Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• I intend to do this for the first time. Last year was I recently out of hospital but fit and well now. Looking forward to it although need to get into a bit of training for 10 miles.
    This is one of things that makes me proud to be Charlton!
  • Is it always 10 miles? Thought it was usually 8 ??
  • Curb_It said:

Is it always 10 miles? Thought it was usually 8 ??

I thought it was in the middle at 9
  • suspect I'll do it again, it was great fun and it wore the dogs out too which was a bonus !!
  • Unfortunately it’s a weekend that I am away. I’ll gladly sponsor the first fellow Lifer £100 who is willing to do it in a silly animal costume.
  • Just signed up for that. :+1:
    Couldn’t do it last year, but should be no problems this time.
  • T_C_E said:
    One of the great things that makes this club as special as what it is !!!!
  • Unfortunately it’s a weekend that I am away. I’ll gladly sponsor the first fellow Lifer £100 who is willing to do it in a silly animal costume.

Don’t know about “silly” but My two mates will be dressed as Gèrman Shepherds and they quite convincing costumes and welcome sponsors ;)
    @Curb_It it’s normally 9 so I’m assuming the route has changed.
  • Last year was the first year that I had done it and although well organised I was disappointed on a couple of fronts.

1) My mate and I ended up being a way behind the others mainly because he was still recovering from cancer and being a hot day he was struggling from Greenwich Park onwards. I was surprised that there was no 'official' bringing up the rear so to speak and keeping an eye on any stragglers in case they got into any difficulty and needed assistance.

2) On arriving at The Valley I could not go up to the lounge because I, like others, had walked with my dogs. I was not expecting a brass band and streamers etc but I thought it would have been nice for someone from the organisers to have been down there to greet us.

Won't put me off doing it again but I was a tad disappointed in both of the above.
  • I did it last year and was in the middle of the groups, we got clapped in by a load of people, I guess the communication could be better about when the later groups will arrive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe the ‘fastest’ group should set off last.
  • That would be the one with Killer in it if he participates next year. He don’t stop for nothing.
  • Last year was the first year that I had done it and although well organised I was disappointed on a couple of fronts.

1) My mate and I ended up being a way behind the others mainly because he was still recovering from cancer and being a hot day he was struggling from Greenwich Park onwards. I was surprised that there was no 'official' bringing up the rear so to speak and keeping an eye on any stragglers in case they got into any difficulty and needed assistance.

2) On arriving at The Valley I could not go up to the lounge because I, like others, had walked with my dogs. I was not expecting a brass band and streamers etc but I thought it would have been nice for someone from the organisers to have been down there to greet us.

Won't put me off doing it again but I was a tad disappointed in both of the above.

This will be my 4th year turning around and walking away and will admit to feeling a little deflated. Having to leave my van at SL or my mates pub isn’t ideal and in the perfect world I’d love to see the Upbeats on the pitch, I had an offer last to drive my van nearer to the ground and the best yet was to contact the COO with a view to parking in the ground. Lol
  • edited January 2018
    This will be my 3rd year, providing my knee is ok. Last year went into crossbars and done my Ross Kemp, made my excuses and left before it kick off. Roland please fook off.
  • We will do it this year x3
  • T_C_E said:

Last year was the first year that I had done it and although well organised I was disappointed on a couple of fronts.

This will be my 4th year turning around and walking away and will admit to feeling a little deflated. Having to leave my van at SL or my mates pub isn’t ideal and in the perfect world I’d love to see the Upbeats on the pitch, I had an offer last to drive my van nearer to the ground and the best yet was to contact the COO with a view to parking in the ground. Lol
    to be honest the turning away at the end isn't the real issue, the lack of available assistance to those walking for the charity was of concern.

You were in front of me. I was also disappointed as thought there was to be someone looking after the "stragglers" like myself, but found not only was I soon left behind by my group, but also the third one also marched past leaving me totally alone and unsure of the route. I won't be doing it again, as nothing has changed, still can't walk fast as I did before surgery, and it's not nice on your own. At least your mate had you for company, which I'm sure he appreciated. Yes, it did turn out very warm! I only did about half the miles, but my sponsors were told I'd possibly only do a mile, so they supported me on that basis. Glad I tried it once, but not again, sorry.
  • edited January 2018
    Just signed up for that. :+1:
    Couldn’t do it last year, but should be no problems this time.
    And me.......

• edited January 2018
    Will be doing it again this year having done it last year for the first time.

Agreed with a couple of other posters, last year I was in the group that set off last but it kept splitting into 3 groups with the fast walkers at the front, and slow walkers at the back. It would be better IMO to give everybody the choice of going into a fast, normal or slow walkers group so they don't naturally split as they did.

That said I'm splitting hairs in what was otherwise a well organised good fun day and look forward to doing it again this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm sure they will take on board the comments that were made after last year's walk. There is one group leader who is excellent at keeping her whole pack together an everyone safe, I cant remember her name. The first year I did it she made her teams stop until the people at the back caught up. Very good team leader.

• I have made my concerns known to the organisers, I am sure they will take them on board.
  • I would have loved to do it this year but my hip won't be ready in time!

When the Just Giving page is set up could you post a link please?

COYU
  • Count me in. Nothing like a good walk to work up a thirst and it's great to get the cheers and jeers from Millwall posties and others who encounter the procession on it's way to the Valley.
  • Did anyone get the email yesterday from Jack, with the link that doesn't work?
  • T_C_E said:

Did anyone get the email yesterday from Jack, with the link that doesn't work?

No, but I did get an email from the Trust last year thanking me for participating even tho I didn't! Hoping to do this year's with one or two others.
  • T_C_E said:

Did anyone get the email yesterday from Jack, with the link that doesn't work?

no

• 3 year in a row for me
  • Highly recommend this. I had a great day last year, the weather was beautiful, and I met some lovely lifers and ex pro’s.