Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why can't we defend a lead?

Is it a psychological issue or just down to poor tactics? It felt like the whole stadium was just waiting for us to fold as we approached the last 15 minutes.

You can almost feel the confidence drain away as the match progresses and it's becoming a worrying habit. We seem to lack a physical presence .

Comments

• For the last few years we have been bottlers. It isn't a recent phenomenon. Maybe the players only train for 80 minutes at a time? I swear no other club drops points like Charlton does in the last 10 minutes. It's like the opposite of Fergus Time.
  • It's a really well framed question. I said earlier, it feels like we have the yips. I think it's that self-perpetuating thing, like it feels like if we held on to beat Oxford we also would have held on to beat Donny and then we might have held on tonight as well. Some of it is definitely concentration. Is that nerves? Is that fitness? Is it shape? I'm just reframing your question at this point and my head hurts and I need a lie down.
  • I honestly believe that the players only listen to a miniscule amount of stuff that manager's say.
    We need some experienced players right now. A driving force to guide.
  • edited February 2018
    Fiiish said:

For the last few years we have been bottlers. It isn't a recent phenomenon. Maybe the players only train for 80 minutes at a time? I swear no other club drops points like Charlton does in the last 10 minutes. It's like the opposite of Fergus Time.

Yeah it's a good point, we definitely had this problem under Slade last year as well. Remember Wimbledon at home last year?

I'm trying to remember if we did this under Riga or Luzon the year before. I seem to remember it was more us going behind and then huffing and puffing and not scoring. Though there was that Hull game where we battered them and then conceded, but we won in the 97th minute (always missing you Johann).
  • Not fit enough and no hard man in the team to fight when up against it
  • Q-Why can't we defend a lead?

A- Because we are Charlton Athletic

Simples
  • Because we are too soft.

Because for all his strengths Da Silva is not physically strong enough when it comes to being bombarded by big lump league one types.

Because for all this playing it around the back for lengths of time Robinson likes to do to wear out the opposition we’d be better off getting it forward quicker and actually scoring more goals.
  • Football is a game of habits. Winning teams win games, the others just draw and lose. Goal scorers score goals - I see KAG got another one last night. There’s no doubt in my mind that we have the players to be a winning team but we just need to start. Once that first win is out of the way now I can see this lot winning more or less every game until the end of the season and doing it in style. We’ve missed the backbone of the team in BFG and Pearce. BFG is back, Pearce probably will play Saturday if he had 70 mins on Monday so that is the jigsaw back together again. MK Dons could get the backlash on Saturday and then it’s game on for the rest of the season once that monkey is off the players and fans backs.
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s the inability to change tactics earlier than the 80th minute. Last night the players sat back once we scored. And m What’s the point in giving subs 5-10 mins to change a game all the time. After 15 mins of the second half last night I would have taken off Marshall and stuck another forward on.
  • buckshee said:

Because we are too soft.

Because for all his strengths Da Silva is not physically strong enough when it comes to being bombarded by big lump league one types.

Because for all this playing it around the back for lengths of time Robinson likes to do to wear out the opposition we’d be better off getting it forward quicker and actually scoring more goals.

Not just Da Silva though as Solly is regularly out powered at the back post too - such as last night for the equaliser.
  • Da Silva out muscled their forward and wingers several times yesterday.
  • They don't have a winners mentality as a squad of players.

I said that at the time of "traingate" that a team and captain with a "win at all costs" mentality would not be merrily having a jolly up a couple of hours after losing an important anniversary game like the BTTV game v Portsmouth.

Insufficient mental strength and character.

Most of the individual players have the talent and potential but without developing those mental aspects they will always underachieve as a collection of players together and bottling it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Of course there is far more to it but attitude and mindset to winning and losing is a huge factor evident in winners and sulkers like Roy Keane, Ferguson etc.
  • edited February 2018
    Posted about this in the post match thread.

Soon after Magennis's neat headed goal we had a goal kick. The defender lobbed the ball slightly away from Amos, who took his time picking up and placing the ball, and even longer to kick it.
    Yes, we had started time wasting before the hour was up, despite being on top, despite being the home side. We should have been tearing into them and going for the jugular, but no, we sat back, slowed the game down, and eventually let them bully us. Why!? Just keep playing the way we were ffs. Stop trying to be clever. If Robbo's told them to slow the game down when we're ahead, well I'm done supporting him.
  • 1StevieG said:

It’s the inability to change tactics earlier than the 80th minute. Last night the players sat back once we scored. And m What’s the point in giving subs 5-10 mins to change a game all the time. After 15 mins of the second half last night I would have taken off Marshall and stuck another forward on.

It is funny how differently people see games. Whilst I agree with the timing and intent of the change you would have made, I would have taken off Fosu as he was knackered told Kaikai to stay wide left.

Marshall is a real team player who held a good shape all game, supplied a couple of excellent crosses and tracked back well. Fosu played well but tries to do too much himself, and when he did try and pass / shoot there was little end product (last night).

I remember an interview with curbs years ago where he said he splits the game into quarters saying if you win 3 or more quarters you should win the game. Last night I gave Charlton q1 and Bradford probably edged the other quarters. We only seemed to play with any intent at 0-0 and 1-1.
  • Simple, we don't score enough goals. It means we're regularly trying to hold on to 1 goal leads. We aren't strong enough defensively to handle that.
  • Problem is not scoring enough goals. That puts pressure on the defence. With the attacking players this team has I didn't think goals would be a problem. We just aren't putting teams to away when we should.
  • Lennon's fault
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018
    JamesSeed said:

Posted about this in the post match thread.

Soon after Magennis's neat headed goal we had a goal kick. The defender lobbed the ball slightly away from Amos, who took his time picking up and placing the ball, and even longer to kick it.
    Yes, we had started time wasting before the hour was up, despite being on top, despite being the home side. We should have been tearing into them and going for the jugular, but no, we sat back, slowed the game down, and eventually let them bully us. Why!? Just keep playing the way we were ffs. Stop trying to be clever. If Robbo's told them to slow the game down when we're ahead, well I'm done supporting him.

Wasting time with 30 mins left on the clock when only 1 up is embarrassing.

Amos (probably under instruction, because Rudd did it as well) has done it all season. Doesn’t release the ball quick enough. I really don’t understand why we can’t mix it up a bit...we have pace in the team so why he doesn’t punt the ball in to space quickly for one of them to get after, is beyond me.

I want it to work under Robinson, but I can’t see how it will if he is not willing to take more risks. He refuses even break away from his formation obsession. it’s all to predictable. He can even get substitutions right. In fact, he can’t get the basics right.
  • Scoham said:

Simple, we don't score enough goals. It means we're regularly trying to hold on to 1 goal leads. We aren't strong enough defensively to handle that.

This with knobs on.

Don't have to worry about letting A goal in if your 3 nil up. Its not a problem with our defence but with our attack
  • edited February 2018

Scoham said:

Simple, we don't score enough goals. It means we're regularly trying to hold on to 1 goal leads. We aren't strong enough defensively to handle that.

This with knobs on.

Don't have to worry about letting A goal in if your 3 nil up. Its not a problem with our defence but with our attack
    It's sitting back and slowing the game down when we're ahead. You're not going to score two goals, let alone three if you do that golfie. You've got to maintain the style of play that got you the goal in the first place. We hardly created a clear chance after going one up. Half chances yes, but that's not good enough at home to Bradford City.
  • Because Robinson's tactics are flawed. The best form of defence is often attack. If you try to hold on to a one-goal lead and fail then it's almost impossible to then try to turn things round and score a winner, so you are left hanging on for a draw. Which is fine in the FA Cup when you are looking for the lucrative pay-day of a replay but it doesn't work week in, week out in the league.
  • Limited ability, bottlers not battlers, roll on a takeover.
  • Boring boring chris Powell with his boring boring 1-0 wins ey?
  • Definitely poor decisions under pressure.
  • JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

This with knobs on.

It's sitting back and slowing the game down when we're ahead. You're not going to score two goals, let alone three if you do that golfie. You've got to maintain the style of play that got you the goal in the first place. We hardly created a clear chance after going one up. Half chances yes, but that's not good enough at home to Bradford City.
    And if it was a boxing match, the ref would have stopped it when we went one up. We were so much better than them it was embaressing. That fluent play ended the moment we got the goal - not in the second half when they had a chance to change tactics.
  • JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

This with knobs on.

And if it was a boxing match, the ref would have stopped it when we went one up. We were so much better than them it was embaressing. That fluent play ended the moment we got the goal - not in the second half when they had a chance to change tactics.
    Exactly. We changed tactics (started slowing the game down) right after our goal. Bloody dumb.