Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watford sack Silva

Blaming Everton's approach earlier this season. Maybe their form also has something to do with it as well.

Comments

• Excellent start to the season, top 7 looked realistic.
    Their downturn in form coincides exactly with Everton making an approach for him.
    Maybe the players could tell his heart wasn't in it.

Nailed on to be at Everton in the summer imo.
  • Great manager, terrible decision.

Then again, just looked at the table, didn’t realise there was only 3 points between 10th and 17th. That’s incredibly tight, don’t remember being like that ever?
  • On the face of it, he probably deserved a bit more time to turn things round given how well they started. But he's apparently lost the dressing room and there were doubts over whether he even wanted to remain there next season. Also during their dreadful run they've been beaten away at Palace and Brighton and lost at home to both Huddersfield and Swansea. There's a very real chance they could go down.
  • Well he didn't really want to be here and had a few pops at the board - mind you the Pozzos probably look a bit silly not taking the money when Everton came now.

Suspect there is more to this than a few iffy results.

New manager will start well but have a dip in form and be sacked in a year!
  • Thought Watford looked really impressive in first half of season.
  • Well he didn't really want to be here and had a few pops at the board - mind you the Pozzos probably look a bit silly not taking the money when Everton came now.

Suspect there is more to this than a few iffy results.

New manager will start well but have a dip in form and be sacked in a year!

A weird season for Watford, over achieving for 3 months then badly under achieving. If your results had been more level I guess Silva would just be plodding along
  • edited January 2018
    Yes - ws have won 1 in 11 and lost against most of the sides below in this run.

It's not like we' be been beaten by the top clubs apart from Man C which is the worry.

Any other season and we'd be in the bottom 3-5 by now.

The Pozzos have been great off the pitch but we need some settled and fit players who respect the manager .
  • Am I the only one who doesn’t rate Marco Silva!?
  • iamdan said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t rate Marco Silva!?

Why don't you rate him?

Done pretty well so far and he's only 40.
  • Sponsored links:

• iamdan said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t rate Marco Silva!?

Why don't you rate him?

Done pretty well so far and he's only 40.
    Sacked by Hull, now by Watford? Obviously both different circumstances.
  • Silva might be one dimentional in his play and been sussed out.
  • Took hull down
    Watford are in free fall.

Not as good a manager as he is made out to be.
  • Ridiculous decision, bloody foreign ownership
  • This hire and fire every season or so will catch up with them soon. At least Ambramovich seems to give his managers at least 2 seasons

If they get relegated which is a very real possibility given how tight everything is, have a prolonged stay in the championship, the owners lose interest, I could see them having a similar situation to us in a few years.

It’s very possible. Clubs need stability. How committed will the Pozos be if they fall out the prem paying premier league wages. Seeing it at Hull now

Another example of the asshole being ripped out the game imo

Not saying Silva was any good, just another pathetic example of why the game is in a bad place (imo)
  • cabbles said:

It’s very possible. Clubs need stability. How committed will the Pozos be if they fall out the prem paying premier league wages. Seeing it at Hull now

Not saying Silva was any good, just another pathetic example of why the game is in a bad place (imo)

Fair point and some have pointed out loyalty can be a two way thing!

The Pozzos are football people who have done a lot of good for the club off the pitch with a much improved ground etc so I don't think they just run out of town if we did go down but I guess they would expect an instant return on their investment - it took us 3 seasons to get promotion in the first place.

Its a strange one because of course having loads of changes in terms of players and managers isn't great but the fans have been very supportive and just got on with it.

Mind you they did take over from a guy who had been bankrupt twice and had us on the verge of administration so quite frankly anyone else was an improvement!!!

It probably hasn't helped our recent run includes defeats against sides below us probably adding fear and suspicion of a lack of unity.
  • MrOneLung said:

Took hull down
    Watford are in free fall.

Not as good a manager as he is made out to be.

Let’s not pretend hull weren’t completely down and out when he took over. Gave them a fighting chance and they almost stayed up.
    Really?

3 points off of 17th when took over start of Jan.
    6 points off of 17th when relegated with game to spare.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    Their own fans seems mostly happy with this decision. They say that ever since he did not get the job at Everton he has been unfocused and pouting.

I have to give their fans (and owners) credit. The owners have a certain way of running their club and they make it work. They sack managers all the time, often more than one per year, and their fans buy into the program and they trust the owners, because it seems to work well and the owners have invested over £40M into the club.

Pretty much the opposite of what happens here and elsewhere.
  • Seems like its been done behind his back

New manager already appointed Javi Gracia
  • edited January 2018
    Here is how long each manager lasted under Pozzo, since taking over Watford to start the 2012-13 season.

Sean Dyche: 1 month
    Gianfranco Zola: 17 months
    Giuseppe Sannino: 9 months
    Slaviša Jokanović: 8 months
    Quique Sánchez Flores: 12 months
    Walter Mazzarri: 12 months
    Marco Silva: 8 months
  • Here is how long each manager lasted under Pozzo, since taking over Watford to start the 2012-13 season.

Done alright though haven't they weirdly. All decent managers except for Zola.
  • Here is how long each manager lasted under Pozzo, since taking over Watford to start the 2012-13 season.

Sannino a decent manager??
  • edited January 2018
    Well Zola got us to the play-off final so was ok too (never turned yup against Palace..) but we had a poor start to the next season so he quit in mid December 2013.

Sannino was a strange one - again a solid job but due to a lack of communication issues also quit at the start of the 2014/15

Remember we had Oscar Garcia for one game too - a 1/0 defeat to some South London lot who play in red and white..;)

He fell ill and was replaced by Billy McKinaly who is at West Ham now - we actually got 4 points from 6 home games but he was soon dumped for Jokanavic who got us promotion but for whatever reason a contract could not be agreed which was a shame.

Flores started well with Ighalo/Deeney on fire and a solid defensive base but after Christmas form dipped despite the FA Cup run - maybe to be expected for a newly promoted side. Again there seemed to be issues between him and the Pozzos so the break clause in the 2 year contract was revoked.

Last season followed the same sort of pattern expect we never really heard what Walter Mazzarri: had to say as he spoke very little English and generally his football was quite negative (maybe typically Italian!)

Silva again looked very promising until Everton came calling and he didn't exactly rule out going (maybe saw what was coming!?) and since then our form has dipped due to injuries and generally not being very good particularly in defence.

Personally think we need more than just a change of manager as our injury record is awful and some players just haven't performed but then you cannot sack them I guess.

Be nice to remember to turn up after Christmas too - trouble is this season we will go down if we don't!

• @Super_horns

What do you make on Javi Gracia
    You happy with him or would you have preferred someone with prem experience.

Also whats your opinion on hom being appointed already, do you think this was done behind Silvas back
  • Well it does seem according to the Times they had some doubts on Silva for a week or two so probably were looking around.

Think a few clubs do that now tbh although in some cases hasn't always worked like Stoke in recent weeks.

As for the new guy - well I guess his job is done if he keeps us up.

I doubt we'd ever go for a British manager and somebody like Koeman would be out of our league.

Exactly. Watford or rather their ownership are doing things their way and largely it's worked very well. Because it's not what English fans are used to or they say they think things should be done they get criticised.

I don't have a problem with them sacking Silva. I doubt they would have had he won a lot of games since the Everton stuff but it's been a combination of him acting a bit of a pray and relegation form.
  • cabbles said:

Fair point and some have pointed out loyalty can be a two way thing!

The Pozzos are football people who have done a lot of good for the club off the pitch with a much improved ground etc so I don't think they just run out of town if we did go down but I guess they would expect an instant return on their investment - it took us 3 seasons to get promotion in the first place.

Its a strange one because of course having loads of changes in terms of players and managers isn't great but the fans have been very supportive and just got on with it.

Mind you they did take over from a guy who had been bankrupt twice and had us on the verge of administration so quite frankly anyone else was an improvement!!!

It probably hasn't helped our recent run includes defeats against sides below us probably adding fear and suspicion of a lack of unity.
    Fair enough mate and you will know a lot more than I do, just seems like a very cavalier approach to me and probably writing through our own experience to some extent. If you say they are football people then I would go with your comments over mine. I mean they’ve been successful so far, so you can’t really argue with it.

I just wonder what happens if you drop out. Will they stick around or will they lose interest