Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Done Deal or a Waiting Game.

Been overseas for last 4 weeks, but have been reading this with great interest. I have a question for the Aussies and everyone here,after seeing our player loans and our performances since the window closed would you bet £45/£50mn now on us going up this year?
Rumours are there are Chinese sniffing around and Mcleish/Muir syndicate have pulled out, leaving Aussies in driving seat, but what is their or anyones rush.
Roland is losing £750,000 a month ,team can't score goals,Manager too indecisive on selection and substitutions causing us to stumble every time we try to pick up momentum.
I would now wait until season is over, save 3/4 months of losses,clear out players I don't want,appoint a Manager to get his own squad and get us out of this League next year.
Why have Aussies not closed out a deal yet? they supposedly were the group that did DD in October, and some say agreed a deal.Did Roland then shop around to get a better deal so they sat back and said take it or leave it, and they still have best offer on the table?
Who knows really whats going on other than Roland and maybe Murray, but any sensible business man now would wait,what is the rush with window closed and team so inconsistent.

Comments

• Think a bite size one would be handy
  • Normal, well run clubs are already planning for the summer be that fitness schedules, pre-season games, players to release, players to sign, areas to strenghten and that's just on the playing side.

On the admin and ground side normal, well run clubs will be setting ticket prices, planning refurbishments and repairs, cleaning lounges and seats, buying new equipment, re-negotiating catering and shop deals, planning kit launches.

At Charlton there is the added need to actually start some building work at the training ground.

Buyers could wait to the summer to start all that or they could start now and give themselves a proper lead in time.

They also might believe that a takeover would boost chances of promotion with a positive vibe and bigger gates.

They could even want to change the manager and give the new guy a longer time to prepare for the summer.

So lots of good reasons to buy now.

Whether they see those as important or as more important as waiting to get the right deal from Duchatelet I have no idea.

I can quite believe that at least one party has said "here's our offer, we're leaving it on the table, it's up to you to accept it or not but we're not upping it and we're not walking away".

Not saying one party left bid on table, but puzzled as to why if a deal/DD all agreed in principal 3 months ago , why they are still being talked about, while others do DD.
    If I wanted to buy a London Club with a Premier League Ground ,with a local Council that is generally supportive of said Club , then I might leave my bid on the table if I was confident that no one would beat it,or I was in no mad rush anymore as window closed.
  • Davidsmith's comments make a lot of sense. Too late now for new owners to improve the team and make promotion a real prospect this season. Operating monthly losses will continue on regardless.
    As much as I want to see change now, why would any new investors accept an on-going financial loss situation when they are powerless to improve their prospects until the Summer?
  • Why not put this on the Takeover thread?
  • Self importance.
  • Davidsmith's comments make a lot of sense. Too late now for new owners to improve the team and make promotion a real prospect this season. Operating monthly losses will continue on regardless.
    As much as I want to see change now, why would any new investors accept an on-going financial loss situation when they are powerless to improve their prospects until the Summer?

See my comments above.

Normal, well run clubs are already planning for the summer be that fitness schedules, pre-season games, players to release, players to sign, areas to strenghten and that's just on the playing side.

On the admin and ground side normal, well run clubs will be setting ticket prices, planning refurbishments and repairs, cleaning lounges and seats, buying new equipment, re-negotiating catering and shop deals, planning kit launches.

At Charlton there is the added need to actually start some building work at the training ground.

Buyers could wait to the summer to start all that or they could start now and give themselves a proper lead in time.

They also might believe that a takeover would boost chances of promotion with a positive vibe and bigger gates.

They could even want to change the manager and give the new guy a longer time to prepare for the summer.

Whether they see those as important or as more important as waiting to get the right deal from Duchatelet I have no idea.

I can quite believe that at least one party has said "here's our offer, we're leaving it on the table, it's up to you to accept it or not but we're not upping it and we're not walking away".

Not saying one party left bid on table, but puzzled as to why if a deal/DD all agreed in principal 3 months ago , why they are still being talked about, while others do DD.
    If I wanted to buy a London Club with a Premier League Ground ,with a local Council that is generally supportive of said Club , then I might leave my bid on the table if I was confident that no one would beat it,or I was in no mad rush anymore as window closed.
    Was there a deal agreed in principal three months ago? What's your source for that?

We know DD took place but threw up 34 issues (at least one of which is to my certain knowledge not resolved although it might be considered so minor by some as to not need addressing).

So even if DD was done it would have thrown up issues and the buyer and seller couldn't agree on a price and payment structure.

You're right that the transfer window closing removes one reason for haste from the buyer but, as you again say, the losses give Duchatelet many hundreds of thousands of reasons to get the deal done sooner rather than later.

I would hope the new buyers are here for the long term and also know they will lose money early on. For those reasons they maybe keen to get started and have a long lead in time for a summer of major activity at the Valley and at Sparrows Lane.

WIOTOS

See my comments above.

Normal, well run clubs are already planning for the summer be that fitness schedules, pre-season games, players to release, players to sign, areas to strenghten and that's just on the playing side.

Was there a deal agreed in principal three months ago? What's your source for that?

We know DD took place but threw up 34 issues (at least one of which is to my certain knowledge not resolved although it might be considered so minor by some as to not need addressing).

So even if DD was done it would have thrown up issues and the buyer and seller couldn't agree on a price and payment structure.

You're right that the transfer window closing removes one reason for haste from the buyer but, as you again say, the losses give Duchatelet many hundreds of thousands of reasons to get the deal done sooner rather than later.

I would hope the new buyers are here for the long term and also know they will lose money early on. For those reasons they maybe keen to get started and have a long lead in time for a summer of major activity at the Valley and at Sparrows Lane.

WIOTOS

I don't think Duchatalet having hundreds of thousands of reasons to get deal done is driving a deal,its what buyers prepared to pay,admittedly he can get in driving seat by dropping his price, but so far that hasn't happened.
    Sources also say Ex Directors Loans have to be sorted and Duchatalet is not paying, maybe that was the major stumbling block in 34 issues?
    If you were in it for long term why lose money with Duchatalet's Manager and Squad,what is the mad rush, wait until he is hurting more financially than he is now and strike a better deal in May.
    Deal in principal agreed in October, with some conditions,that is true.
  • Buying now allows some planning and prep for next season, the idea it’ll be easier to sign players in July is for the birds
  • Sponsored links:

See my comments above.

WIOTOS

I don't think Duchatalet having hundreds of thousands of reasons to get deal done is driving a deal,its what buyers prepared to pay,admittedly he can get in driving seat by dropping his price, but so far that hasn't happened.
    Sources also say Ex Directors Loans have to be sorted and Duchatalet is not paying, maybe that was the major stumbling block in 34 issues?
    If you were in it for long term why lose money with Duchatalet's Manager and Squad,what is the mad rush, wait until he is hurting more financially than he is now and strike a better deal in May.
    I disagree. Duchatelet losing money is very much driving the deal. That, and that his mad experiment has failed, are exactly why he's selling.

Whether another two, three or six months of losses is enough to get him to drop his terms we don't know.

The ex-directors bonds don't have to be sorted in the sense of them being paid. There is an option to roll them over again. Whether that happens is up to the new owners and the ex-directors to agree but can't see why Duchatelet would pay them either way.

Deal now or deal in May. Buyers may all walk away leaving Duchatelet holding the baby or on the other side Duchatelet may sell to another buyer leaving the current front runners with no club. It's a game of poker.

"Deal in principal agreed in October, with some conditions,that is true" Source for that?

it would tie with the "imminent" story from October but why are you so sure?

Because if you want promotion next season you have to get the ball rolling now otherwise forget it.

See my comments above.

WIOTOS

I disagree. Duchatelet losing money is very much driving the deal. That, and that his mad experiment has failed, are exactly why he's selling.

Whether another two, three or six months of losses is enough to get him to drop his terms we don't know.

The ex-directors bonds don't have to be sorted in the sense of them being paid. There is an option to roll them over again. Whether that happens is up to the new owners and the ex-directors to agree but can't see why Duchatelet would pay them either way.

Deal now or deal in May. Buyers may all walk away leaving Duchatelet holding the baby or on the other side Duchatelet may sell to another buyer leaving the current front runners with no club. It's a game of poker.

"Deal in principal agreed in October, with some conditions,that is true" Source for that?

Duchatalet losing money is not driving the deal, he thinks it is and wants out,but buyers drive deals as they pay the price or not,as is the case so far . I want to sell my House its worth £1mn , best bid £850,000 I don't sell.Also this particular House has a £7mn Mortgage to clear as well.
    Its not 2 or 3 months that will get him to drop the price thats just the starting point, its the thought of owning for another season with no recognised Finance Director or CEO and having to support Manager and Squad to keep it saleable.
    Ex Directors Loans can be rolled over if a buyer is happy to buy with Equity Injection or Subordinated Loans without first call on assets.If they want to clear charges it will cost them £7mn or part thereof if any Ex Director is mad enough to take a discount, when they hold the assets.
    Maybe frontrunners are gambling on their bid based on due diligence etc and as you say playing Poker willing to walk if someone pays more.
    My sources I cannot expose for obvious reasons, but like Rick are well placed to know the facts, ask yourself if it ties in with the imminent story from October ,why has no deal been done.
    Its a waiting game and maybe your Poker analogy is correct.
  • edited February 2018

Davidsmith's comments make a lot of sense. Too late now for new owners to improve the team and make promotion a real prospect this season. Operating monthly losses will continue on regardless.

See my comments above.

WIOTOS

Duchatalet losing money is not driving the deal, he thinks it is and wants out,but buyers drive deals as they pay the price or not,as is the case so far . I want to sell my House its worth £1mn , best bid £850,000 I don't sell.Also this particular House has a £7mn Mortgage to clear as well.

It's not a mortage though. And of course Duchatalet losing money is driving the deal but it take two to tango like any deal

Its not 2 or 3 months that will get him to drop the price thats just the starting point, its the thought of owning for another season with no recognised Finance Director or CEO and having to support Manager and Squad to keep it saleable.

Which is what I said before. He wants to sell and the sooner the better if he can get the right price.

Ex Directors Loans can be rolled over if a buyer is happy to buy with Equity Injection or Subordinated Loans without first call on assets.If they want to clear charges it will cost them £7mn or part thereof if any Ex Director is mad enough to take a discount, when they hold the assets.

Agree but it's not a mortgage. A new owner might see it as a £7m payment that is deferred until we get to the Premier League when there will be plenty of money to cover it but it would also make sense to pay now and have full control over assets. For us as fans it might be better to have other fans with a form of sanction

Maybe frontrunners are gambling on their bid based on due diligence etc and as you say playing Poker willing to walk if someone pays more.
    My sources I cannot expose for obvious reasons, but like Rick are well placed to know the facts, ask yourself if it ties in with the imminent story from October ,why has no deal been done.

I don't know, that's why I'm asking you. You're being slightly obtuse. My guess is because what Meire and Joyes said wasn't what the buyer's lawyers found and that caused a difference in valuation.

We shall have to see. I still think a deal is possible this month or any month following.

See my comments above.

WIOTOS

It's not a mortage though. And of course Duchatalet losing money is driving the deal but it take two to tango like any deal

Which is what I said before. He wants to sell and the sooner the better if he can get the right price.

Agree but it's not a mortgage. A new owner might see it as a £7m payment that is deferred until we get to the Premier League when there will be plenty of money to cover it but it would also make sense to pay now and have full control over assets. For us as fans it might be better to have other fans with a form of sanction

I don't know, that's why I'm asking you. You're being slightly obtuse. My guess is because what Meire and Joyes said wasn't what the buyer's lawyers found and that caused a difference in valuation.

We shall have to see. I still think a deal is possible this month or any month following.

Not being Obtuse, my guess is they want Loans removed and stale mate over who pays.
    It is a First Charge over all Assets (A Mortgage by any other name) repayable in Premier League ,but cost of removing £7mn if you want Club free of all debts if you are financing with debt yourselves, or part thereof as I stated if some prepared to take a discount.
  • I've just read another poster saying it's fallen through.
  • edited February 2018

Davidsmith's comments make a lot of sense. Too late now for new owners to improve the team and make promotion a real prospect this season. Operating monthly losses will continue on regardless.

See my comments above.

WIOTOS

Not being Obtuse, my guess is they want Loans removed and stale mate over who pays.
    It is a First Charge over all Assets (A Mortgage by any other name) repayable in Premier League ,but cost of removing £7mn if you want Club free of all debts if you are financing with debt yourselves, or part thereof as I stated if some prepared to take a discount.
    Key point. That’s the only thing which gives the ex-directors leverage IMO. If you want to use the assets to raise money you presumably need those charges released.

Another thing I would say is that the club doesn’t lose the same amount each month, because its cashflow is irregular. For example there is no gate money in the summer and central payments are made at particular times of the year.
  • What's everyone's favourite pot noodle?

• I can quite believe that at least one party has said "here's our offer, we're leaving it on the table, it's up to you to accept it or not but we're not upping it and we're not walking away".

From February 11.

The Aussie Muir was/is that party.

One piece of speculation put to me a few weeks ago was that RD has set himself a deadline (hence the talk of it being done by February from Murray and Keohane) to find a better offer or go back the bid on the table from A Muir.

We know now that D Muir et al have walked away so now Duchatelet can take the Aussie bird in hand (the "done deal") or Red Henry's Mysterons (another "done deal").

Or maybe he thinks it's not enough and believes that they is still a better offer out there to be done and is willing to hang on?

When it's on the OS.
  • edited February 2018

From February 11.

The Aussie Muir was/is that party.

One piece of speculation put to me a few weeks ago was that RD has set himself a deadline (hence the talk of it being done by February from Murray and Keohane) to find a better offer or go back the bid on the table from A Muir.

We know now that D Muir et al have walked away so now Duchatelet can take the Aussie bird in hand (the "done deal") or Red Henry's Mysterons (another "done deal").

Or maybe he thinks it's not enough and believes that they is still a better offer out there to be done and is willing to hang on?

When it's on the OS.
    This makes a lot of sense amongst all the posts on the takeover thread.

Maybe RD is hoping RedHenry's group will match the A Muir bid which could be the 'done deal' but perhaps this is the 'prefered bidder' if they have deeper pockets than A Muir's bid.

Just a theory, no inside info.
  • Sponsored links:

• Deal or no deal