Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car SOS

On tonight with a Renault 5 Turbo refurb, I thought they were so cool in the 80s, car every teenager wanted. I ended up with a Citreon AX GT instead.

Great program.

Comments

• edited February 2018

On tonight with a Renault 5 Turbo refurb, I thought they were so cool in the 80s, car every teenager wanted. I ended up with a Citreon AX GT instead.

Great program.

I remember when they first came out I was walking down Sidcup hill when a young guy pulled out at the end of Knoll Rd, gave it too much welly, spun it and ended up facing the wrong way on the other side of the road. Not many people about but those who were pissed themselves.

Not a major fan of Car SOS, all a bit too much staged for my liking. Fuzz Townsend is worth watching but the other guy’s a dick.
  • Watched it last night for about 40 minutes. Totally disappointed, It spent to much time doing anything but re-building the car.
    Agree with 'DaveMehmet' it's over-staged and 'Tim' is a total prat.
    Prefer 'wheeler dealers' But I've seen every episode about four times !!!
  • On tonight with a Renault 5 Turbo refurb, I thought they were so cool in the 80s, car every teenager wanted. I ended up with a Citreon AX GT instead.

Great program.

"Coolness" is so subjective isn't it? In general, and despite their fine endeavours in other métiers I always thought French cars were the antithesis of cool. Here's my complete list of cool French cars: Peugeot 204 convertible, Citroën SM and, top of the pile the Facel Vega. (The latter - for the time - had vast quantities of horsepower. It probably needed it, as some were fitted with a two-speed automatic box.)
  • cafcfan said:

Great program.

"Coolness" is so subjective isn't it? In general, and despite their fine endeavours in other métiers I always thought French cars were the antithesis of cool. Here's my complete list of cool French cars: Peugeot 204 convertible, Citroën SM and, top of the pile the Facel Vega. (The latter - for the time - had vast quantities of horsepower. It probably needed it, as some were fitted with a two-speed automatic box.)
    What is not cool about this beauty?

• Citroen SM superb car.

I also had a 2 Citroen BX 19 GTI’s very quick and also the Citroen Prestige bit similar to the SM, all great cars.
  • bobmunro said:

cafcfan said:

Great program.

One of my all time favourite cars along with the Rover P5 .
  • I've always liked the Citroen Traction Avant. There used to be a place under the arches at Waterloo East that used to restore/mend old Citroens. I always used to glance in on my way home from work, it looked like an old time garage with old metal signs etc on the walls. Used to fascinate me. They always had loads of old cars parked in the streets nearby.

• edited February 2018
    How ironic this thread has reappeared.
    Just this moment looking at this;
  • Wanted one since I was 18.
    49 next week.....
    Used to have a 1303S when i was 20, but the dream was always a RHD Karmann Ghia.
  • How ironic this thread has reappeared.

Make sure they're not passing it off as an original convertible as opposed to one that's been converted at a later date mate (I'm not a Beetle expert but doesn't look original to me)

Nothing wrong with it if it's been done properly but will make a huge difference in the price.

• Sponsored links:

• Somebody mention the P5, now you're talking.
  • bobmunro said:

cafcfan said:

Great program.

Well, and again obviously from my perspective, it's got four passenger doors. Four doors indicates that it is either a company and/or family car which thus precludes it from coolness.
  • Daggs said:

Watched it last night for about 40 minutes. Totally disappointed, It spent to much time doing anything but re-building the car.
    Agree with 'DaveMehmet' it's over-staged and 'Tim' is a total prat.
    Prefer 'wheeler dealers' But I've seen every episode about four times !!!

There's a new series of Wheeler Dealers on Discovery. Minus Ed though.
    Its set in America as was the last series.

Make sure they're not passing it off as an original convertible as opposed to one that's been converted at a later date mate (I'm not a Beetle expert but doesn't look original to me)

Nothing wrong with it if it's been done properly but will make a huge difference in the price.

No Karmann badges on either front side panels.
    Rear windows look genuine.
    Got my doubts about the seller, so for that reason, I'm out.

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-KARMANN-CONVERTIBLE-BEETLE-TAX-EXCEMPT-1971/282841483478?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-KARMANN-CONVERTIBLE-BEETLE-TAX-EXCEMPT-1971/282841483478?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
    Old saying in the car trade: if in doubt, walk away.

I'walked from many a 'dream' deal, just to find a better car the next day, or the day after!

Think you're doing the right thing mate. I've had a look and it all looks a bit dodgy to me.

Older cars can end up being a money pit if you're not careful. Even a nice shiny one can be rotten underneath. Beware of ones who have had a recent blow over, fresh paint can hide a multitude of problems that won't take long to surface.
  • bobmunro said:

cafcfan said:

Great program.

Often thought about buying one but always thought the interior was a let down.

If you’re particularly after a beetle convertible, have a look at Type 2 detectives. They have a nice one for sale at the moment.

PM me if you want an intro.
  • Back in the 80s I had an Opal Manta GTE absolutely loved it.
    Much better than a Renault 5 Turbo in my opinion.
    Much better than a Renault 5 Turbo in my opinion.

RWD is the correct answer.

Seen a few 5 Turbos with collapsed front suspension - really weak area of a vehicle that delivered so much torque steer.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018

If you’re particularly after a beetle convertible, have a look at Type 2 detectives. They have a nice one for sale at the moment.

Couldn't see it on their website, but I think it would be far too rich for me.
    Was ideally looking for something that is RHD, solid (no rust), but maybe rough around the edges.
    The initial outlay on some of the vehicles advertised on that website are eye watering. Nice motors and no doubt restored to a very high standard, but out of my range.
    I don't see myself picking up a RHD Karmann Ghia from them for less that £18k

If however, you know otherwise SE10, let me know.

Thanks.
  • edited February 2018

Back in the 80s I had an Opal Manta GTE absolutely loved it.

Remember one of the young lads at work using his mum’s with L plates and me as his sidekick. :smiley: Not the car for learning to drive in the early 80s.

Remember one of the young lads at work using his mum’s with L plates and me as his sidekick. :smiley: Not the car for learning to drive in the early 80s.
    Great fun though

Was ideally looking for something that is RHD, solid (no rust), but maybe rough around the edges.
    The initial outlay on some of the vehicles advertised on that website are eye watering. Nice motors and no doubt restored to a very high standard, but out of my range.

Thanks.
    Class car prices have gone through the roof in the last few years mate.

Even the supposedly “lesser” classics have shot up,(saw a bog standard Austin A35 up for £10k the other day)
  • In that case, the "mid life crisis" might have to be placed on hold for a few more years mate.

Thanks.

Even the supposedly “lesser” classics have shot up,(saw a bog standard Austin A35 up for £10k the other day)
    Tell me about it! Some of the cars I had in the 70s and 80s that I bought and sold for relative peanuts are worth small fortunes now.

• bobmunro said:

Thanks.

Tell me about it! Some of the cars I had in the 70s and 80s that I bought and sold for relative peanuts are worth small fortunes now.

Ditto

Thanks.

If you’re after a Karman Ghia, then Californian classics near Hastings is a good shout. He brings them over from the states and can convert them to RHD.

You’d easily get a decent one for £18k.
  • Got an 87 MG Maestro 2.0 EFI. Everyone laughed at them back in the 80's but they are great fun to drive. Paid £350 in 2006, now worth anything up to £8,000. All old cars are worth a punt if you are prepared to hold onto them. As for insurance, my MG costs me £80 per year fully comp, so not a fortune to keep on the road.

Regret selling a MK 1 XR2 to a 'mate' for £250, many years ago now worth silly money

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-FORD-FIESTA-1-6-XR2-3D-95-BHP/173017916001?hash=item2848abe261:g:ZOUAAOSw~HBaJzl9
  • bobmunro said:

cafcfan said:

Great program.

Often thought about buying one but always thought the interior was a let down.
    Citroen DS ? I've got the modern day reincarnation, the DS5. Fantastic car, rare as hens teeth here, and gets lots of compliments from complete strangers!