pearce and Marshall.
  • Ultimately Solly will be back to his best I reckon (Might not be this season)... He's far too young to be written off still.

Is a player to have bounced back time and again and may have been forced into retirement a few years ago, so reckon he'll be back
  • Still dont think that Konsa or Dijksteel are the answer out there.

Thats the overall issue - If you replace him... Who do you bring in as Konsa is the first choice CB now I reckon

Every time I've seen Dijksteel he's done a good job, I'd definitely give him an opportunity at right back and let Solly have a break for a while.

I absolutely love Solly, he'll undoubtedly go down in the Charlton hall of fame, but he really seems to have declined this season and I definitely think a rest would do him well, possibly the captaincy weighs heavily on him too as I wouldn't call him a natural leader.
  • (although I stress that he's been a great servant and a fine fellow)
  • Last weekend at MK was the first time I had seen the team this season. Iwas amazed at the poor fitness levels of most of the team that I remembered from last season. Solly looked to be carrying to much weight as did Bauer, but none oftem looked fit. They looked knackered after 70 minutes and you can see why the late goals are conceded. KR is ultimately responsible for this....... solly should still have several years left in him but unless he gets fit and loses weight he wontget his speed back and all the timing in the world will no,t letyou make the tackle from six yeards behind!
  • Solly is the least of our problems.
  • Solly used to be my favourite player but today he was shocking - barely made a tackle and offered little else. Sad to see..
  • So sad to see. Struggling out there. Also wouldn't say he is captain material, Pearce fits the role better Imo.
  • Leuth said:

Ultimately Solly will be back to his best I reckon (Might not be this season)... He's far too young to be written off still.

Is a player to have bounced back time and again and may have been forced into retirement a few years ago, so reckon he'll be back

This isn't a matter of form, though. A chronic knee condition is a one-way ticket I'm afraid. And Solly is not quite Ledley King
    Spot on
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

Ultimately Solly will be back to his best I reckon (Might not be this season)... He's far too young to be written off still.

This isn't a matter of form, though. A chronic knee condition is a one-way ticket I'm afraid. And Solly is not quite Ledley King
    Yet not once have we seen him struggling in games due to his knees... Its more his decision making and timings that he needs to work upon - He's still one of the better crossers of the ball at the club.

And am sorry but the Ledley King comparison is just strange, of course he's not like him... King played at the top level whilst Solly just has to deal with players at his level, which is probably League One now
  • Solly is a shadow of the player he used to be. Apart from anything else, he looks so lethargic now, as if he's pacing himself, there's no spark with him. After 5 minutes he'll slowly amble over to take a throw in, as if we were in added time defending a 1-0 lead.

Sadly I don't think this a temporary loss of form, he's been playing at a poor level for a long time now.
  • As my mate said at half time, "Solly is playing on memory now..."
  • 3-4-3 til the end of the season for me.

Konsa RCB
    Pearce CB
    Bauer LCB

Fosu LM
    Kashi CDM
    Aribo CAM
    Marshall RM

LF Ajose
    CF Magennis
    RF Reeco

purposely put in 3 different formats name pos R -> L, name pos L->R and pos L->R name

just so Karl might hopefully see one of them.
  • Its very frustrating watching almost every throw in on the right, taken by Solly, no-one moving for the ball, eventually someone coming in and passing back to Solly who then loses it. Isn't this something that should be worked on week in week out ?
  • How old is he now? 27-28? he should be at his peak. Quite clearly physically he is not. Wasn't it the case that he only didn't sign for West Ham because he failed a medical? I can't remember where I heard it but someone told me he has no cartliage left after all the ops. I worry that it's catching up with him now, and I hope he isn't storing up problems for himself in later years by continuing to play now. I hate that this thread exists, but I am afraid it has every reason to exist.
  • But. He's better than John Terry.
  • Yep, club's on it's arse in every single aspect so let's write off one of our own.