Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Happy Burns Night

edited January 2018 in Not Sports Related
To all fellow Scots (or like me to those who are proud to claim their heritage).

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm :
Weel are ye wordy o'a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o'need,
While thro' your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like ony ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin', rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an' strive:
Deil tak the hindmost! on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
Bethankit! hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad make her spew
Wi' perfect sconner,
Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckless as wither'd rash,
His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash;
His nieve a nit;
Thro' bloody flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread.
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll mak it whissle;
An' legs an' arms, an' heads will sned,
Like taps o' thrissle.

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o' fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer
Gie her a haggis!

Comments

• Went to a Burns Night meal at Chapter One Restaurant last night and that poem was on the back of the menu.
  • Is Kyle Edmund Scottish now?
  • Haggis made an appearance on our plates last night (wife Scottish), although I like it I'm still not overly sure what's in it, perhaps ignorance is the best policy, is there a specific tipple which should a company the meal.
  • Haggis made an appearance on our plates last night (wife Scottish), although I like it I'm still not overly sure what's in it, perhaps ignorance is the best policy, is there a specific tipple which should a company the meal.

lamb, beef, oats, onions and spices, was traditionally in a sheep's stomach but normally found in an artificial casing these days.

I love the stuff and eat it all year, highly recommend frying a couple of slices (like you would black pudding) and having it in rolls with bacon.
  • bobmunro said:

To all fellow Scots (or like me to those who are proud to claim their heritage).

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
    Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!
    Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
    Painch, tripe, or thairm :
    Weel are ye wordy o'a grace
    As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
    Your hurdies like a distant hill,
    Your pin wad help to mend a mill
    In time o'need,
    While thro' your pores the dews distil
    Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
    An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,
    Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
    Like ony ditch;
    And then, O what a glorious sight,
    Warm-reekin', rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an' strive:
    Deil tak the hindmost! on they drive,
    Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
    Are bent like drums;
    Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
    Bethankit! hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout
    Or olio that wad staw a sow,
    Or fricassee wad make her spew
    Wi' perfect sconner,
    Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view
    On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
    As feckless as wither'd rash,
    His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash;
    His nieve a nit;
    Thro' bloody flood or field to dash,
    O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
    The trembling earth resounds his tread.
    Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
    He'll mak it whissle;
    An' legs an' arms, an' heads will sned,
    Like taps o' thrissle.

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
    And dish them out their bill o' fare,
    Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
    That jaups in luggies;
    But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer
    Gie her a haggis!

Something about kilts??
  • I'll raise my can of Tennant's Super this evening for you Bob!
  • Sounds great in a roll dave, I'll email the smt with that idea for the valley, do they have much on?
  • LenGlover said:

Is Kyle Edmund Scottish now?

Nah South African
  • Sponsored links:

• I shall have a nip or two of Single Malt tonight just for you Bob

lamb, beef, oats, onions and spices, was traditionally in a sheep's stomach but normally found in an artificial casing these days.

I love the stuff and eat it all year, highly recommend frying a couple of slices (like you would black pudding) and having it in rolls with bacon.
    I had it once. Can't say that I liked it & I'd be happy never to eat it again.

I had it once. Can't say that I liked it & I'd be happy never to eat it again.
    Obviously never tried McMac'n'Cheese, you would be hooked
  • stonemuse said:

Went to a Burns Night meal at Chapter One Restaurant last night and that poem was on the back of the menu.

Our the other half live :wink:
  • The main 'meat' in haggis is lamb/sheep lungs.
  • That poem seems like he just made words up to rhyme with previous ones.
  • Cheers @bobmunro
    As a fully fledged sweaty in jockoland I’ll be going for a curry tonight, but might just have haggis pakora with it.
    Lang may yer lum reek!
  • Thanks @bobmunro.
    Haggis, neeps and tatties in Weegieland for us tonight.
  • Thanks @bobmunro.
    Haggis, neeps and tatties in Weegieland for us tonight.

I'm jealous.

Nothing like that for me, unfortunately, but I will be raising a wee dram to the Bard of Ayrshire tonight.
  • I thought the geezer flogging lighters outside of the Hamilton Halls lunchtime looked happy!

Happy Burns Night to all true Scots...
  • Sponsored links:

On Burns Night usually a wee dram accompanies the haggis.
  • I do find it funny the number of people who turn their nose up at haggis but will happily eat supermarket sausages/beef burgers/ready meals and get takeaways from kebab shops.
  • stonemuse said:

Went to a Burns Night meal at Chapter One Restaurant last night and that poem was on the back of the menu.

And and assortment of deep fried confectionary in batter, on the front?
  • had a couple of haggis scotch eggs from our farmers market other week --very nice
  • stonemuse said:

And and assortment of deep fried confectionary in batter, on the front?
    Leaving the humour aside, I have to admit that the food was bloody good.
  • Mrs had made haggis stuffed chicken for dinner tonight, beautiful!

I'm sending my parents to Boisdales canary wharf tomorrow night for a treat
  • Ditto here in Largs. I’ve peeled the potatoes and turnip, no waiting for the return of the kitchen staff (she does a voluntary shift in the food bank here). Then a wander to the pub to discuss yesterday’s rather fine game up here.
    All the best to you guys.

All the best to you mate.
    Stay in touch.

Only ever eaten in once (in Edinburgh) and really enjoyed it.

Only ever eaten in once (in Edinburgh) and really enjoyed it.
    These are really good if you don't want to cook too much (and perfect to go in a roll with bacon)

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/macsween-haggis-microwave-in-1-minute/405729-57093-57094