Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bobby Moore was a Charlton fan

edited January 2018 in General Charlton
Going through 60 years of accumulated stuff as I get ready to move to Wales. I have come across a bound folder of the first 25 editions of " Shoot " magazine starting from August 1969. In the very first edition there is an interview with Bobby Moore where he describes himself as a Charlton fan. he says it was a toss-up between us and West Ham but he preferred us as we were 1st Division when he was a boy and it was easy enough to get to the Valley because of the Woolwich ferry.

Comments

• Bobby Moore was a Charlton fan? Is that common knowledge?

Amazing and I had absolutely no idea.
  • Must be karma. We shared the same birthday, 12th April.

Was always a huge fan of Bobby Moore. My first away game was when Charlton played West Ham at Upton Park in January 1964 in the third round of the FA Cup. We lost 3-0 and they went on to beat Preston 3-2 in the final.
  • Where are you moving to mate ?
  • Where are you moving to mate ?

We are moving in two weeks time. We have bought a house in Wenvoe but it won't be ready until the summer. Until then we are renting in place in Penarth.

• Can you take a screen shot of the article?
  • @Mametz

We need a photo of that article.

Ok,

As you probably know I have some other stuff for the museum. I will make sure you get it before I head off the land of my wife's fathers.
  • Small world. My boy goes to school in Wenvoe. Lovely place
  • edited January 2018
    Mametz said:

Going through 60 years of accumulated stuff as I get ready to move to Wales. I have come across a bound folder of the first 25 editions of " Shoot " magazine starting from August 1969. In the very first edition there is an interview with Bobby Moore where he describes himself as a Charlton fan. he says it was a toss-up between us and West Ham but he preferred us as we were 1st Division when he was a boy and it was easy enough to get to the Valley because of the Woolwich ferry.

Well my grandad had a 1956 Bromley programme in his old suitcase, and only one name was ringed on the team sheet, a certain R.Moore.
    I've convinced myself it was the great man, despite a lack of evidence. It's just it was the only non Charlton, Spurs or Wednesday item in the suitcase (so why else would he keep just that programme), and Bobby joined West Ham that same year. It's just possible he may have played a game or two in midfield for Bromley as a young fella, before West Ham signed him up?

It's quite amusing that he was a Charlton fan, as one of his names was Chelsea. Robert Frederick Chelsea Moore
    I pity anyone with a football club as a middle name.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Mametz said:

Well my grandad had a 1956 Bromley programme in his old suitcase, and only one name was ringed on the team sheet, a certain R.Moore.
    I've convinced myself it was the great man, despite a lack of evidence. It's just it was the only non Charlton, Spurs or Wednesday item in the suitcase (so why else would he keep just that programme), and Bobby joined West Ham that same year. It's just possible he may have played a game or two in midfield for Bromley as a young fella, before West Ham signed him up?

It's quite amusing that he was a Charlton fan, as one of his names was Chelsea. Robert Frederick Chelsea Moore
    I expect that was where the Clintons got the idea from!

I don't know why but I had always had the idea that he had supported Spurs as a boy.
  • Small world. My boy goes to school in Wenvoe. Lovely place

My wife is a teacher and she will be doing supply teaching for the first few months. The agency she will be using have mentioned Wenvoe as one of the schools that they supply.
  • Mametz said:

Where are you moving to mate ?

We are moving in two weeks time. We have bought a house in Wenvoe but it won't be ready until the summer. Until then we are renting in place in Penarth.

The Wenvoe Arms was a lovely pub back in the seventies if it's still there.
  • LenGlover said:

Mametz said:

Yes it is still there and it is still a good pub. It has a public bar at the front serving a variety of real ales and a more food orientated bar at the back. The pub also serves as a base for a pétanque team which plays just behind the pub.
  • Speaking of pubs.....
  • Redrobo said:

Speaking of pubs.....

Quite,

Will go for a beer or two so you can wave me a tearful goodbye.
  • edited January 2018
    Mametz said:

LenGlover said:

Mametz said:

Yes it is still there and it is still a good pub. It has a public bar at the front serving a variety of real ales and a more food orientated bar at the back. The pub also serves as a base for a pétanque team which plays just behind the pub.
    Glad to hear it's still there. I had a few months working down in Barry and that was one of our haunts.

You'll probably know The Blue Anchor at Aberthaw and The Fox and Hounds in Llancarfan already if they are still going. There was also a nice one in Sully right on the coast but I can't think of the name annoyingly.

EDIT: It might have been called The Sully Inn but I'm not 100% on that by any means.
  • edited January 2018
    The one on the coast you are thinking about is probably The Captain's Wife. My wife's parents live in Sully. I have been to the Blue Anchor a couple of times about 30 years ago. Don't know Llancarfan at all.
  • There is a pub called the Sully Inn but that is not on the coast.
  • Mametz said:

The one on the coast you are thinking about is probably The Captain's Wife. My wife's parents live in Sully. I have been to the Blue Anchor a couple of times about 30 years ago. Don't know Llancarfan at all.

Llancarfan is a bit off the beaten track in the middle of nowhere but only a few miles from Barry.

The Fox and Hounds was good for food as well as having a decent choice of real ale.

We were in a B&B which did a cracking full English but we had to fend for ourselves otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Mametz said:

I guess it's possible, but I'd have tough they'd have mentioned it in this article if he had.

http://www.bromleyfc.tv/site/vanarama-national-promotion-final-chief-guest/

Does seem odd that it's the only name ringed though.
  • West Ham through and through surely, nothing to do with Charlton or Bromley. Like that Jermaine Defoe fella you was all raving about a while back.
  • JamesSeed said:

Mametz said:

Depending on the date in ‘56, he would have been 14 or 15. Unlikely to be him
  • It would be interesting to see that article. I've never heard that before.
  • Mametz said:

That's where I am!
  • I honestly didn't know that. Great piece of information.
  • Beardface said:

Mametz said:

That's where I am!
    Wenvoe or Penarth?
  • Need a photo this will wind up West Ham fans big time!

His middle name was Chelsea. :smiley:
  • The Museum is open this Friday (2/11) @Mametz and anyone else who wants to visit @Acab
  • Mametz said:

Welcome to Wales. I moved here 5 years ago from Blackheath.