Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Full Ultegra
    Deda Newton Bars
    Super zero seatpost and stem
    Prologo saddle

only done about 20 miles.

Winter wheelset available also Morvelo bibs XL, shirts XXL etc
  • Incase anyone hasn't seen this BBC documentary on GB cycling. Pretty interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09glhsh/britains-cycling-superheroes-the-price-of-success
  • I wouldn't call it worth watching. Basically the same shit that's been going on in the media for a year. The Daily Mail-fuelled attack on British Cycling's success (instigated solely by Beaverbrook as an attack on Murdoch) was bound to generate a few documentaries like this. Whether you think Sutton was a prick or not (and I think he is) his methods were undeniably successful. Jess Varnish simply wasn't producing the numbers - and track cycling is the most easily quantifiable sport on the planet (hence all the funding), so she had to go.

Can't wait for the next Olympics, where Britain bomb and come away with two bronze medal, then the British media can indulge in its second favourite pasttime after bringing successful athletes down - moaning about how much the taxpayer funds them
  • I wouldn't call it worth watching. Basically the same shit that's been going on in the media for a year. The Daily Mail-fuelled attack on British Cycling's success (instigated solely by Beaverbrook as an attack on Murdoch) was bound to generate a few documentaries like this. Whether you think Sutton was a prick or not (and I think he is) his methods were undeniably successful. Jess Varnish simply wasn't producing the numbers - and track cycling is the most easily quantifiable sport on the planet (hence all the funding), so she had to go.

Can't wait for the next Olympics, where Britain bomb and come away with two bronze medal, then the British media can indulge in its second favourite pasttime after bringing successful athletes down - moaning about how much the taxpayer funds them

You maybe right about cycling success at the next Olympics but I reckon it will be down to Australia and a few other countries catching up and being posting record times.

In principle I do agree with you about Sutton and Varnish.
  • So what's the best way to come back from 6 months off the bike with a shoulder/neck issue, been running to keep basic fitness there, but is it a case of just building up slowly slowly?

• Build up slowly, slowly, get into a regular routine, find current fitness (FTE?) and try and set a realistic improvement schedule, so you feel like you're working towards/achieving something... Commuting is a good way to get back on the bike, if that works for you...

(note to self: get back on bike after about 6 weeks off due to complete laziness...)
  • edited December 2017

I wouldn't call it worth watching. Basically the same shit that's been going on in the media for a year. The Daily Mail-fuelled attack on British Cycling's success (instigated solely by Beaverbrook as an attack on Murdoch) was bound to generate a few documentaries like this. Whether you think Sutton was a prick or not (and I think he is) his methods were undeniably successful. Jess Varnish simply wasn't producing the numbers - and track cycling is the most easily quantifiable sport on the planet (hence all the funding), so she had to go.

Either that or there will be demands for inquiries to understand how we can go from winning every track cycling event to winning nothing!! - Worst case scenario is British Cycling will fail to get Medals so will slowly have their funding cut...

Just hope all the work that Cavendish | Froome et al have done over recent Tours isn't for nothing and we sort to having a few British riders in the Tour de France peleton each year simply to make up the numbers
  • Probably been posted in this thread before. But first time I have seen them.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#9
  • I'm going to take part in this Prostate Cancer UK 'football' bike ride to Amsterdam next June, with 'Team Charlton'.

It's 145 miles, and I've never cycled that far in two days. Any tips for a 61 year old heading into the unknown? Have been cycling for about 6 years, but the mileage has been slipping over the last 12 months :-(

Would be really pleased if anyone could sponsor me: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/jimmyduttoncafc
  • Sponsored links:

• Haha - I used to ride that for race training when I lived daaahn saaahf. Some of the guys who ride it early in the morning (Regents Park Rouleurs) are seriously quick. It's pretty much the only place to ride relatively quickly anywhere in Central London. Cracking little route
  • JamesSeed said:

I'm going to take part in this Prostate Cancer UK 'football' bike ride to Amsterdam next June, with 'Team Charlton'.

It's 145 miles, and I've never cycled that far in two days. Any tips for a 61 year old heading into the unknown? Have been cycling for about 6 years, but the mileage has been slipping over the last 12 months :-(

Would be really pleased if anyone could sponsor me: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/jimmyduttoncafc

Up your mileage slowly - say a couple of miles a week. Once you're up to riding three or four times a week, then put a longer ride in once a week. Eventually, you'll get to the point where you're doing the mileage you need - then do rides on Saturday and Sunday back to back. Then you'll be set
  • Probably been posted in this thread before. But first time I have seen them.

Welcome to 2011 lol.

Have been obeying them since the year dot...erm...2011ish or so.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Probably been posted in this thread before. But first time I have seen them.

Welcome to 2011 lol.

Haha! Same here, pretty much. Though they;re tongue in cheek, it's still a good way to take the piss out of your mates :lol:

Not seen you on Strava for a while John - given up again already? :smiley: Or has your grain packed up again?
  • edited December 2017

JohnBoyUK said:

Probably been posted in this thread before. But first time I have seen them.

Welcome to 2011 lol.

Haha! Same here, pretty much. Though they;re tongue in cheek, it's still a good way to take the piss out of your mates :lol:

Not seen you on Strava for a while John - given up again already? :smiley: Or has your grain packed up again?
    In one word, fcuked.

This year has been a complete f'ing disaster. Spent the first 5 months of the year helping to nurse my father-in-law before he passed away, our building work at home ran from Apr-Oct and have been sorting out the mess ever since. So had very little time to devote to any kind of training and it didn't help that my gym turned into a storage zone for all our crap in the house that needed to be stored. Add in a bit of depression, stuffing my face and the fact that my groin is still not right, I'm heading in the wrong direction. Have had zero energy levels for the last 6 weeks after getting flu and desperately in need of putting my feet up. We're away in South Africa for 3.5 weeks just after Christmas so thats another month or so gone but at least I'll have some energy again when I get back. 2017 has been utterly sh*te.

I hope to get back to some kind of routine by February but I will be starting from scratch, as if I've never cycled before rather than someone who cycled 4-5,000 miles a year for 3-4 years. Base fitness is zero now. I've got some way to go before getting back to anything like I was a few years ago before I got injured.

But, and its a big but, it depends very much on my groin. I have STILL not been told by a medical professional what the issue is. It might be this, it might be that. I saw a chiropractor at the start of this year, seeing him twice a month and he is convinced he'll have me back running as its all related to a tilted pelvis, according to him. 9-10 months later, my back feels a whole lot better but the discomfort I get in my groin and hips is unbearable at times. I'm getting seriously cheesed off at paying between £90-120 a month on the chiropractor and I see no end in site. One minute it can feel good, the next not so. Even sitting here now at my desk typing this, I can feel its not right. It gives me no confidence at all to do anything in case I make it worse. So utterly frustrating.
  • JamesSeed said:

I'm going to take part in this Prostate Cancer UK 'football' bike ride to Amsterdam next June, with 'Team Charlton'.

My advice - chamois cream.
  • Regardless what happens now Froome is going to get hung out to dry by the media and those who wont want to wait for the facts.

Will be surprised if a year ban dont happen though
  • Lance Armstrong has been invited by Marco Pantani’s mother to attend the GF Marco Pantani later in the year?

I personally loved that era of cycling. I remember it fondly. I’m nearly 40 I suspect others my age have similar thoughts.

I wondered what people that about his invitation and possible attendance. I would like to see him attend. It’s time to move on.
  • Sorry but Armstrong was a lying cheating scumbag, and that was to the wife who supported him through his cancer years.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's a complete prick, but there are plenty of other complete pricks in cycling who have served far shorter bans (Ullrich, Rasmussen, Ricco, Basso, Riis, Vinokourov, Boogerd - the list is endless). Armstrong's biggest crime isn't his doping, its the way he's treated people. Inviting him to this, and the Tour Of Flanders dinner thingy is just a way of generating publicity.
  • Sorry but Armstrong was a lying cheating scumbag, and that was to the wife who supported him through his cancer years.

This, he ended up using cancer as a shield to deflect genuine questions about his past and inflict guilt on anyone who dare challenge him. The man is a psychopath who I wish the cycling press would just ignore so he can fade into the books of hell where he belongs.

Considering I lost my cycling loving Grandad to cancer and Armstrong ultimately used the horrible disease for his own gain I could write pages on how much I am repulsed by him, but its not worth it, just watch the below and see for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZgns7CXeUI
  • Okay hands up, who was it parked at the Hell of the Ashdown today with a Charlton Sticker and a British Cycling Sticker in the back of their car.

And if you are the race organiser - I hate you. Far far too much pain, but a great ride!
  • Home trainers/spinning bikes
    Any recommendations?
  • If you don't already have a bike, wattbike atom might be worth a look. If you do, get an Elite Direto. I used to have a Bkool, but the difference between them is night and day. There are better trainers, but none that offer as much as the Direto for the price.
  • It might have been Addick Mike Morgan, DS of the Catford CC Equipe Banks team.
    Glad that you enjoyed the ride. Splendid views from the top of the Ashdown Forest.

So he pretty much was the race organiser (considering it's run by Catford CC). This is awkward...

And here I was thinking it was someone on here sharing in the pain with me. What rides have people got planned for 2018?
  • CAFC Luke said:

It might have been Addick Mike Morgan, DS of the Catford CC Equipe Banks team.
    Glad that you enjoyed the ride. Splendid views from the top of the Ashdown Forest.

So he pretty much was the race organiser (considering it's run by Catford CC). This is awkward...

And here I was thinking it was someone on here sharing in the pain with me. What rides have people got planned for 2018?
    Racing all year, so not doing many big rides. Tour of Flanders sportive, Tour of Cambridgeshire and the Gran Fondo worlds in Italy if I qualify. The rest are all crits and road races. Learned my lesson last year - did the Fred, ToF, PR, ToC, three 200 miles with the club, a few other sportive type rides and then did the Gran Fondo worlds and nearly got killed by a Swedish idiot -
    so the second half of the year was poor for me, results wise. Not making that mistake again - I don't have that many years left racing.
  • As a very old and very unfit novice who's just signed up to the London-Brighton (about time I started to do a lot of great work for charidee), how many miles a week do you lot think I should be looking at in terms of "training" over the next 16-odd weeks?
    And can you please confirm that the hill isn't really that steep/bad?