Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• It's only (I know that sounds like a pisstake if you're not already cycling, but it isn't meant that way!) 60-odd miles, so not as demanding as, say, RideLondon. If you're not riding at all the most important thing for the first few weeks is to get on your bike and ride. Don't worry about specific distance at this point - concentrate on getting as comfortable as you can on your bike. Make sure your saddle is the right height (generally needs to be much higher than you think!) and is comfortable (and by comfortable, I mean doesn't make your arse bleed after ten minutes). Get used to things like cornering, descending and climbing (don't do any 'proper' hills - just get accustomed to what it feels like to put the effort in necessary to get yourself up a grade, and freewheeling down a descent)

After about four weeks (or if you're already confident riding and can do ten miles in one go) start looking at specific ride distances. Leading up to the event, you'll want to increase your mileage to something approaching the amount on the day - but how quickly you ramp this up will depend on whether you're limited to one 'long' ride a week, or can do more riding in between. Something like this will work:

Week 1 - 10 mile ride
    Week 2 - 15 mile ride
    Week 3 - 20 mile ride
    Week 4 - 15 mile ride
    Week 5 - 20 mile ride
    Week 6 - 25 mile ride
    Week 7 - 20 mile ride
    Week 8 - 25 mile ride
    Week 9 - 30 mile ride
    Week 10 - 25 mile ride
    Week 11 - 30 mile ride
    Week 12 - 35 mile ride
    Week 13 - 30 mile ride
    Week 14 - 35 mile ride
    Week 15 - 40 mile ride

That will give you the miles in your legs, and not smash you to bits getting there

Cheers for that.
    I do need to look at allocating a bit more time to riding in the week but might have to wait until the clocks change for that.
    I’m very definitely not getting a new bike for this, but I did kind of boob when I got my current one in that whilst I tried all sizes of the bike I was going to get and decided that the L-frame was the best fit for me, I then last minute changed to a different model from the same manufacturer (Canondale) assuming that the L size would still work but in reality I think I would have been more comfortable in an XL. My seat post is already pretty much at its limits height wise and the saddle is moved to the back of the rails when I’d probably like another inch up and back to be super comfortable.
    Do you think I could get away with one of those “bent-backwards” seat posts??
  • edited February 2018
    Fumbluff said:

As a very old and very unfit novice who's just signed up to the London-Brighton (about time I started to do a lot of great work for charidee), how many miles a week do you lot think I should be looking at in terms of "training" over the next 16-odd weeks?
    And can you please confirm that the hill isn't really that steep/bad?

Ditchling is a bit nasty for all be solid club type riders as it comes after about 55 miles on the L to B. Very nasty for a beginner. However, as London to B has so many novices taking part it's actually quite hard to ride up it at all, because so many are pushing their bikes up and getting in the way.

I'm doing the Amsterdam ride as part of Team Charlton. I've never ridden 145 miles in two days (I've only one or twice ridden as far as 85 miles in one day), so I'm a little nervous about it. Will have to get on my bike soon to get some miles in.

I'm imaging quite a few from this thread are taking part as I think we're taking 30 riders.
  • Fumbluff said:

It's only (I know that sounds like a pisstake if you're not already cycling, but it isn't meant that way!) 60-odd miles, so not as demanding as, say, RideLondon. If you're not riding at all the most important thing for the first few weeks is to get on your bike and ride. Don't worry about specific distance at this point - concentrate on getting as comfortable as you can on your bike. Make sure your saddle is the right height (generally needs to be much higher than you think!) and is comfortable (and by comfortable, I mean doesn't make your arse bleed after ten minutes). Get used to things like cornering, descending and climbing (don't do any 'proper' hills - just get accustomed to what it feels like to put the effort in necessary to get yourself up a grade, and freewheeling down a descent)

After about four weeks (or if you're already confident riding and can do ten miles in one go) start looking at specific ride distances. Leading up to the event, you'll want to increase your mileage to something approaching the amount on the day - but how quickly you ramp this up will depend on whether you're limited to one 'long' ride a week, or can do more riding in between. Something like this will work:

Week 1 - 10 mile ride
    Week 2 - 15 mile ride
    Week 3 - 20 mile ride
    Week 4 - 15 mile ride
    Week 5 - 20 mile ride
    Week 6 - 25 mile ride
    Week 7 - 20 mile ride
    Week 8 - 25 mile ride
    Week 9 - 30 mile ride
    Week 10 - 25 mile ride
    Week 11 - 30 mile ride
    Week 12 - 35 mile ride
    Week 13 - 30 mile ride
    Week 14 - 35 mile ride
    Week 15 - 40 mile ride

That will give you the miles in your legs, and not smash you to bits getting there

Cheers for that.
    I do need to look at allocating a bit more time to riding in the week but might have to wait until the clocks change for that.
    I’m very definitely not getting a new bike for this, but I did kind of boob when I got my current one in that whilst I tried all sizes of the bike I was going to get and decided that the L-frame was the best fit for me, I then last minute changed to a different model from the same manufacturer (Canondale) assuming that the L size would still work but in reality I think I would have been more comfortable in an XL. My seat post is already pretty much at its limits height wise and the saddle is moved to the back of the rails when I’d probably like another inch up and back to be super comfortable.
    Like this?
  • @Fumbluff I’d go get a fitting. They’ll probably tell you it’s too small, but they may be able to do some minor things to make it more comfortable if you don’t want to buy another bike.
  • Fumbluff said:

It's only (I know that sounds like a pisstake if you're not already cycling, but it isn't meant that way!) 60-odd miles, so not as demanding as, say, RideLondon. If you're not riding at all the most important thing for the first few weeks is to get on your bike and ride. Don't worry about specific distance at this point - concentrate on getting as comfortable as you can on your bike. Make sure your saddle is the right height (generally needs to be much higher than you think!) and is comfortable (and by comfortable, I mean doesn't make your arse bleed after ten minutes). Get used to things like cornering, descending and climbing (don't do any 'proper' hills - just get accustomed to what it feels like to put the effort in necessary to get yourself up a grade, and freewheeling down a descent)

Week 1 - 10 mile ride
    Week 2 - 15 mile ride
    Week 3 - 20 mile ride
    Week 4 - 15 mile ride
    Week 5 - 20 mile ride
    Week 6 - 25 mile ride
    Week 7 - 20 mile ride
    Week 8 - 25 mile ride
    Week 9 - 30 mile ride
    Week 10 - 25 mile ride
    Week 11 - 30 mile ride
    Week 12 - 35 mile ride
    Week 13 - 30 mile ride
    Week 14 - 35 mile ride
    Week 15 - 40 mile ride

Cheers for that.
    Like this?
    Yeah are they any good?
  • Fumbluff said:

Fumbluff said:

Week 1 - 10 mile ride
    Week 2 - 15 mile ride
    Week 3 - 20 mile ride
    Week 4 - 15 mile ride
    Week 5 - 20 mile ride
    Week 6 - 25 mile ride
    Week 7 - 20 mile ride
    Week 8 - 25 mile ride
    Week 9 - 30 mile ride
    Week 10 - 25 mile ride
    Week 11 - 30 mile ride
    Week 12 - 35 mile ride
    Week 13 - 30 mile ride
    Week 14 - 35 mile ride
    Week 15 - 40 mile ride

Cheers for that.
    Like this?
    Yeah are they any good?
    It'll help, if you need the extra set back. Generally, people don't. If your saddle is too low and you can't get a higher seat post, then setting your saddle back won't help that problem - if anything it will exacerbate any issues on the 'scrape' part of your stroke. How tall are you? Definitely agree on getting a bike fit. Ain't cheap, but will help you decide whether you need to bite the bullet and get another bike (better to make that decision now, than later after you've ruined your knees...)

And sorry - forgot about Ditchling. For the novice it's definitely a challenge - though it's more of a mental one than a physical one for someone who's used to doing hills. Get the right gearing and you can get up anything physically, but there are (from memory) five bends in the hill, and the second to last one always catches people out cos it looks like it's the top... It can't be that bad though - I went up it on race gearing last year (39x22) and I'm a fat chopper.

Incidentally - I know you're doing it for charidee, but the L2B held in September is generally much better. Less people, but still thousands, and more chance of getting up Ditchling in one go. I did it the year before last and 'raced' it - crossed the line at about 9:15 while they were still setting out the drinks :lol:
  • Fumbluff said:

Fumbluff said:

Week 1 - 10 mile ride
    Week 2 - 15 mile ride
    Week 3 - 20 mile ride
    Week 4 - 15 mile ride
    Week 5 - 20 mile ride
    Week 6 - 25 mile ride
    Week 7 - 20 mile ride
    Week 8 - 25 mile ride
    Week 9 - 30 mile ride
    Week 10 - 25 mile ride
    Week 11 - 30 mile ride
    Week 12 - 35 mile ride
    Week 13 - 30 mile ride
    Week 14 - 35 mile ride
    Week 15 - 40 mile ride

Cheers for that.
    Like this?
    Yeah are they any good?
    Fine. You can have that with matching bars and stem if you want. I upgraded to Deda superzero
  • Cheers all, without wanting to appear even more like an amateur I took a gander at the bike this morning and it already has a layback post that must’ve come with it and it wasn’t as short as I remembered so I was able to get another inch of height out easily. I’ll give it a pootle out tomorrow morning to see if that makes it all a bit better.
    I think I’ll book it in for a service too and then start up the @Leroy Ambrose training schedule :tired_face:
  • Haha - get at it!

Double check that you haven't gone past the mimimum insert required for the seatpost. This should be marked with a line on it. If you have, the bike will be unsafe. Check this before you ride it... :neutral:
  • edited February 2018

Haha - get at it!

Double check that you haven't gone past the mimimum insert required for the seatpost. This should be marked with a line on it. If you have, the bike will be unsafe. Check this before you ride it... :neutral:

Don’t worry I’m not that tall....
  • Sponsored links:

• Fumbluff said:

Week 1 - 10 mile ride
    Week 2 - 15 mile ride
    Week 3 - 20 mile ride
    Week 4 - 15 mile ride
    Week 5 - 20 mile ride
    Week 6 - 25 mile ride
    Week 7 - 20 mile ride
    Week 8 - 25 mile ride
    Week 9 - 30 mile ride
    Week 10 - 25 mile ride
    Week 11 - 30 mile ride
    Week 12 - 35 mile ride
    Week 13 - 30 mile ride
    Week 14 - 35 mile ride
    Week 15 - 40 mile ride

Cheers for that.
    I have a Specialized Diverge in an xl size that is for sale. It's a good bike that has done me well. I now have a new touring bike which is why I'm selling.
    Interested?
  • First time on a bike this morning in 7 months, in the freezing cold, and my legs hated me even after 10 miles, hopefully it'll get easier
  • I'm a wimp, so starting on the turbo trainer next week, following the plan as laid out by @Leroy Ambrose, with some proper cycles mixed in once the weather improves. At this stage it's just a case of putting miles in the legs.
  • I cycle to work all year round. As long as you have the right clothes it's never been too cold or wet in my opinion. And anyway after a mile or two you're warmed up and looking to take layers off.
    The winter is, in some ways, the best time for cycling.
  • Anyone on here like Yehuda Moon?
    Yehudamoon.com
  • iainment said:

Fumbluff said:

Week 1 - 10 mile ride
    Week 2 - 15 mile ride
    Week 3 - 20 mile ride
    Week 4 - 15 mile ride
    Week 5 - 20 mile ride
    Week 6 - 25 mile ride
    Week 7 - 20 mile ride
    Week 8 - 25 mile ride
    Week 9 - 30 mile ride
    Week 10 - 25 mile ride
    Week 11 - 30 mile ride
    Week 12 - 35 mile ride
    Week 13 - 30 mile ride
    Week 14 - 35 mile ride
    Week 15 - 40 mile ride

Cheers for that.
    I have a Specialized Diverge in an xl size that is for sale. It's a good bike that has done me well. I now have a new touring bike which is why I'm selling.
    Interested?
    I think that looks a bit speedy for me but thanks for the heads up
  • Fumbluff said:

iainment said:

Fumbluff said:

Week 1 - 10 mile ride
    Week 2 - 15 mile ride
    Week 3 - 20 mile ride
    Week 4 - 15 mile ride
    Week 5 - 20 mile ride
    Week 6 - 25 mile ride
    Week 7 - 20 mile ride
    Week 8 - 25 mile ride
    Week 9 - 30 mile ride
    Week 10 - 25 mile ride
    Week 11 - 30 mile ride
    Week 12 - 35 mile ride
    Week 13 - 30 mile ride
    Week 14 - 35 mile ride
    Week 15 - 40 mile ride

Cheers for that.
    Interested?
    I think that looks a bit speedy for me but thanks for the heads up
    It's only as fast as you push it!
  • Can you imagine how much “training” I’m getting done at the minute
  • Should be no excuse - you've got a turbo!
  • Advice needed. Always wanted to go cycle early mornings, but never have done it. Wanted to start, but have no idea on what bike, what size frame/what accessories I need etc, can anyone help? I don’t know where to start... :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Buy a cheap hybrid from Decathlon before you spend a load of money on a good bike. Just to see if you like it first. You can pick one up for 200 quid - it'll be more robust than a road bike, but not as heavy as a mountain bike, so will give you an idea of what it feels like to ride. Size wise, it's not easy to give you a Ln absolute figure - but generally, 50-52 is for small, 53-56 medium and 57-60 large (5'4 - 5'7, 5'8 - 5'11 and 6' and above).
  • Bit of advice needed from some of the well-peddled on here:

This Summer, I've decided to do a three-day solo ride from Tower Bridge to Eiffel Tower (London - Newhaven, Dieppe - Paris), and will be following Donald Hirsch's route on the French side.

Just wondered if anyone's done this particular journey as would appreciate any views / tips, especially on stopover in Dieppe (end of Day 1), and 80-odd miles into the French route!?!?!?
  • edited March 2018
    Hi

Over three days that's a nice leisurely ride. Have you got a route to Newhaven planned? What sort of bike are you using? What's your level of bike fitness/estimated speed?
  • Had 2.5 weeks off the bike after I screwed my back on route to the Shrewsbury game. Amazed how much I’ve lost in that time, first few rides felt like I’d been out of the saddle for months.

Got a day off work next Monday so going to test myself with a London to Sandwich jaunt. Suspect I won’t be gaining many PRs on Stava!
  • Hi

Over three days that's a nice leisurely ride. Have you got a route to Newhaven planned? What sort of bike are you using? What's your level of bike fitness/estimated speed?

Wanted to keep it manageable as am an occasional rider (mostly running in last year, but am reasonably fit - done couple of HMs sub 1h45mins), reckon averaging mid-high teens MPH depending on number of training rides I manage to get in.

Will be on my road bike (Schills alloy frame, carbon fork, semi-slick tyres).

Have seen a few different routes to Newhaven. Either:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/101834707

http://travelloglewes.co.uk/index.php?page=london-lewes-paris-bike-ride

Totally undecided at the mo as to which way's best, will want route that's the least faff in terms of navigation and puncture-risk.
  • Just got my annual Ring of Kerry ride booked. 180k of fun with 9999 others.
    Would recommend this to anyone wanting a relaxed (but a bit hilly) ride in July.
  • _nam11 said:

Advice needed. Always wanted to go cycle early mornings, but never have done it. Wanted to start, but have no idea on what bike, what size frame/what accessories I need etc, can anyone help? I don’t know where to start... :(

Go to your local bike shop. They should be able to help with everything.
    As said a hybrid for 200 - 300 is your best bet.
    I'd suggest you get the following as well;

Lights
    a helmet
    Cycling gloves
    Pump
    Puncture kit
    Decent locks
    Sun glasses

Once you're hooked you'll find a hundred more things every month that you must have. It's the most expensive way to travel free!

Happy wheels.
  • Davey said:

Hi

Wanted to keep it manageable as am an occasional rider (mostly running in last year, but am reasonably fit - done couple of HMs sub 1h45mins), reckon averaging mid-high teens MPH depending on number of training rides I manage to get in.

Will be on my road bike (Schills alloy frame, carbon fork, semi-slick tyres).

Have seen a few different routes to Newhaven. Either:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/101834707

http://travelloglewes.co.uk/index.php?page=london-lewes-paris-bike-ride

Totally undecided at the mo as to which way's best, will want route that's the least faff in terms of navigation and puncture-risk.
    Best route to Newhaven is out via Clapham, Tooting, Reigate then down towards Lewes. There are quicker routes, but they're either hillier, or on shittier roads. Something like this:
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27062348

On the French side, the avenue verte should be fine for that bike - you just need to find somewhere to stop over. Beauvais is pretty nice, and sits halfway, so would suit your purposes. It's hard to be objective - I've done London to Paris twice, but it was via the longer route (Dover) and in 24 hours each time, so most of the French side was in the dead of night - but one of the feed stops was in Beauvais both times and it looks pretty nice (compared to a lot of Northern French towns, which are shitholes)
  • Thanks @Leroy Ambrose will go for your route down to Newhaven and check out Beauvais. Maybe 24 hrs for the next one?!?!?
  • It would be tough to do it solo, unsupported inside 24 hours. Both times I did it for charity and there was a minimum commitment of £1200 fundraising (of which I'm led to believe half covered the expenses)

I don't know if anyone does the ride any more - I know Scope stopped doing it two years ago, and whilst at least one other does it, they all go 'your' way via Newhaven, which isn't as much of a challenge as it's shorter. I'd love to guve it a crack again - did it in 23:09:51 the first time round, but reckon I can get inside 20 hours now (done a couple of solo rides of 350km inside 14 hours)

If you've never cycled in France before, prepare to be shocked - it's 100 times better than it is in the UK. Apart from Paris - which is like riding into hell.