Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nick Pope, the Premier League's outstanding keeper this season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41822455

Nick Pope has got the best goalkeeper stats in the Premier League this season according to Opta. He is saving more shots than any other keeper. He has only conceded five goals in eight matches with four clean sheets in the last six games. I've only seen him on Match of the Day but perhaps he should deserve an England call up.

Comments

• Never really had a doubt.
  • OMG, looking at the replay, it is a stunning save by Nick Pope, tipping the ball onto the woodwork with his nose.
  • Save of the season has been sewn up today by Lossl of Huddersfield, mind you. Nobody's beating that
  • Will be shocked if Pope isn't called up for the next round of Friendlies.

At the same time will be shocked if he is!!
  • edited January 2018
    16/1 to make World cup squad
    Pickford 1/4
    Butland 1/3
    Hart 8/11
    Forster 8/1
    Heaton 8/1
    Pope 16/1
  • 16/1 to make Wod cup squad
    Pickford 1/4
    Butland 1/3
    Hart 8/11
    Forster 8/1
    Heaton 8/1
    Pope 16/1

See... Its crazy that he's behind Tom Heaton in the odds!!

Bookies get it right more often than not yet seriously, how can Pope be behind a bloke (who is a damned good 'keeper) for the England squad yet has barely played this season?

I'd also put Forster behind both Pope and (a fit) Heaton!!
  • On form surely he should be in the squad at least (which is not something I ever thought I would say).
  • Sponsored links:

• Heaton is back in light training. As Club captain I'd be surprised if he doesn't eventually reclaim his place
  • With neither Forster or Hart playing at the moment, it could be between Heaton and Pope...
  • Heaton is back in light training. As Club captain I'd be surprised if he doesn't eventually reclaim his place

Question is... Will Burnley keep them both over the Summer - Just hope Nick Pope doesn't end up at a newly promoted team like Cardiff or Derby and so risk playing in the Championship again in a few years time!!

Question is... Will Burnley keep them both over the Summer - Just hope Nick Pope doesn't end up at a newly promoted team like Cardiff or Derby and so risk playing in the Championship again in a few years time!!
    I could see a semi decent side signing Heaton, maybe Spurs, meaning Nick and Heaton would be in direct competition at National level. I do rate Pope more than Heaton though.
  • edited January 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

Heaton is back in light training. As Club captain I'd be surprised if he doesn't eventually reclaim his place

I could see a semi decent side signing Heaton, maybe Spurs, meaning Nick and Heaton would be in direct competition at National level. I do rate Pope more than Heaton though.
    If Heaton were to sign for Spurs then you'd surely expect to see Vorm leave with the former becoming the No.2 to Hugo Lloris - Be difficult for him to challenge Pope at National level if he's warming the bench.

The main threat at the moment is Angus Gunn - He's only on loan @ Norwich from Man City, whilst I doubt him ever becoming No.1 at the Etihad I do see him as a Premier League 'keeper and with his U21 experience under Southgate, I still see him being picked ahead of Nick Pope as we do seem to be going for youth.
  • see I always said Pope was good. Perhaps Heaton will go to L'pool as they do need a good 'keeper.
  • With neither Forster or Hart playing at the moment, it could be between Heaton and Pope...

Don't be silly. Hart will be in goal for all the friendlies and the World Cup. He's untouchable.
  • Ross said:

With neither Forster or Hart playing at the moment, it could be between Heaton and Pope...

Don't be silly. Hart will be in goal for all the friendlies and the World Cup. He's untouchable.
    You would think so, but if Hart is kept out for several more games by Adrian, then how can he be picked ahead of other keepers who are playing regularly?
  • Ross said:

With neither Forster or Hart playing at the moment, it could be between Heaton and Pope...

You would think so, but if Hart is kept out for several more games by Adrian, then how can he be picked ahead of other keepers who are playing regularly?
    Because England.
  • The number of ex keepers we have in The Prem is a sad testament to our judgement in that respect.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018

The number of ex keepers we have in The Prem is a sad testament to our judgement in that respect.

Not really, none of them were released voluntarily on the clubs part - they all wanted to leave for better opportunities in higher divisions than the one we were playing in at the time.
  • The number of ex keepers we have in The Prem is a sad testament to our judgement in that respect.

Not really, none of them were released voluntarily on the clubs part - they all wanted to leave for better opportunities in higher divisions than the one we were playing in at the time.
    Elliot, Pope and Hamer were all slated on here as was Randolph who has also played in the Premiership.
  • LenGlover said:

The number of ex keepers we have in The Prem is a sad testament to our judgement in that respect.

Elliot, Pope and Hamer were all slated on here as was Randolph who has also played in the Premiership.
    Exactly what I was driving at.
  • LenGlover said:

and that affected their decision to leave for better opportunities how exactly?
  • Liverpool or Arsenal might come for him.
  • LenGlover said:

Every player that has ever played for Charlton since Charlton Life was first founded has been slated on here at some point.
    Yann Kermorgant
  • LenGlover said:

Because Pope made endless mistakes , usually missing shots going straight at him. I'm delighted he is doing well nonetheless
  • LenGlover said:

Every player that has ever played for Charlton since Charlton Life was first founded has been slated on here at some point.
    Yann Kermorgant
    He was when we signed him - before anyone had actually seen him play.

Butland?