Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Australian Open 2018

Comments

• Options

First Candidate fot SPOTY 2018 maybe even winner.. Should be no where near the Semis!! - Brilliant from Edmund!!

Edmund currently 25/1 with bet365
    So many people above him including a injured tennis player and a retired darts player

Anthony Joshua 9/2
    Rob Cross 14/1
    Andy Murray 14/1
    Harry Kane 14/1
    Johanna Konta 14/1
    Lewis Hamilton 16/1
    Phil Taylor 16/1
    Ronnie O'Sullivan 20/1
    Mo Farrah 25/1
    Jonathan Rea 25/1
    Rory Mcllory 25/1
    Dele Ali 25/1
    Kyle Edmund 25/1
    Not a bad bet but, as we found last year, it has to be someone who does have exposure on mainstream TV. This is also January and December is a long way away. Now if Edmund was to win Wimbledon that would be a different matter but he is as big as 250/1 to do that.
    What price would Edmund be for Wimbledon if he actually won the Australian?

Men's tennis is going through a transitional period with all of the big four either suffering from a loss of form and/or injury so why should he be 250/1 or even 100/1? He ishalf those odds to get to the final.
    Federer not in your big 4 then? Been injury free for a while and won two Slams last season.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Its strange that all the top tennis players are nice guys, gone are the days of McEnroe and Nastase and Vitas Gerulaitis.

dont remember Vitas Gerulaitis being such a bad lad ..
    Connors was a bad lad when he was young.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

First Candidate fot SPOTY 2018 maybe even winner.. Should be no where near the Semis!! - Brilliant from Edmund!!

Edmund currently 25/1 with bet365
    So many people above him including a injured tennis player and a retired darts player

Anthony Joshua 9/2
    Rob Cross 14/1
    Andy Murray 14/1
    Harry Kane 14/1
    Johanna Konta 14/1
    Lewis Hamilton 16/1
    Phil Taylor 16/1
    Ronnie O'Sullivan 20/1
    Mo Farrah 25/1
    Jonathan Rea 25/1
    Rory Mcllory 25/1
    Dele Ali 25/1
    Kyle Edmund 25/1
    Not a bad bet but, as we found last year, it has to be someone who does have exposure on mainstream TV. This is also January and December is a long way away. Now if Edmund was to win Wimbledon that would be a different matter but he is as big as 250/1 to do that.
    What price would Edmund be for Wimbledon if he actually won the Australian?

Men's tennis is going through a transitional period with all of the big four either suffering from a loss of form and/or injury so why should he be 250/1 or even 100/1? He ishalf those odds to get to the final.
    Federer not in your big 4 then? Been injury free for a while and won two Slams last season.
    Yeh but you and I know once you get to 36 injuries become more and more likely.
  • Options
    I can't remember 36!
  • Options

I can't stand Federer. So smarmy.

Ducking...

Yeh. I'm not a fan of his media friendly personal either. His wife looks like she knows the truth.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I can't remember 36!

I just turned 36! Sounds like I should treat every day from here on in as blessing - I'm just one bad fall from being shot and covered with a blanket.
  • Options
    What on earth is there to dislike about Roger Federer? Some people really are odd.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

What on earth is there to dislike about Roger Federer? Some people really are odd.

Maybe its because he keeps winning ?
    We're Charlton fans you know , something you know nothing about.
  • Options

I can't stand Federer. So smarmy.

Ducking...

Yeh. I'm not a fan of his media friendly personal either. His wife looks like she knows the truth.
    His wife looks like she would beat him if he ever stepped out of line. I wouldn't want to cross Mirka Federer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

I'm not a big fan of his actually. Can't argue with his quality though. Obviously the best player I have ever seen aged 27 but surely the greatest player of all time. Got a lot more time for Djokovic though.
  • Options

Very impressive from Edmund, especially when you factor in the 40°C heat they've been playing in and that, while he's not the full Kevin De Bruyne, he's a good @LouisMend on the ginger scale.

Yes, just watched the highlights, he has a monster forehand.An interesting article on the improvement he's made in the last few months

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2018/01/22/kyle-edmund-went-choker-australian-open-contender2/
  • Options

Very impressive from Edmund, especially when you factor in the 40°C heat they've been playing in and that, while he's not the full Kevin De Bruyne, he's a good @LouisMend on the ginger scale.

Perfect level of ginger that
  • Options
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    If no-one else's ranking points change (obviously not the case but gives a good estimate) then Kyle Edmund would become the 27th ranked player in the world if he goes out to Cilic in the semi final.

If he can beat Cilic, he'd become 19th ranked and if he wins the whole tournament then he'd make the world's top 10.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

lolwray said:

Its strange that all the top tennis players are nice guys, gone are the days of McEnroe and Nastase and Vitas Gerulaitis.

So was Borg.
  • Options

If no-one else's ranking points change (obviously not the case but gives a good estimate) then Kyle Edmund would become the 27th ranked player in the world if he goes out to Cilic in the semi final.

If he can beat Cilic, he'd become 19th ranked and if he wins the whole tournament then he'd make the world's top 10.

Apparently if he beats Cilic, he'll go above Murray...
  • Options

Would make sense as Murray is currently ranked 19th.
  • Options

Yes I've read that and it puzzles me.

Murray reached semi final or better of nearly every Grand Slam tournament for a good 5 years plus prior to his injury and won his share of other ATP events too. Edmund in comparison is still establishing himself although he has obviously performed excellently in this Grand Slam whatever happens against Cilic.

I can only assume that players like Murray and Djokovic are actually DEDUCTED points if they fail to play in tournaments because I've no idea how Edmund could have done enough to be within touching distance of Murray otherwise.

Anybody know for sure?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    LenGlover said:

Murray reached semi final or better of nearly every Grand Slam tournament for a good 5 years plus prior to his injury and won his share of other ATP events too. Edmund in comparison is still establishing himself although he has obviously performed excellently in this Grand Slam whatever happens against Cilic.

I can only assume that players like Murray and Djokovic are actually DEDUCTED points if they fail to play in tournaments because I've no idea how Edmund could have done enough to be within touching distance of Murray otherwise.

Anybody know for sure?
    Ranking points are accrued over a rolling 12 month period i.e. last year's Australian Open points will be lost and replaced with those earned at this year's tournament. It's a very meritocratic system that rewards recent form over historical success.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018

LenGlover said:

Anybody know for sure?
    Ranking points are accrued over a rolling 12 month period i.e. last year's Australian Open points will be lost and replaced with those earned at this year's tournament. It's a very meritocratic system that rewards recent form over historical success.
    A big fat THIS.

As an example: the winner of the Australian Open gets 2000 ranking points, the runner up gets 1200, losing semi finalists get 780(?) etc until the players losing in the first round get 20-50 or so. Don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head but you can look them up if you want.

If you won last year's Australian Open but don't compete to defend your title for whatever reason, you would lose all 2000 ranking points.

In Murray's case, he's lost almost half a dozen thousand points because of missing the second half of 2017. Down from 7,750 points and world #1 just after Wimbledon to world #19 and 2,140 points now.

If he continues to miss every single tournament up to and including Wimbledon, he'll be left with zero ranking points and have to start from scratch.

As Murray has been injured for over six months now, he will be able to use protected rankings to enter main draws of Grand Slams and other high level events on his return from injury.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Federer just too good here. Looking like another straight sets win and into his 43rd grand slam semi final
  • Options
    Anyone seen the Sandgren drama? He seemed a really entertaining player worth keeping an eye on but not anymore, hope the guy fades back into mediocrity.
  • Options

Anyone seen the Sandgren drama? He seemed a really entertaining player worth keeping an eye on but not anymore, hope the guy fades back into mediocrity.

???
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

???
    He's been outed as a nasty and bigoted alt-right conspiracy theorist nutjob.

Some of the stuff he's tweeted is horrifying. It's all since been deleted and in his post match press conference he said the media were demonising him for bringing it up. Poor bloke having to face some consequences...
  • Options

Riviera said:

lolwray said:

So was Borg.
    Rubbish......that’s absolute pants!
  • Options

Riviera said:

lolwray said:

So was Borg.
    No, Borg was an absolute horror as a junior player. He grew up and became the Ice King when he hit the top.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

???
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

lolwray said:

So was Borg.
    No, Borg was an absolute horror as a junior player. He grew up and became the Ice King when he hit the top.
    Federer was a serial racket abuser and tantrum thrower when he was a junior. Some learn to channel that anger into playing better whereas the likes of Kyrgios never do and as a result end up losers.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

lolwray said:

So was Borg.
    Federer was a serial racket abuser and tantrum thrower when he was a junior. Some learn to channel that anger into playing better whereas the likes of Kyrgios never do and as a result end up losers.
    Kyrgios seemed happier and more focused at this tournament, he might be growing up at last. Sadly the same can't be said about Tomic