Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Grey Whistle Test

edited February 2018 in Not Sports Related
Three hours of celebration, both live music and some classic recordings.

That's me sorted for the evening. Bring it on Whispering Bob

Edit: Sorry on BBC4

Comments

• Loving the show.
  • Bromley boy Peter Frampton looking and sounding good.
  • Is Bob Harris Harry Hill's dad?
  • Great stuff already. Never knew about Molly Marriott, huge fan of her dad.
  • Bob Marley has to win that vote. Wouldn't mind seeing Tom Petty either
  • Best live version of 'are friends electric' I've seen him perform.

Really tight and a powerful version. I suppose he's matured and is playing with some class musicians.
  • Addickted said:

Best live version of 'are friends electric' I've seen him perform.

Really tight and a powerful version. I suppose he's matured and is playing with some class musicians.

He's older than you.
  • NUUUMAN .

• Wife’s quite shocked I’ve never heard of this programme

She's right to be shocked.

Albert Lee's voice sounding good for a man in his 70s
  • Sponsored links:

• Actually opened this thread expecting it to be a bit suits lol
  • Bloody hell. Toyah looking good considering she's 60 in May.
  • McBobbin said:

Bob Marley has to win that vote. Wouldn't mind seeing Tom Petty either

Yayyyyyy
  • Loved The Wailers and that programme really pushed them in the UK. Fantastic performance from Junior Marvin.

Still voted for Tom Petty.
  • Great to see Robert Vincent bring an end to the show. First "saw" him at the Palmeira in Hove when he was too tall to be seen under the pub umbrellas. So I just listened and he was magical - tuneful, lyrical and committed. Had Danny Williams on bass too - one of the nicest guys you could meet
  • Have to say that Gary Numan was head and shoulders above any performance on the programme tonight.
  • Great programme. I thought Numan and Lee were outstanding. Numan's daughter did well too.
  • Great to see that snippet of Focus, one of my favourite bands of the time who, albeit in a different line up are still gigging and appeared at the Beaverwood Club, Chislehurst, last year.
  • Frampton still got it too - apart from the signature hair of course!
  • Great to see that snippet of Focus, one of my favourite bands of the time who, albeit in a different line up are still gigging and appeared at the Beaverwood Club, Chislehurst, last year.

Yes, great. Remember hearing Hocus Pocus for the first time on OGWT and couldn't believe what I was hearing. Remember seeing them play at The Rainbow, must have been a couple of years later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Numan's hair was erm, interesting. Almost looked like a syrup .................

Quite shocked? I am flabbergasted
  • edited February 2018

Wife’s quite shocked I’ve never heard of this programme

Grounds for Divorce, outlandish behaviour.
  • Morning after, I'm feeling a bit disappointed that some of those great clips didn't get played in full (at the expense of that Spanner, perhaps :smile: -))

If they opened up the archive in an on-demand service on iPlayer, I would pay. Sadly the BBC is not allowed to do that sort of thing.

I just wish I knew what it was really all about when I was a teenager. Missed a lot of the programmes as I hadn't a clue what it was when looking at the tv listings in the paper. Also prob on a bit late & no video recorders in those days (certainly none that we could afford). Caught up with a few highlights on BBC4 recently with my favourite being Paradise by the dashboard light by Meat Loaf.
  • Really enjoyed watching that last night...the TOTP after wasn't to bad either...1983.
  • I'm going to be controversial now. I didn't rate that Wailers clip so much. It was alright, but not best clip material for me - neither the tune or the vid were exciting enough.
  • In fairness to the 'Spanner' I though he got it about right, a bit too much talking, and would have liked to have seen, the Bowie, Zappa, Gallagher, Clapton stuff, although there was a brief spot of John Martyn, an artist to me who epitomised what the OGWT was about. Good to see Albert Lee, and Peter Frampton, as well as Steve M. Never forgive J.S Porter for killing this programme....

Hate to break it to you chief, but I was 11 when it was taken off air (by the lovely Janet Street Porter) so doubt I was ever awake for a single episode!
  • You ain’t much younger than me boss. I was 14.