Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are we always going to be an angry fanbase now?

Obviously an element of how football fans are throughout the country, but growing up we were always fairly nice and forgiving fanbase in comparison to others.

Of course it’s always frustrating conceding late goals, but it is a part of the game and Charlton letting you down is not a new phenomenon. Guilty of it myself to an extent, but slight worry the last 5-6 years has carried so much crap and frustration it’s going to take a long time until some people get back to enjoy being a Charlton fan again.

You only have to see the amount of people who for one reason or another have never taken to Robinson and are waiting for us to screw up so they can launch into him, and the pretty sh*tty ‘support players like Lennon and Sarr have received in recent months.

I agree there is a big underperformance going on this season, so not disputing that, but just feels a lot more vitriol these days imo.

Thoughts?

Comments

• You are just getting old
  • edited February 2018
    Honest not angry
  • No worse than when Big Mak got booed on to the field, or Fox or Francis or Nick Pope were on the receiving end.
  • Or when Mark Aizlewood got unfair stick.

• I heard Johnny Summers got a bit of stick............just before he changed his boots and banged in 5 goals!
  • We've always seemed to love alienating a particular player.
    It didn't seem to bother me so much on the terraces as you could move away from the eejits.
    But seats have made me want to commit murder on numerous occasions.
  • edited February 2018
    better owners = better manager = happ(ier) fans.
  • I think the answer to this lies in observing the reactions of other fans watching alternative clubs. A quick dip into the delights of Arsenal Fan TV or whatever it's called maybe. Or watching Chelsea lose 4-1 to Watford in a pub just up the road from Stamford Bridge, as I did this week, will soon provide some comparison as to where we are on the scale of impatience...and it's not very high up imo.
  • Roland goes and the atmosphere surrounding the club improves.

Simples
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018
    I have been a Charlton fan for 60 years. Frustration has always been a part of that. I have only wanted to see 100% effort from the players chosen to be part of the team. Never expected CAFC to be full of world class players but just those good enough to make us proud on the day and take us as far up the league or in the cups as they could.

PS. Never even dreamt of supporting another club.

• It's possibly a modern day internet thing.
    All of our thoughts, opinions, criticisms can be shared within minutes of something happening.
    I blame football forums.
  • It's possibly a modern day internet thing.
    All of our thoughts, opinions, criticisms can be shared within minutes of something happening.
    I blame football forums.

I blame big money and the owners/managers being considered more important than the clubs themselves.
  • With Robinson in charge, yes angry
  • Over the years it has allways seemed to me that our best players have been sold over the managers head , and certainly with this mob owning us now.
  • Obviously an element of how football fans are throughout the country, but growing up we were always fairly nice and forgiving fanbase in comparison to others.

Of course it’s always frustrating conceding late goals, but it is a part of the game and Charlton letting you down is not a new phenomenon. Guilty of it myself to an extent, but slight worry the last 5-6 years has carried so much crap and frustration it’s going to take a long time until some people get back to enjoy being a Charlton fan again.

You only have to see the amount of people who for one reason or another have never taken to Robinson and are waiting for us to screw up so they can launch into him, and the pretty sh*tty ‘support players like Lennon and Sarr have received in recent months.

I agree there is a big underperformance going on this season, so not disputing that, but just feels a lot more vitriol these days imo.

Thoughts?

I think the sentiment in that first paragraph could have been common among many fans almost every year since 1948.

Yet, every fan, when asked to recount their most vivid Charlton memory will point to the good stuff before the bad. That's why we keep coming back.
  • I’m thinking once we see the back of RD we will be a more united fan base. As to whether or not we are a more angrier base these days, no doubt the last 4 years have contributed to a higher level of anger in the stands

I can only speak from a personal level, and I actually feel that my anger and outbursts to players has mellowed over the last few years. That’s probably more of an age thing and maturing on my part than to do with the RD era though

I never agree with booing a CAFC player but when you’re in the heat of the moment and they make a mistake or are having a bad game, I will admit to having let out a few expletives

I remember going mental at Darren Ambrose back in 2008 away at Scunthorpe after he’d failed to beat the man on the near post for about the 3rd successive corner. I was sat right near him and just couldn’t help let out a volley of ‘ffs Ambrose you’re fucking shit etc’

I will never do it for young players.

In answer to the orginal question I just don’t know

Certain people are more comfortable using terms like gobbinson and scouse prick etc which I don’t agree with personally, but on the whole I think we’re probably still quite a (looking for the right word here) good bunch, just a little more on edge given the last 4 years
  • Sponsored links:

• You are just getting old

Probably mate, just spent five minutes looking for my slippers
    Were they on your feet ?

I think society in general is intolerant and “angry” these days. I fear that the answer to your question is yes.

• Social media has changed things, a larger number and wider range of people now use the internet to share their opinion. Although it was always there I feel there was a lot less anger/vitriol 10/15 years ago. The split in our fan base has probably made it worse with pro and anti CARD/protest, Robinson, RD/KM etc sections.
  • Seven seasons in the Premiership would do this to most clubs tbf, especially when wedded to our existential moment and the terribly deficient ways in which society looks to combat or mollify masculine rage
  • edited February 2018

You are just getting old

Probably mate, just spent five minutes looking for my slippers
    Were they on your feet ?

I think society in general is intolerant and “angry” these days. I fear that the answer to your question is yes.

As others have said, the internet now allows keyboard warriors a means of venting their not always rational spleens.

Anger and frustration has however always been part and parcel of supporting our wonderful club. I remember as a yoof Harry Gregory being booed roundly by sections of the crowd but no internet then to build up a broader resentment - just steam radio in my day. Curbs getting stick - I’m sure Jimmy Seed used to as well.

But yes, generally I would agree with you SHG that society is less tolerant than it used to be although of course football reflects that rather than causes it.

P.S. anyone who disagrees with my opinion can just f*ck off!

• Well i am moderately peeved.
  • How do you do. I’m somewhat peeved.
  • edited February 2018
    I do think we seem to be getting much more angry about seemingly less important things. Right, anyone want to make something of it?
    :wink:
  • 3blokes said:

I do think we seem to be getting much more angry about seemingly less important things. Right, anyone want to make something of it?
    :wink:

Part of a general thing and not new IMO. I remember talking to someone about Chomsky (radical American academic and commentator) who'd written about how sport was an area that working people were allowed to sound off about because it wasn't threatening to the status quo. I took Chomsky's argument to show how ordinary workers were capable of understanding things to great depth when allowed. The person I was discussing this with thought that it meant sport was a "distraction from the revolution". (I still think I was right but it shows the shallowness of much of what passes for thinking on the left).
    The great and the good and the captains of industry would far rather we discussed whether our team is any good, the impact of VAR, Danny Green's house (other footballers' houses are available) than who is in charge in our society, how they got that power and what we can do about it if we want to change it.

Coming back to the OP, I try not to boo or shout abuse at the players as I don't think it helps. I'll boo referees and opposition cheats, but if someone has parted with his/her hard-earned to come and watch some of the dross we've seen in the last 4 years I'm not going to tell tehm they can't boo away.

I think KR is tactically weak, but he does at least understand football is an entertainment business.