Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football is now a farce

Comments

• It works in cricket and tennis because it either confirms or overturns a decision made in real time by the umpire after the ball is dead. ( in the case of tennis, it's the player who decides the play is dead). The game isn't stopped. A quick, factual decision is made, communicated quickly and the game moves on.

In rugby it works so lost as well. The ref stops the play, gives a decision and that's either confirmed or overturned.

In football, it cannot work as well. Artificial stops in play have to be introduced (e.g. in the example where a striker falls in the box, the keeper gathers the ball and sets up an attack: at what point (and how many minutes later?) does the "penalty" decision get reviewed? And what happens to decisions made in the interim?)

Cricket, tennis and rugby should persist with technology, as it actually improves the game. Football needs to change this flawed, slow entertainment-draining experiment, because it will suffer otherwise.
  • Anything to stop these guys swan diving all over the place is good. Very much enjoyed the 2 Chelsea guys being red carded in the game against Norwich. Whenever I watch games, players falling over for free kicks the whole time just drives me insane, and disrupts what used to be the flow of the game. And once you start noticing it, it's even more maddening.
  • edited January 2018
    Var is long overdue in football in my opinion, considering their is so much money in wages and transfer fees at the top level, long term it’s got to be a good thing.

They just need to sort out things like having the mic rigged up on the ref, and big screen replays so the crowd feels involved, and try and cut down the wait times for decisions to be made.
  • I hate VAR, football is an extremely subjective game and that’s part of the enjoyment, having a debate after the game as to whether it was a penalty/free kick/red card or not. It’s also going to cause chaos on offside decisions.

If the linesman raises his flag and all the defenders stop and the player scores, only for it to be pver turned by VAR how can that possibly be fair?

Maybe it’s just me but I love the unpredictability of the decisions..
  • Dont get the problem, watching kt on Match of the Day the ref made 2 decision, which were checked and decided the wrong decision was made.

Had liverpool scored the penalty it would have been 2-2 without VAR it would have been 3-1
  • I believe there should be an extra ref in the booth who makes the decisions for VAR and sends the answer to the ref on the field. Wasting 2-3 min for all of these is awful. If they did it this way, it would take no more time to get the answer than it takes those watching television to get the answer... about 15-30 seconds.

Also, one thing the NFL does right is that evidence to overturn a call on the field must be "conclusive." In other words, evidence must be strong enough to overturn the original decision, not just a preponderance of the evidence.
  • For me the problem is with subjective decisions. For me, Salah did get a wee pull but nowhere near enough to justify his dive. After VAR could they award a penalty (because there obviously was some, albeit minimal, contact) AND book Salah for diving?
  • Sponsored links:

• And the word of the day is...........'subjective' !
  • The other issue is unconscious bias. How often do you hear commentators make a judgement on a call and when replays show them to be wrong they still don't admit they are wrong - yes I mean you Messrs Birtles, Provan and Sutton (although that is conscious bias because they are all arseholes - FACT)
  • Addickted said:

Isnt a decision in any sport right or wrong?
    And surely the point of VAR (as it is in Cricket with DRS) is to try to get as many right decisions as possible?
    How we would have loved to have VAR when Lampards shot was over the line v Germany in the WC?

As long as they pulled the plug out for Geoff Hursts second goal in 1966....
    We would have still won.
    Would Germany have pushed up that much in the 120th minute at 2-2 rather than 2-3
    Plus "there are people on the pitch" it's mandatory for a referee to stop play when any encroachment on the pitch. Still 2-2 and a replay (no penalty shoot out in 66). Jimmy Greaves comes back for the replay and scores a hat trick in a 3-1 win. Sir Jimmy is knighted and plain Geoff Hurst works in insurance when he retires. Sliding doors history.
  • I disagree with Pardew that the time delay causes injuries

When a player gets injured and gets treatmeant, that can take a few minutes at times, there is no difference

You had me at "I disagree with Pardew."

• We're so on the same wavelength @oohaahmortimer. Powell, Pardew, VAR. You're my Charlton 'separated at birth' twin.
  • I hate VAR, football is an extremely subjective game and that’s part of the enjoyment, having a debate after the game as to whether it was a penalty/free kick/red card or not. It’s also going to cause chaos on offside decisions.

If the linesman raises his flag and all the defenders stop and the player scores, only for it to be pver turned by VAR how can that possibly be fair?

Without wanting to be personal, that's just weird. I don't want to be talking about referees and their decisions, in the same way I don't talk about the umpire after a tennis match, or the race officials after an Olympic track event.

If all you can talk about after a football match is the officials I'd suggest you're not really a fan of football. If VAR means I get to talk about the actual football rather than external elements that aren't supposed to effect the result, then it's not just beneficial, it's essential.

Without wanting to be personal, that's just weird. I don't want to be talking about referees and their decisions, in the same way I don't talk about the umpire after a tennis match, or the race officials after an Olympic track event.

If all you can talk about after a football match is the officials I'd suggest you're not really a fan of football. If VAR means I get to talk about the actual football rather than external elements that aren't supposed to effect the result, then it's not just beneficial, it's essential.
    Did you watch the match on TV tonight? They spent the whole of half time talking about VAR. Barely a mention of how come W Brom managed to be leading 3-1 when Liverpool were nine months unbeaten at Anfield. It overshadowed and dominated the whole thing.
  • edited January 2018

I hate VAR, football is an extremely subjective game and that’s part of the enjoyment, having a debate after the game as to whether it was a penalty/free kick/red card or not. It’s also going to cause chaos on offside decisions.

Home game against Walsall last weekend the ref was excellent. You didn't have people coming out of the ground saying "oh I'm so disappointed that there were no wrong decisions to get worked up about".

That argument is another nonsense IMO.

It will only get better and lead to more and more correct decisions over time - improving the enjoyment of the game for everyone. People just don't like change. Simples.
  • Chizz said:
    And he'd FU%%ING KNOW WOULDN'T HE!
    The biggest twat when it comes to pulling up people on urban myths and shitting from a great height on any generally accepted piece of music folklore. Two faced, sanctimonious, obsequious wanker.
    He keeps telling us he is emigrating to the USA. FFS GO!
  • Sponsored links:

Did you watch the match on TV tonight? They spent the whole of half time talking about VAR. Barely a mention of how come W Brom managed to be leading 3-1 when Liverpool were nine months unbeaten at Anfield. It overshadowed and dominated the whole thing.
    Because it's new. It's obviously going to be a talking point.

Give it a year or two and it will become second nature.
  • Football is an emotional imperfect specticle.
    Referee is just another player in it - fallible like all the others on the pitch, like the weather, like. .. the pitch...
    Our collective quest for a game with no variables is sad.
    If football is the 'beautiful game' VAR is ugly.
  • People that make the arguement that VAR would stop debates and arguements down the pub about football.

Football is a business to owners, and 1 wrong decision could cost an owner millions of pounds in some cases.

If VAR can correct wrong decisions(like yesterday, the ref made 2 calls and got them wrong, but VAR corrected him) then its great, if it stops arguements, then find sonething else to argue about.

I love football and hate when a match turns because of a dodgy decision.
  • Cricket is a game of pauses anyway. Between each delivery, between each over etc there are periods of literal dead time, and it's not like football where you can take a quick throw or freekick, you have to wait until the opposition is ready. The pauses for DRS are just increasing the length of existing pauses, ditto the hawkeye checks in tennis.

Throw ins, free kicks, corners, goal kicks, substitutions, injuries, restarts, half time. Football is full of natural beaks too.
  • People that make the arguement that VAR would stop debates and arguements down the pub about football.

Football is a business to owners, and 1 wrong decision could cost an owner millions of pounds in some cases.

Football is a great game, and that is why big business got involved. It was never (and in my opinion should never) have been the other way round. Football is being played where business is nowhere to be seen.
    Wrong decisions even themselves over time and become part of our collective memory.
    It is a game, not 'only a game', a very very crucial one, but a game...

• edited January 2018
    You'd think VAR made two terrible decisions which wrongly altered the outcome of the match.

As it was, the two decisions were spot on and meant an unjust 3-1 score line without VAR would've justly been 2-2 just a couple of minutes later, had Liverpool not missed their penalty.
  • 86 comments about VaR and 0 about what an enjoyable cup tie it was.

Says it all really.
  • 86 comments about VaR and 0 about what an enjoyable cup tie it was.

Says it all really.

86 comments about VaR and 0 about what an enjoyable cup tie it was.

Says it all really.

Because it’s a thread specificically about VAR.
  • Chizz said:
    Ah yes, Danny Baker!! That internationally famous philosopher. He right puts Plato in his place.