Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bundesliga

Baldybonce Jnr informs me that German football is the new thing at school.
Supporting Man U, Chelsea etc is not the done thing but a German team is.
Sooo, i know some from here go abroad for games and Marc and the German Addicks will be able to help.

What are the logistics of getting there for a big game?

Comments

• The one time I went, it was to see FC Köln who play in red and white so that was OK. Littbarski was the star player, the rest were so-so. It was difficult to feel much for the game, though, because it wasn't the Addicks.
  • se9addick said:

Are you asking how to get to Germany?

Hamburg is a great base for groundhopping (plus it's a cool city) we managed to go and see St Pauli, Wolfsburg and Hamburg in a single weekend. Germany is an amazing country and probably the best place in the world to watch football.

Getting to Germany is the easy bit!
    Which club? getting around? tickets?
    I'll look into Hamburg.Cheers.
  • edited January 2018
    Dusseldorf is considered the best base over there. It has the most top 2 tier teams within an hour - Fortuna, Duisberg, Gladbach, Koln, Dortmund, Schalke, Leverkusen, Bochum. 3 in a weekend is easy.

Unless you want to see a derby tickets are obtainable. Most clubs sell online a few weeks in advance. To do the standing 'thing' second division is your best bet as it's usually STs only at big sides.

Watching football over there is very good but the atmospheres and songs are all similar. I'm back there soon for 3 games around Frankfurt.
  • Been the last couple of years to Hamburg and Berlin, nice cities, convenient flights and decent hotels.

Both grounds easy to get to on cheap public transport, give it a go.
  • I used to work in Frankfurt and went to see Eintracht Frankfurt many times.

Also lots of league grounds within easy reach of Frankfurt.
  • se9addick said:

Hamburg is a great base for groundhopping (plus it's a cool city) we managed to go and see St Pauli, Wolfsburg and Hamburg in a single weekend. Germany is an amazing country and probably the best place in the world to watch football.

Getting tickets for HSV games is easy too. I've just bought 7 for their game v Hertha Berlin in March.
  • I saw Hamburg on a stag do a couple of months ago. It was interesting walking up to the ground and it seemed like almost everyone had a bottle or can of beer in their hands, not something you would see on the walk down to the valley.

We also ended up in the family stand somehow, but could still buy a pint and take it in, and you got a free biscuit on your seat as well. Result.

Atmosphere was pretty good as well, especially every time Hamburg scored.
  • se9addick said:

If you decide to travel around for a week or so then the train is easily your best bet, and DB do a Pass which gives you unlimited travel and usually works out a great bargain. It's all on www.bahn.de with pages in English.

• Baldy, there is an Addicks contingent going to see Marc and the German Addicks next month and taking in Borussia Moenchengladbach v Dortmund if you are interested?
  • Sponsored links:

• I used to watch Werder Bremen most weeks when was posted out there in Verdun, its come a long way since the 80's, a few of us are going to Dortmund v Shalke weekend 9 Feb. Tickets are a rip-off through stub-hub etc and watch out for the game switching to a sunday at short notice if your flying back.

Good weekend though and well worth the experience.
  • Baldy, there is an Addicks contingent going to see Marc and the German Addicks next month and taking in Borussia Moenchengladbach v Dortmund if you are interested?

Thanks for the offer but I've got to work round school holidays, when his mate can go and when i'm off work.
  • SE7toSG3 said:

I used to watch Werder Bremen most weeks when was posted out there in Verdun, its come a long way since the 80's, a few of us are going to Dortmund v Shalke weekend 9 Feb. Tickets are a rip-off through stub-hub etc and watch out for the game switching to a sunday at short notice if your flying back.

Good weekend though and well worth the experience.

Match days are all set in stone up to the next international date in mid-March but for the rest of the season, they could be switched to the Friday night or the Sunday to satisfy TV, so you need to plan your flights to take this into account. Non-League scene is also pretty good out there, so it’s easy to do three or more matches in a long weekend if that’s what you want to do.
  • Go and watch Napoli.
  • It should be possible to get tickets for most Bundesliga games. At first you should try to buy them with the link Tickest on the club websites. A minor problem is the exact schedule of the games. The games from the end of march aren't fixed yet.
    @Baldybonce What do you call a big game? Just from names like Hamburg, Munich, Cologne or a game between teams up the table?
    If you need some advice or assistance in getting tickets, hotel or even which team to choose, you can contact @GermanAddick or me.
  • MadGerman said:

It should be possible to get tickets for most Bundesliga games. At first you should try to buy them with the link Tickest on the club websites. A minor problem is the exact schedule of the games. The games from the end of march aren't fixed yet.
    @Baldybonce What do you call a big game? Just from names like Hamburg, Munich, Cologne or a game between teams up the table?
    If you need some advice or assistance in getting tickets, hotel or even which team to choose, you can contact @GermanAddick or me.

Thanks. As soon as the boys decide who they want to see i'll be in touch.
  • always had a soft spot for dortmund since the champs league final there fans took over trafalgar sqaure and was a right laugh.

have been over for a game also and its a definate experience the german football concept is so much better, drink and smoke in the stands, no trouble with persistant standing.
  • My youngest son lives and works in Munich, he went to the game Sunday (Werder Bremen) with tickets he bought off an exchange website, not easy to get to see Bayern.
  • Cologne.....you can see them the mighty Bayer Leverkusen and Fortuna Dusseldorf. All within close proximity to each other.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

My youngest son lives and works in Munich, he went to the game Sunday (Werder Bremen) with tickets he bought off an exchange website, not easy to get to see Bayern.

Fantastic stadium isn't it.
  • Hertha Berlin have a great stadium. Unfortunately I didn't get to see a game, but did the tour. Has a lot of history there, having hosted the 1948 Olympic Games.

Has an old, classic feel to it whilst still being very modern inside. Basically everything the new Wembley should have been when they redeveloped it
  • edited January 2018
    That the one with the gap at one end? If so I watched Germany v England their in 2008 but it was a bit to far from the pitch for my liking, much like old Wembley.
  • Leverkusen is a great little ground
    Koln is a bit more old school
  • That the one with the gap at one end? If so I watched Germany v England their in 2008 but it was a bit to far from the pitch for my liking, much like old Wembley.

Was that the one we won 2-1 with Mancienne playing in November time?

If so was at that game myself, bloody freezing ground it was in Berlin, had gaps in the walls at the back of the stands allowing the wind to come through... Dont think I've ever been so cold at a football match before
  • cafctom said:

Hertha Berlin have a great stadium. Unfortunately I didn't get to see a game, but did the tour. Has a lot of history there, having hosted the 1948 Olympic Games.

Has an old, classic feel to it whilst still being very modern inside. Basically everything the new Wembley should have been when they redeveloped it

Think you’ll find it was the 1936 Olympics. The ones that Hitler opened.
  • Tom_Hovi said:

cafctom said:

Hertha Berlin have a great stadium. Unfortunately I didn't get to see a game, but did the tour. Has a lot of history there, having hosted the 1948 Olympic Games.

Think you’ll find it was the 1936 Olympics. The ones that Hitler opened.
    Hosting the Olympics in 1948 Berlin would have been a challenge !
  • It can be difficult to get tickets for certain teams (Dortmund, Schalke, Munich). If managed ro get rickets to those teams using Viagogo, but their prices can be outrageous. i have paid 110€ for tickets witha face-value of 26€!
    Try applying on the websites of the teams directly.
    Ifmusing Viagogo or one of the other ticketing sites be careful of their surcharges and fees.
  • cafctom said:

So LONDON is the New Berlin.
  • Hamburg who before today were the only side in 55 years of Bundesliga history to never be relegated, have today finally been relegated.

Wolfsburg could still drop with them but have a 2 legged play off to come next week.