Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Supermarket Gems

Not sure if there is thread on this type of thing already, but...

Just heated up some Sainsbury's taste the difference triple cooked oven chips from their freezer section and they were fantastic. Bit pricey compared to McCains et al, but very very tasty.

Anyone got any other supermarket gems they can recommend? (We are trying to save the pennies and eat out less etc.)

Comments

• Is it restricted to Sainsbury’s or can any supermarket join in?
  • Macronate said:

Is it restricted to Sainsbury’s or can any supermarket join in?

Any yer like.
  • edited January 2018
    Wanted to try the Sainsbury's taste the difference parsnip and pecorino mash, but it was would have been on loan from a Sainsbury's in Crystal Palace and that just didn't sit right with me.
  • Fiiish said:

The Korean supermarket in Peckham does brilliant meatballs. They really are the dog's bollocks.

Ha ha, that was a whoosh, until I saw people had lol'd it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lidl's deluxe gorgonzola is delicious
  • Not sure if there is thread on this type of thing already, but...

Just heated up some Sainsbury's taste the difference triple cooked oven chips from their freezer section and they were fantastic. Bit pricey compared to McCains et al, but very very tasty.

Anyone got any other supermarket gems they can recommend? (We are trying to save the pennies and eat out less etc.)

Try the same ones from Marks frozen section, very nice.
  • Morrisons ribs of fire
  • edited January 2018

Morrisons ribs of fire

I used to live in Thamesmead, pretty much went to morrisons every other day for these,

None of this fake hot rubbish, eating 20 ribs of fire burns your mouth lol
  • Lidl's hummus is really good value when compared to Sainsbury's and Tesco's...
  • Morrisons ribs of fire

I used to live in Thamesmead, pretty much went to morrisons every other day for these,

I love them, but the aftermath on occasion can be devastating
  • Morrisons ribs of fire

I love them, but the aftermath on occasion can be devastating
    My toilet knows all about that lol
  • edited January 2018

Good value at £6

Worth it for the 19 lols
    Keep em coming lads and lasses
    I am newly single and living in a hostel and have no money these lols are keeping me going
  • Lidl's hummus is really good value when compared to Sainsbury's and Tesco's...

Probably better too in my opinion, usually they put too much lemon in.
  • What a thread!!! This is what the internet was made for.

Been suffering the last week and during that time I’ve been through near enough the whole range of Morrison’s own brand soups. At 45p a tin, everyone of them had been decently comparable with Heinz.

And ya can have that supermarket nugget for nowt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sainsbury's 4 pack hot cross buns . Plump & juicy - just how I like them.
  • What a thread!!! This is what the internet was made for.

Been suffering the last week and during that time I’ve been through near enough the whole range of Morrison’s own brand soups. At 45p a tin, everyone of them had been decently comparable with Heinz.

And ya can have that supermarket nugget for nowt.

Laid up myself, and couldn't even get to the usual Morrison's so tried the local co-op own brand soup options this past 2 weeks. At 55p each will be back for more.
  • Generally speaking I find it hard to tell the difference between supermarket own brands and most of their brand name equivalents. Certainly you soon get used to any slight variation in taste and the money you save.
  • Generally speaking I find it hard to tell the difference between supermarket own brands and most of their brand name equivalents. Certainly you soon get used to any slight variation in taste and the money you save.

I always read the ingredients labels on Medicines & painkillers etc, the majority own brand have the same as the big label, saves a lot of money.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/12/revealed-the-identical-cold-and-flu-medicines-which-cost-a-third-of-the-price
  • I’d like to recommend B.O.B milk, which is now available in most major supermarkets.......orange top.
    Skimmed milk that really ‘does’ taste like full creamed milk.
  • DA9 said:

Generally speaking I find it hard to tell the difference between supermarket own brands and most of their brand name equivalents. Certainly you soon get used to any slight variation in taste and the money you save.

I always read the ingredients labels on Medicines & painkillers etc, the majority own brand have the same as the big label, saves a lot of money.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/12/revealed-the-identical-cold-and-flu-medicines-which-cost-a-third-of-the-price
    Got boots own brand paracetamol the other week for about 15p for the box !!
    Exactly same strength etc as the named brands
  • Also a lot of the own brands are made by the big name brands as white label products with just a slight tweak to the recipe.