Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Shrewsbury | Sat 24 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Shrewsbury Town
Saturday 24th February 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Chris Sarginson (Staffordshire)

Introduction

Saturday saw the Addicks return to winning ways, yet only just… Goals from Ahmed Kashi and Josh Magennis put Charlton in a commanding lead against MK Dons, only for a goal from the home side to make it a nervy last thirty minutes – This weekend will see Shrewsbury Town visit the Valley, strangely it’s the first time the Shrews have faced us this season… Time to see what all the fuss is about!!

The Opposition
Name: Shrewsbury Town | Manager: Paul Hurst
Stadium: New Meadow

2015/16 will always be the most remarkable season in English Footballing history… It was the year that Leicester City became the ultimate underdog to win the Premier League title and so throw any kind of form book straight out of the window.

Here in League One it’s a common theme for a side to defy the bookies – When Charlton won this very league in 2010/11, it wasn’t just impressive they won comfortably, yet before the season started, were expected to finish no higher than mid-table… More recent seasons have seen the likes of Burton Albion and Fleetwood Town challenging the big boys (the former winning the battle and promotion with it).

This season has seen it be the turn of Shrewsbury Town… Defeat on the last day of the 2016/17 season saw the Shrews finishing just two points from relegation, indeed their performance at the Valley (a 3-0 defeat) early that season made them look certain for League Two Football. Yet this season it’s been an impressive feat for Paul Hurst, and having lost just six times this season, it surely looks as though the Play-Offs will be worst case scenario for a side who haven’t been in the second tier of English Football since 1989.

If not at the expense of Charlton, I doubt there are any fans who’ll begrudge them that feat if achieved this May.

Charlton Team News
This Saturday will surely be 16-years too soon for William Stevens to make his Charlton debut… the youngest having received rave reviews for his dribbling skills will no doubt be a star of the game for years to come!!

On another down side; Tariqe Fosu, who made his injury return recently, missed the game against MK Dons with a muscle problem… Karl Robinson in his weekly press conference confirmed that Fosu may not be fit for this week, with Patrick Bauer (also forced off on Saturday) potentially missing himself. For weeks; Joe Aribo has been a talking point amongst fans, having been dropped for the returning Jake Forster-Caskey, Charlton finally made a return to winning ways when the youngster himself returned last time out.

Midweek saw the regular U23 fixture, with a number of First-Team players working on their match fitness… Jason Peace, Nicky Ajose and Michal Zyro all appearing in a 2-1 victory over Ipswich Town, with all three playing themselves into contention for Saturdays match.

Amos
Solly | Konsa | Pearce | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Reeves | Aribo | Kaikai
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lennon | Jackson | Marshall | Zyro | Ajose | Fosu

Prediction
Having not seen Shrewsbury play its actually difficult to see how they’re doing so well – The fact their last three defeats have been to teams in the top seven bode well for the Addicks. Its Football for a Fiver this Saturday so Charlton will no doubt be playing out of their skins for an occasion they’re rarely able to raise their game for… God knows how this one’ll go, yet with the game being refereed by a man who sent Charlton down to 10-men on the opening day of the season, its important that there are no rash decisions, on and off the pitch...

Comments

• Thanks Sid! :)

3-1 Charlton. Mag hat trick
  • Hoping Bauer is back. Don't like reeves playing wide. Fancy a narrow win though, 2-1
  • Must must must take our chances if we’re going to win this one
  • 1st game for two of my grandkids.
    3.1 Charlton
    Addicks till they die
  • FA, you have Reeves out wide, Most comments I have read on here is that he is too weak in that position and does not give Solly ant protection, so I can only see Marshall playing there, but I do agree with Aribo playing in the number 10 position. We have to win, but we never score enough, so 2-1
  • ross1 said:

FA, you have Reeves out wide, Most comments I have read on here is that he is too weak in that position and does not give Solly ant protection, so I can only see Marshall playing there, but I do agree with Aribo playing in the number 10 position. We have to win, but we never score enough, so 2-1

To be honest I left the squad completely alone after the MK Dons win as think it would be stupid to change the team

I dont rate Reeves so wouldnt start him, yet both him and Aribo started on Saturday so see the game again
  • Firstly, congratulations ForeverAddickted!

Secondly, solid effort for getting this posted after what I'm guessing was a short rest after 30 hours without sleep, and certainly not an uneventful 30 hours, to say the least.

I think this will be a stern test for us, given Shrewsbury's remarkable form this season, which is no doubt well earned. I fear a solid defence and hard working midfield may prove our undoing, though I would love to be proved wrong.

That said, something tells me things may just click for this game, and I am going for a well fought win. If I was a betting man (which I am), I'd go for the better odds at 3-1 to Charlton.

C'mon you Reds!
  • Sponsored links:

• When we score first we seem to struggle to consolidate or hold out for 3 points.

In this case I don't see us scoring.

0-2.
  • edited February 2018
    Hardest part of the decision for me is at centre back now we have Pearce back. Do you leave him out and keep Bauer and Konsa? Do you take out Konsa who has been playing well and go for the original two? Do you leave out Bauer who is dominant in the air? That’s the part that’s hard.

Also, @ForeverAddickted Phillips won’t be on the bench.

Amos
    Solly Bauer Pearce Dasilva
    Kashi Forster-Caskey
    Marshall Aribo Kaikai
    Magennis

Maynard-Brewer, Konsa, Jackson, Reeves, Fosu, Ajose, Zyro

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Shrewsbury Town
    Kaikai
    Magennis
  • edited February 2018
    Larger crowd off the back of an away win and the faint hopes of shifting the Belgian twat...chipper and still dreaming of a play off place and a deserved trip to Wemberly. A bright and crisp winters day...

1-2 to Shrewsbury.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • 3 goals to the Addicks - Mag, Aribo and Ajose. Not sure how many the Shrews will get.
  • Bauer may not be fit so I expect Konsa to play along side Pearce.

I would play Aribo in a defensive midfield with Kashie and Foster Caskey, with Marshall in front of Solly and DeSilva in front of Lennon.

It's not 4-5-1 Robbo - honest!
  • I know this seriously tempting fate but are the Shrews starting to feel the heat? Is this a good time to play them?

I will answer that question at 5 on Saturday.
  • Didn’t KR say Bauer was fit at his press conference? If he is then it’s Bauer and Pearce for me
    2-1
  • Dropping Konsa from CB in the form he's in is absolute insanity, unless you're shifting him right and dropping Solly, in which case it's only mild insanity
  • Sponsored links:

• Football for a fiver............the crowd turns up but the team doesn't

1-2.
  • This is a classic Charlton set up....Shrews tend to score lots late on and we tend to concede late on. I'll plump for a 2.2 draw with us throwing away a two goal lead in injury time.
  • Crass comment from Robinson about how Aribo might be lost from the game if he doesn't play. He might be lost from our club and head upwards
  • I only ever seem to see us win, lose or draw at the valley. Hopeful that it continues.
  • I think it’s wildly optimistic to think we can win this one. Draw at best. 1-1
  • edited February 2018

7-1. Magennis 4, Aribo, JFC and KaiKai.

All jokes aside, it’s going to happen sooner or later and this could just be the one where it does. On the other hand though they might just as easily be the odds on us winning...
  • Strangely confident about this one. No idea why. It’s such an odd league.
  • take a draw if offered, Shrewsbury have shown the league what can be done with a good set up, v lower league team as from what I've read big and physical, the type of team that will make mince meat out of our smaller players. there up there for a reason, i still don't think they will get autos and will drop off at some point, hopefully we do beat them as there fans are wankers.
  • 2 - 1 Charlton , Big Mac & BFG.