Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has a spelling mistake ever pissed you off

I had to do some legal stuff following my dads recent death. Towards the end of the meeting, I was told we could not continue as my dads name had been spelt wrong by the registrar. Oh says I, not a biggy, I'll sort it out and re book another appointment with you.

I then asked have they put an 'E' on the end of Clark instead of without as that is the normal error? No says the guy, instead of Ronald, it says Roland.

The poor bloke on seeing my reaction said he couldn't believe how I changed from being so chilled about it one second to fuming the next.

Anyone else had a simple spelling mistake make them mad?

Comments

• Knot that I caan fink off
  • Totally unnecessary and gratuitous use of the letter ‘e’.
  • As a bit of a spelling nazi who works with a load of very well educated engineers not a Day passes when I don’t want to punch someone for brutalising our language
  • edited February 2018
    Yes apparently we have a striker on our books commonly known as McGuiness - must have missed that deadline day signing we made.
  • Our North American Colonial friends constantly make mistakes in their spelling.

It's our duty to pull them up on the correct way the Queens English is written.
  • My name is Anthony.
    NB That's Anthony spelt with a f*****g aitch.
    ( Note to the Americans and under 30's - you don't f*****g pronounce the aitch, it's silent)
    :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

As a bit of a spelling nazi who works with a load of very well educated engineers not a Day passes when I don’t want to punch someone for brutalising our language

Do they punch you back for unnecessary capital letters and missing full stops?
    Autocorrect does my head in
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

As a bit of a spelling nazi who works with a load of very well educated engineers not a Day passes when I don’t want to punch someone for brutalising our language

You can turn it off
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

You can turn it off
    I know. It often helps out but it also does really stupid random shit like put s instead of a.

And last week it thought I wanted to say ‘fumbling hell’

• I cant spel to my life. So it an everyday occurance for me.
    I work in a well known London Universty
  • Cracked me up rather than anything else. But a supervisor wondered why I wouldn't sign off an appraisal which said: "Darren's speeling is not up to standard".
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

ducking hell.
  • edited February 2018
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

You can turn it off
    I know. It often helps out but it also does really stupid random shit like put s instead of a.

Do you have a Samsung? My work phone is, and the autocorrect drives me insane. Random capitals in emails are a particular gripe.

(Cue another Apple/Samsung battle for the people that think it matters)
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

You can turn it off

Do you have a Samsung? My work phone is, and the autocorrect drives me insane. Random capitals in emails are a particular gripe.

I love Samsung and am very anti Apple but the auto correct on a Samsung is utter w@#k
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

You can turn it off

nope - iPhone fanboy here

• Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

You can turn it off

nope - iPhone fanboy here

iBerk, don't come in here with your overpriced phone, spelling mistakes and American lingo, this threads for android users wot hate shit grammar and predictive text and that innit
  • Can't stand people who canot spell.
  • No...but there is always one pedantic buffoon who reminds me.
  • I was working on my genealogy a while back, and after going back a few generations successfully found out that my surname could be spelled about six different ways. Apparently during the time when not everybody could read and write, the census takers spelled peoples names the way they thought they should. My genealogy research has been very challenging as a result.
  • I really hated it when I saw "decent owner willing to spend money on getting back to the premier league" spelt "Roland Duchatelet".

Not only was the spelling wrong but the correct spelling of "Roland Duchatelet" is actually "C*nt"
  • edited February 2018
    My name is actually Darrel so I see y's, l's, r's and n's dropping into my name or replacing other letters all the time.

Do not disrespect someone by spelling their name incorrectly, it's rather upsetting.
  • limeygent said:

I was working on my genealogy a while back, and after going back a few generations successfully found out that my surname could be spelled about six different ways. Apparently during the time when not everybody could read and write, the census takers spelled peoples names the way they thought they should. My genealogy research has been very challenging as a result.

Limy,limmy, lemmy, lem of Ghent,limey git?
  • No...but there is always one pedantic buffoon who reminds me.

That sounds like my cue...
    What grates with me in the OP is '...my dads name had been spelt wrong by the registrar.'
  • The word accommodation. The times I have seen it with either one c or one m. Even on hotel or B&B notice boards. Sorry, just my pet hate