Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why are you an Addick?

1235»

Comments

• Cheers James, all the best your book
  • edited February 2018
    4th generation Addick and pretty sure my mum was going to put me up for adoption if I supported anyone else.

Would love to keep the family tradition going with my boys when they're a bit older.
  • My Dad started supporting Charlton to piss off the rest of his family, all of whom are Palace. I moved around a bit as a kid and didn't get to go to many games (thankfully I was there in 98), but if anything that made me dig in - not being able to go much gave it more of an aura when I did, and there's nothing like being the only Charlton fan in a school for helping you to develop the stubbornness an Addick needs.

In typical Charlton fashion I moved back to London just after we won League 1 - boycotting has been a challenge after a couple of years of finally being able to go regularly, but it'll be particularly sweet once the cloud lifts.
  • Born in Sidcup, and moved to Catford when I was 2, so it was either us or either of the filth. Lucky my favourite colour as a kid was red!!

While I fall in and out of love with football, Charlton will always remain a constant. I have been forcing / taking my son to the odd game over the years and he seems keen, but yet to get the bug where he want's to keep coming. Fingers crossed once Roly pisses off my son will be hooked.
  • Family have been going since 1938. My uncle took me to a game in the 1967-68 season: it's been my side ever since.

Geographical proximity too as well. Various bits of the family have been resident in SE London since the 1880's.
  • Having been born in the back bedroom of 11 Floyd Road, it was inevitable I would become an Addick I suppose. Along with the fact that my Mum and Dad both worked in the Valley Club and we would go through the back door to watch the matches. I just grew up watching Charlton.

Over the years, my Grandfather worked for the club after he retired from his day job as weekend watchman when there was no home game, and chief tea maker for the players at half time then running the baths at full time. My Mum, sister and younger brother have all had spells working in the bars in the North and East stands too. Even I did a few shifts in the west stand bar when the London Bronco's played at the Valley.

So we have had a long connection with the club and I adore the club and ground.
  • Grew up with my Great-Grandad | Grandad | Dad all being Charlton fans yet all had stopped going before I showed up so didnt get the bug from them

As a Child I got into Football from talking to my neighbour who was a West Ham fan, went to school where I followed the teams that my friends supported (so Spurs and then Man Utd) - Got free tickets to Charlton v Sunderland through the school in '94 yet the Coach never turned up so didnt get to go... Instead got to go; Charlton v Stoke (again through the School) later that season, remember the game ended 0-0.

From that moment I begun to realise I had more chance of seeing Charlton than Man Utd so started to pay more attention for our results than theirs

Someone my Dad worked with realised I'd started to support Charlton (He was a Season Ticket Holder in the East Stand) so took me along to a handful of games between '94 - '98... At the same time my parents started to send me off for the Charlton Soccer Schools that happened each School Holiday - Got free tickets again to the Bradford game at the start of the '98 season which we won 4-1 and by then I was hooked and no going back...

Never have seen a First-Team game with my Dad yet we went to a Reserve Fixture together @ Park View Road years ago as wanted to see Rurik Gislason make his debut

I guess my Dad used to regularly yet slowly stopped as he had other things to do - With my own kids coming along its the reason I've been so reluctant to join in with stopping my Season Ticket as worried the same will happen with me and really want to experience the feeling of taking my children to their first games and (hopefully) getting hooked the same way I have been over the years

Guess the moral of the story is had Charlton not made such an effort to bring in fans back in the 90s (Free School tickets, so many kids for a quid or £4) then I wouldnt have started going.

Is something that the Belgians should take note of and something the new owners should take note of if they want to see a packed Valley again

Further to the above I learnt on Sunday (from my Dad) that my Grandad was very possibly at either the '46 or '47 FA Cup Finals - Sadly he died in 2002 so its something I'll never be able to ask him as would know to know if he did and what it was like etc.

Lesson for us all... If we have questions for our Grandparents or Parents then ask

Else when they go, the past goes with them
  • For some it seems the path to The Valley was mapped out at birth, by virtue of family & residence.

Not as straightforward for me or many Londoners I guess - I always reflect on how i could have easily ended up supporting 6 or 7 different teams, depending on circumstances.

My Dad was from Millwall itself, and that was his team. But when i was very young we lived in Clapton, and though I was never taken there, I think Spurs were an early favourite, and Jimmy Greaves an early hero. But Millwall became 'my' team, and I did persuade my Dad to take me there a few times. But he was over-protective, and wouldn't take me to the big FA Cup game they had in 1967 against Spurs (over 40,000 in there that day). He thought it would be too much of a crush, plus it was around that time that classic Spanner behaviour was setting in.... Plus the Millwall fan two doors down from me was a nasty piece of work...

That must have killed it for me, and it opened the door for peer-group opportunity (never 'pressure') and Charlton to kick in - a year or two later I was off to The Valley with mates, and never looked back.

So you could say that indirectly the altogether nicer experience of going to Charlton was key. I doubt that many Millwall fans give a stuff, though.
  • Grew up in Cheshire, Dad, Grandad etc had all been charlton supporters and grew up in the big smoke. I didnt want to be a Stoke fan for sure (nearest club) and definitely didn't want to be a Man u/city supporter so hear I am. Suffering.
  • I'm not a fan of Charlton, i'm just a fan of the Network...
  • Sponsored links:

• my brother and dad supported them and I in truth had no real interest in football but followed arsenal because well a boy in the 90's had to follow football. My first game was Colin Walshes testimony opponents totenham we lost 3-1. Fell in love love the athmosphere the crowd the singing, the game was secondary. Ended up singing 'you fat bastard' to Chris Armstrong when he was having a lounge on the patch of grass in the north corner we bit hypocritically as I was a very FAT kid.
  • My Mum knew Sam Bartram well + closest Club.

• It's my Dad's fault.

Distant cousins of my Mum even played for West Ham. She was born and bred nearby, before being bombed out in the Blitz.
    But Dad insisted that I go to Charlton with him, when most of mates supported Arsenal, West Ham, Spurs and even Millwall.
    I refer you to OohAaaargh's legendary post in his battle to brainwash his kids.

It's the cross I have to bear, even though it's provided so many good memories and even more disappointment.
    53 seasons worth.

Even though I now live in Cornwall, I still get up to see matches whenever I can.
    People say to me, come and support Argyle with us - but even though Argyle is a proper traditional club with proper traditional fans, and it's always a good time with mates when I go .....well you know, it's not the same. I bleed red & white, not green.

• my brother and dad supported them and I in truth had no real interest in football but followed arsenal because well a boy in the 90's had to follow football. My first game was Colin Walshes testimony opponents totenham we lost 3-1. Fell in love love the athmosphere the crowd the singing, the game was secondary. Ended up singing 'you fat bastard' to Chris Armstrong when he was having a lounge on the patch of grass in the north corner we bit hypocritically as I was a very FAT kid.

I remember that, he got dogs abuse all night