Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Full steam ahead

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

agree @AFKABartram although will be interesting to see how Magennis reacts after yesterday.

Top two is gone in my view unless we somehow go on an incredible run. We'd need something better than the 97/98 season where from Feb onwards I think we only lost 3, drew 3 and won 11.

With 18 games to go 12 wins, 3 draws would be 39 points would put us on 85, probably still not quite enough for a top 2 which could well reach near on 90 points.

I think this year we'll need something around 76 points for the play offs. That's still more than 1.5 points a game....... achievable for sure, but not easy and three of the last four games of the season are tough Shrewsbury, Portsmouth and Blackburn. With four games to go we need to be on 72 points.

What happened to Magennis yesterday?
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

agree @AFKABartram although will be interesting to see how Magennis reacts after yesterday.

Top two is gone in my view unless we somehow go on an incredible run. We'd need something better than the 97/98 season where from Feb onwards I think we only lost 3, drew 3 and won 11.

With 18 games to go 12 wins, 3 draws would be 39 points would put us on 85, probably still not quite enough for a top 2 which could well reach near on 90 points.

I think this year we'll need something around 76 points for the play offs. That's still more than 1.5 points a game....... achievable for sure, but not easy and three of the last four games of the season are tough Shrewsbury, Portsmouth and Blackburn. With four games to go we need to be on 72 points.

What happened to Magennis yesterday?
    Club turned down bids from Bolton apparently
  • Options
    I can't see anyway we won't make the play-offs. By the standards of this piss-poor league, we have a top class squad of players. And the two recent loan signings should make the squad even stronger and deeper than most in this Division. Anything other than qualifying for the play-offs would be seriously underachieving and I can easily see us going on a run of results that lets us overtake Scunthorpe, Bradford City and Rotherham without too much problem.

To me the question is much more, can we challenge for a top two place. Seems pretty unlikely to be fair as Wigan will surely run away with one spot. But we still have to play Shrewsbury both home and away - win them both and they will only be 6 points in front of us - and put a run of results together and Blackburn's current 13 point lead over us could easily fall to 5 or 6 as well. And Blackburn still have to come to the Valley. In fact, if we can go on a long winning run (similar to what Reading did a few years ago), it will be interesting to see how Blackburn and Shrewsbury cope with that pressure.

Of course, if we lose to Oxford on Saturday then ignore all the above and prepare to settle for a mid-table finish!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

It’s easy to forget in the aftermath of a few wins that we haven’t played well for a full 90 minutes for ages. Hopefully we can put that down to injuries and the lack of a settled defence, as well as a bit of bad luck with our finishing.

Kaikai, Zyro and Mavididi look potentially to be a real handful at this level. Can’t wait to see what they have to offer. Where they fit in with Magennis is anyone's guess though.

My one concern is that we lack a bit of steel in midfield for those robust encounters against the more physical sides. That could be a real problem.

I’ve snapped up quite a few tickets for friends for the Shrewsbury match. But in the meantime, fingers crossed for Oxford!

The opportunity to finally play Magennis in his normal role (see Northern Ireland for reference)?

• Options
    Sold one of our best players to Sheff Utd though !
    For a poxy 400k - AGAIN !
  • Options
    Finish 4th.

A nothing, bottlejob, standard big-game performance in the home tie. 2-0 to the visitors.

Win the away tie 1-0.

Never change, Charlton...
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Wait... No trains?

• Options
    No top six no Robinson next season, surely can be no excuse other than a worse injury run than we have endured, on paper squad has pace and goals aplenty.
  • Options
    yeah playoffs were minimum at start of season, now most would take them, playoffs are all well and good if you win them.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

We won 8 on the spin, before drawing the final game away 0-0 to playoff contenders Brum.
    And won those games with a stack of clean sheets.

25 points from 9 games. Incredible run that propelled us straight into 4th place - that's momentum for you.

Repeat that this season and who knows?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    54 points to play for

last 5 seasons

16/17 autos 100 & 86 playoffs 82-73
    15/16 autos 87 & 85 playoffs 84 - 74
    13/14 autos 99 & 91 playoffs 89 - 69
    12/13 autos 103 & 94 playoffs 86 - 74
    11/12 autos 84 & 83 playoffs 79-74

autos we would need a minimum of 84 meaning another 38 points.

playoffs we would need a minimum of 74 points meaning 28 points.

either are doable autos would rely on other teams but playoffs i would say are very much in our grips.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Wait... No trains?

You're proper Charlton, aren't you Dazzler?

• Options
    edited February 2018
    You're looking at 90+ points for the top three as of right now.

Two thirds of the way through the season you'd be shocked if any of those had a major blip but maybe one will surely drop 5-10 points - I would say that'll be Shrewsbury but everyone's been predicting their form will tail off for months.

The point is that automatics are pretty much sewn up by this point.

80 points has to be the target - 34 points from 18 games or ten/eleven wins. Get there and we have a decent chance of a second leg at home in the play offs.
  • Options
    robroy said:

Updated squad

See above.

I didn't realise Bowyer was the assistant manager. Thought he was a coach like Jacko.
  • Options
    My bad. Did this via my phone, did not read back
  • Options
    All very good but had this sort of squad been in place at start of season we would likely of got autos, I’m not over the moon with getting the playoffs, I’m not even with that lunatic owning us despite the last few wins we have been underperforming.

What I fear is we will get in a cemented play off position can’t catch top 2 then we’re preparing for playoffs and we’ll lose and won’t get to Wembley, Charlton in my lifetime of supporting the club don’t do big games apart from downing them palace bastards at home.
  • Options
    I've clearly had too much Charlton Life - I assumed from the thread title this was about trains rather than football!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Thats a really decent tweet from the club... Be good if they did that at the end of August too

Also I know we've three CBs on the left yet reckon we could field two competitive starting elevens at this level and still be around mid table
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:

I've clearly had too much Charlton Life - I assumed from the thread title this was about trains rather than football!

Wish it was.
  • Options

Loving the good vibe but sadly Roland is still in charge so my boycott remains in place.

#notapennymore

All day long.

We get into the play-off final I'll be there though.

How good would it be if we are 100% free of Duchatelet before the final and go up.
  • Options

I can't see anyway we won't make the play-offs. By the standards of this piss-poor league, we have a top class squad of players. And the two recent loan signings should make the squad even stronger and deeper than most in this Division. Anything other than qualifying for the play-offs would be seriously underachieving and I can easily see us going on a run of results that lets us overtake Scunthorpe, Bradford City and Rotherham without too much problem.

To me the question is much more, can we challenge for a top two place. Seems pretty unlikely to be fair as Wigan will surely run away with one spot. But we still have to play Shrewsbury both home and away - win them both and they will only be 6 points in front of us - and put a run of results together and Blackburn's current 13 point lead over us could easily fall to 5 or 6 as well. And Blackburn still have to come to the Valley. In fact, if we can go on a long winning run (similar to what Reading did a few years ago), it will be interesting to see how Blackburn and Shrewsbury cope with that pressure.

Of course, if we lose to Oxford on Saturday then ignore all the above and prepare to settle for a mid-table finish!

Bradford and Portsmouth do not draw many games, I think that will work against the pair of them and we will snatch the 6th spot.
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:

You still opened the thread though, thinking it was about trains, TeslaGirl. You're proper Charlton :smile:

• Options
    The bookmakers view is .

BETFAIR EXCH as short as 4/7 we finish top 6, whilst Evens can be got at SKYBET. Skybet will also give you 11/10 we make the playoffs. Obviously you lose your money were we to finish in the top 2.

Promotion best price is 7/1 with Ladbrokes or Betfred. This is either via automatic or playoffs.

To finish as Champions 250/1 with all regular firms. Although the newcomers UBET and 888 will give you 500/1.

So you have a £100 to play. £50 evens to make playoffs and £50 promotion looks the way to go. Playoffs see you get your money back. Promotion sees you I up £400.
  • Options
    Someone should point out to the club that we'll probably need more than #onegoal to get promoted ...
  • Options

The bookmakers view is .

BETFAIR EXCH as short as 4/7 we finish top 6, whilst Evens can be got at SKYBET. Skybet will also give you 11/10 we make the playoffs. Obviously you lose your money were we to finish in the top 2.

Promotion best price is 7/1 with Ladbrokes or Betfred. This is either via automatic or playoffs.

To finish as Champions 250/1 with all regular firms. Although the newcomers UBET and 888 will give you 500/1.

So you have a £100 to play. £50 evens to make playoffs and £50 promotion looks the way to go. Playoffs see you get your money back. Promotion sees you I up £400.

I think my £50 on us to end up top half is looking good.
  • Options
    Full steam ahead you say.............
  • Options
    Suggest you change this thread title to going backwards...