Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Buying a holiday place in Spain

Anyone got any experience of buying a holiday place in Spain. We're considering on/near the coast an hour from Alicante and/or Valencia airports? Anyone visited anywhere such as Oliva, Torreveija?

Comments

• Anyone got any experience of buying a holiday place in Spain. We're considering on/near the coast an hour from Alicante and/or Valencia airports? Anyone visited anywhere such as Oliva, Torreveja?

Rent
    Parents own a place in Los dolses near vilamartin.
  • clb74 said:

Anyone got any experience of buying a holiday place in Spain. We're considering on/near the coast an hour from Alicante and/or Valencia airports? Anyone visited anywhere such as Oliva, Torreveja?

Rent
    Why rent?
  • edited February 2018
    I'm currently looking in Murcia (Mar Menor area) which is about an hour from Alicante and 15 minutes from Murcia airport, and the southern Costa del Sol between Gibraltar and Marbella (Malaga and Gib airports equidistant). Murcia is pretty cheap in comparison, the beaches are great, the climate amongst the hottest in Spain and brilliant if you like golf. Probably more do do though along the Costa del Sol coast.

You basically need to add around 13% to cover legal costs, stamp duty equivalent and so on - so based on current exchange rates just look at the euro price and that's what it would cost overall if you changed the euro sign to £.

I'm baulking at the moment though as until brexit is finalised the residency situation is a bit up in the air, and I would hope to spend a fair bit of time out there once I retire in a few years.

• As nice as the idea of owning a property abroad sounds, think of how many holidays you could have being booked into a 4 or 5 star hotel for the same money. Of course you wouldn’t have the benefit of owning an appreciating asset but given how property in Spain has gone in the past that’s probably no great loss; or how it might go if Brexit causes uk citizens an issue with living in Spain; or Spain decides to tax foreign owned holiday properties extra to make up for any shortfall in tourist income.
  • edited February 2018
    The east coast between in the Valencia and Alicante area is a great location for year-round good weather and access to bigger cities and airports. Further down in the Murcia province will definitely get you more for your money. I would say the Costa del Sol in comparison is quite overpriced and if anything it can actually be too hot in the summer.

The north coast from Galicia to Asturias is lovely in the summer but very rainy for lots of the year so not great for a destination you want to visit all year round (unless you like mountains and hiking) but beautiful in Spring and Summer. Appropriate to these factors, holiday homes are a fraction of the price in the north of Spain.

Brexit is definitely looking like it will make it more complicated to buy in the future, but there will always be a market here for holiday homes or permanent relocation and I have to say the quality of life is excellent! Good luck with it all.
  • Fully agree with the above.
    If you are thinking of living out there full time, then go with a six month let, to start.
  • I have a property in Cabo Roig, 10 minutes south of Torrievieja and 45 minutes from Alicante. PM me if you have any questions.

It is a good time to buy at the moment as property prices have been gradually on the rise and predictions are that they will get back to the levels of 10 years ago before the market crash in Spain in the next couple of years.

Get yourself a recommended English speaking solicitor!
  • clb74 said:

Anyone got any experience of buying a holiday place in Spain. We're considering on/near the coast an hour from Alicante and/or Valencia airports? Anyone visited anywhere such as Oliva, Torreveja?

Rent
    Why rent?
    Elfs depending how long your going to spend time wise out there you can pick long term rents up quite cheap.
    Last few years mum dad been out there 3 months winter time and no more than a month the rest of the year.
    Also puts you off going to other places they also have rci timeshare.
    You got the yearly running cost, spainish taxes.
    Had the place about 18 years not gone up much in that time of course there was one time when the price went up.
    Buy a place in England rent in spain
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018
    Essex_Al said:

I have a property in Cabo Roig, 10 minutes south of Torrievieja and 45 minutes from Alicante. PM me if you have any questions.

It is a good time to buy at the moment as property prices have been gradually on the rise and predictions are that they will get back to the levels of 10 years ago before the market crash in Spain in the next couple of years.

That strip is like a mini Benidorm.
    Had a good "golfing" do there last October.
    There was a few who ended up walking over the bridge of shame.
  • Thanks for all the comments. Just buying somewhere for short breaks for now (both of us can work from home so will do long weekends and will still have the normal holidays. Not looking for a permanent home, yet. That's a few years down the line. Particularly looking for knowledge of towns; relaxed but not too quiet but not Benidorm. And yes, will talk to Derek about the process
  • Brother in law just sold a small house in Denia located between Alicante and Valencia . Visited a few times and very impressed with the town and surrounding area.
  • Essex_Al said:

I have a property in Cabo Roig, 10 minutes south of Torrievieja and 45 minutes from Alicante. PM me if you have any questions.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

A step up from your caravan in Essex then Al!
  • Some great areas around Benidorm, La Cala,Denia,Altea and La Vila Josa.I know someone who got a 6 monthly rental for 300 Euros a month in La Cala ,plus electricity bills
  • edited February 2018
    clb74 said:

bobmunro said:

I'm currently looking in Murcia (Mar Menor area) which is about an hour from Alicante and 15 minutes from Murcia airport, and the southern Costa del Sol between Gibraltar and Marbella (Malaga and Gib airports equidistant). Murcia is pretty cheap in comparison, the beaches are great, the climate amongst the hottest in Spain and brilliant if you like golf. Probably more do do though along the Costa del Sol coast.

You basically need to add around 13% to cover legal costs, stamp duty equivalent and so on - so based on current exchange rates just look at the euro price and that's what it would cost overall if you changed the euro sign to £.

I'm baulking at the moment though as until brexit is finalised the residency situation is a bit up in the air, and I would hope to spend a fair bit of time out there once I retire in a few years.

Your firm not got a branch in Gibraltar Bob you could do a bit out there
    Yes, we’ve got offices and about 500 staff in Gibraltar. If I ever chose to ‘work’ out there I would live on the rock for tax purposes. This is more for when/if I ever retire!

I’ve also considered the long-term rental option that you mentioned above.

• Essex_Al said:

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

A step up from your caravan in Essex then Al!
    Sold it to a Gills supporter mate!

Had the gaff in Spain for 11 years now.
  • Have a look at La Marina. The village (the urb is away from the coast), is lovely and the beach is sand dunes, several good bars/ restaurants open all year. 1st village past the lakes.
  • Place I know well is El Campello, half hour on costal tram (brilliant) from Alicante. Mainly holiday homes for Spaniards from Madrid so rammed in August, but otherwise comfortable. Only about 3 English bars in town which I like as get to practise schollboy spanish. Favourite bar, they can't speak a word of english. Lovely beach, marina and promenade. Brilliant fiesta in October.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:

Have a look at La Marina. The village (the urb is away from the coast), is lovely and the beach is sand dunes, several good bars/ restaurants open all year. 1st village past the lakes.

Been going to the beach with La Candela restaurant on it for the past 15 years.
    Since the eldest was a year old.
    In laws had a place in Dolores, but have moved to Daya Nueva.
  • Colleague of mine bought 12 years ago and is now looking to sell at a loss to what he paid, in Murcia.

I thought about it and tried to convince siblings to join me in a kind of ‘friendly’ timeshare between 3 or 4 couples. No one was interested. Had we bought when we wanted about 6 months before Brexit we would have made a killing in the exchange rate alone!
  • Anyone got any experience of buying a holiday place in Spain. We're considering on/near the coast an hour from Alicante and/or Valencia airports? Anyone visited anywhere such as Oliva, Torreveija?

My dad has a place in Moraira about an hour north of Alicante. He's selling it at the moment if you're interested! It's a nice place. He originally moved to Murcia about 18 years ago and moved up there about 10 years ago.
  • Essex_Al said:

Did anyone get knocked out by a fire door though?

;)
  • Nug said:

Anyone got any experience of buying a holiday place in Spain. We're considering on/near the coast an hour from Alicante and/or Valencia airports? Anyone visited anywhere such as Oliva, Torreveija?

My dad has a place in Moraira about an hour north of Alicante. He's selling it at the moment if you're interested! It's a nice place. He originally moved to Murcia about 18 years ago and moved up there about 10 years ago.
    Thanks but just starting the research. Not buying for a good few months yet
  • Place I know well is El Campello, half hour on costal tram (brilliant) from Alicante. Mainly holiday homes for Spaniards from Madrid so rammed in August, but otherwise comfortable. Only about 3 English bars in town which I like as get to practise schollboy spanish. Favourite bar, they can't speak a word of english. Lovely beach, marina and promenade. Brilliant fiesta in October.

El Campello looks a good option, thanks
  • Was in Mojacar (amongst other places) last September, lovely old town as well as a beach resort close by.....from there we drove up to Trevelez and Pitres in the Alpujarras mountains...lovely part of the world.
  • agree about El Campello or the village behind it Busot. Campello has a bar which I believe is closing called Rabeco which serves the strongest spirits/mixers ive ever had (which is why its popular with expats, and there are quite a few in that area). Curbs has/had a place there (La Font) and could be seen around Campello.
    30 mins mountain drive away in Alcoy Terry Venables and his missus Yvette have a lovely hotel/restaurant called La Escondida and TV meets/greets/chats with guests/diners (when he is there, about 8 months of the year) - we nearly bought a villa in La Drova, 10 min drive inland from Gandia in 2008 after selling our Eltham home but everything went tits up in the financial world and the advice from my employers, a major US Corporate Bank was to pull out. So we rented in Bexleyheath for a couple of years before buying on the Costa del Thanet. If its not a holiday home you want but permanent would agree with others about renting. Why not rent out your UK property out and try renting for a couple of years. 3 bed semi in Eltham equals 3 bed 2 bath detached villa with pool and enough left over to pay community charges and utilities.
  • Colleague of mine bought 12 years ago and is now looking to sell at a loss to what he paid, in Murcia.

I thought about it and tried to convince siblings to join me in a kind of ‘friendly’ timeshare between 3 or 4 couples. No one was interested. Had we bought when we wanted about 6 months before Brexit we would have made a killing in the exchange rate alone!

Only if you had bought the place outright with spare cash. If you had taken out a mortgage then your monthly mortgage payments would have taken the shine off it.
  • agree about El Campello or the village behind it Busot. Campello has a bar which I believe is closing called Rabeco which serves the strongest spirits/mixers ive ever had (which is why its popular with expats, and there are quite a few in that area). Curbs has/had a place there (La Font) and could be seen around Campello.
    30 mins mountain drive away in Alcoy Terry Venables and his missus Yvette have a lovely hotel/restaurant called La Escondida and TV meets/greets/chats with guests/diners (when he is there, about 8 months of the year) - we nearly bought a villa in La Drova, 10 min drive inland from Gandia in 2008 after selling our Eltham home but everything went tits up in the financial world and the advice from my employers, a major US Corporate Bank was to pull out. So we rented in Bexleyheath for a couple of years before buying on the Costa del Thanet. If its not a holiday home you want but permanent would agree with others about renting. Why not rent out your UK property out and try renting for a couple of years. 3 bed semi in Eltham equals 3 bed 2 bath detached villa with pool and enough left over to pay community charges and utilities.

Thanks BR. Not a permanent move and am selling a London property and use the equity. Will be like a second home for a few years before any permanent move