Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Litter - can anything be done?

Driving along this morning the guy in front of me driving a flash BMW opens his door while stopped at the lights and dumps plastic bottles and cigarette packets onto the road. I don't really get what can be done to stop all the morons in London littering the city?

There is a sizeable minority of people who just don't seem to give a shit about their environment.

Comments

• Leuth said:

Arm pedestrians

What type of firearm?
  • Outside my shop up Grove Park BR, there were blue bins on every corner of the t-junction and 2 as you walk out of the station, but people still stood in my doorway, unwrapping their cigs and chuckin the foil and cellophane on the floor. Some didn't even wait til they got to the door and dropped it on the shop floor or the sweet display by the till. I'd always be clearing smoking wrappers off the display and even fag wrappers turn my stomach.
  • Driving along this morning the guy in front of me driving a flash BMW opens his door while stopped at the lights and dumps plastic bottles and cigarette packets onto the road. I don't really get what can be done to stop all the morons in London littering the city?

There is a sizeable minority of people who just don't seem to give a shit about their environment.

Makes me really angry. Don't suppose you've got a dashcam?
  • Similar thing happened to me recently, young woman through cigarette packet out the window. Really tempted to get out and throw it back in but the traffic started moving so opportunity lost. Just as well, probably would've got done for assault or some other such nonsense.
  • I also see it at the station car park. People just park and shove all their rubbish out the door.

And don't get me started on fly tipping. Often the lane up the road is blocked with stuff.
  • Large fines.

Would need to be enforced - won't happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Blow their fucking heads off with an assault rifle..........oops...sorry I thought I was Stateside.
    As I am in the UK, empathise with them because they had a shit upbringing and offer them counselling and a hug.

With a litter awareness course thrown in...
  • edited February 2018

Large fines.

Would need to be enforced - won't happen.
    It does happen, but the authorities need evidence. If you're prepared to provide a statement saying what you saw it would be progressed by my own local authority. I know this as I've done it myself. If you have the number at least report it as if they don't act on this occasion it's at least reported for the next time.

A lot of councils are contracting out the enforcement of minor littering offences to concentrate on more major fly tips and other types of environmental crime. But this brings with it the allegation that they are then overzealous

bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14272249.War_on_litter_louts__290_fined_in_three_months_since_enforcers_took_charge/

• Leuth said:

Arm pedestrians

What type of firearm?
    Full cans of alcohol
  • Littering really boils my piss, just no excuse for being a thoughtless, anti-social piece of shit. I got the train to Donny on Saturday and the state of the line was shocking, so much crap just thrown over back fences onto the embankments. There was a full rusty swing set that instead of being dismantled and disposed of down at the local tip it was just dumped over the fence intact amongst the bags of who knows what. I can’t comprehend the mentality of those who see nothing wrong with messing up their own environment.
  • Driving along this morning the guy in front of me driving a flash BMW opens his door while stopped at the lights and dumps plastic bottles and cigarette packets onto the road. I don't really get what can be done to stop all the morons in London littering the city?

Goes with the BMW driver character, I bet he was turning either left or right, although he mastered the door catch and a bit of antisocial housekeeping the indicator stalk is still a mystery item.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018

Driving along this morning the guy in front of me driving a flash BMW opens his door while stopped at the lights and dumps plastic bottles and cigarette packets onto the road. I don't really get what can be done to stop all the morons in London littering the city?

Goes with the BMW driver character, I bet he was turning either left or right, although he mastered the door catch and a bit of antisocial housekeeping the indicator stalk is still a mystery item.
    He's also trying to compensate for the inferiority complex he has over the minuscule size of his manhood! Go to his house and you'll find a Rottweiler. It bolsters his inherently low self-esteem.
  • was watching a Wanted Down Under the other day and when a little girl of about eight was asked why she voted to move to New Zealand she said 'because people put their litter in the bin'.

I just don't get why people can't either put it in a bin or take it home with them. Surely it's not that difficult? However, and this isn't being racist, I do wonder how much the increase in litter is due to the influx of residents from other countries. It's like queuing at bus stops, us Brits used to be really good at it but now it's just a mad scrum when the bus arrives.

Brexit = sorted :smile:
  • I was sitting in the car in Paddington and a bloke walking past dropped a coke can on the pavement about 20 yards from a bin.
    I got out and picked it up and followed him up the road and handed it back to him.
    He didn’t say anything, but dropped it again about a minute later.
    I won’t be doing that again.
  • JamesSeed said:

I was sitting in the car in Paddington and a bloke walking past dropped a coke can on the pavement about 20 yards from a bin.
    I got out and picked it up and followed him up the road and handed it back to him.
    He didn’t say anything, but dropped it again about a minute later.
    I won’t be doing that again.

Did you get your car back then from the police?
  • When I started getting the bus to school 30 years ago it was always an absolute scrum at the bus stop, so that can't be blamed on any supposed influx.

Equally, throughout my entire life every path, gutter, car park, play park, beach, basically any public space has a a liberal coating of dog ends and chewing gum.

Any recent increase in litter I don't think is down to an increase in littering, but a decrease in government spending, bins aren't emptied as often, streets aren't swept as often, rubbish builds up and blows around. Blame austerity, not immigration.

Austerity cuts have definitely played a part in my town. We used to have two council tips and recycling centres, one on either side of town but five years ago one was shut as apparently it wasn’t ‘cost effective’. Funnily enough in those five years the amount of fly tipping has gone up massively.
  • All the time ignorant bastards leave their litter for someone else to clear up,you wont ever stop it.But,when someone is caught ,give them a £500 fine ,they wont do it again.