Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

holidays 2018 ideas

Comments

• Newquay in March (something local so we can take the pooch)
    Orlando in Oct/Nov, big family holiday which should be quality!

I'm going to florida with the family at the same time. Might see you there.
  • I suggest you hide your travellers cheques in a safer place than I did King Addick
  • Me and the missus looking to go a Greek Island for an all inclusive 10 day holiday. Any suggestions on what island and hotel would be most welcome.
  • anyone been to Barcelona before, going next month to see a match with my son, never been before, hoping to do the stadium/ museum tour thingy, and a hop on hop off bus ride, any good places to eat/ visit?

Saw a thing on tripadvisor that they do a helicopter ride over the city, any good or a waste of dosh?

I presume you know the match day/time can/will be switched for TV up to a few weeks before ?

We did the stadium tour and I'd recommend that.

Sagrada Familia is also a must I would say.
    When we booked tickets the match was at 8pm , its now at 4pm , have booked a few nights either side of kickoff as i didn't want to get caught out , they did a similar thing a few years back when i took my other son to Madrid , when he was 18 , hopefully this will be a bit more of a leisurely trip!

Thanks everyone for the tips , just got to dig out some budgie smugglers :wink:
    I can't see any 4pm KO's scheduled/confirmed.

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/schedule
  • edited January 2018

anyone been to Barcelona before, going next month to see a match with my son, never been before, hoping to do the stadium/ museum tour thingy, and a hop on hop off bus ride, any good places to eat/ visit?

Saw a thing on tripadvisor that they do a helicopter ride over the city, any good or a waste of dosh?

I presume you know the match day/time can/will be switched for TV up to a few weeks before ?

When we booked tickets the match was at 8pm , its now at 4pm , have booked a few nights either side of kickoff as i didn't want to get caught out , they did a similar thing a few years back when i took my other son to Madrid , when he was 18 , hopefully this will be a bit more of a leisurely trip!

No I can’t see any on there either, both the bbc and sky sports are both showing it though, so either they are incorrect, or Barca’s website needs an update, who knows good job I’m going for a few days, might get to see it before the season ends!

Any good places to have a beer or grub near the ground?
  • We went to Barcelona for a game in October and did the same as you, extended the trip to allow for all time eventualities. Bought our tickets about a week before and they still said time tbc and it wasn’t 100% confirmed until about 4 days before.
  • anyone been to Barcelona before, going next month to see a match with my son, never been before, hoping to do the stadium/ museum tour thingy, and a hop on hop off bus ride, any good places to eat/ visit?

No I can’t see any on there either, both the bbc and sky sports are both showing it though, so either they are incorrect, or Barca’s website needs an update, who knows good job I’m going for a few days, might get to see it before the season ends!

Any good places to have a beer or grub near the ground?
    All the Spanish La Liga fixtures are scheduled for 4pm Sunday, until they are switched for TV.
    I can't help you on the food & drink.

fihttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/spanish-la-liga/scores-fixtures/2018-02
  • Me and the missus looking to go a Greek Island for an all inclusive 10 day holiday. Any suggestions on what island and hotel would be most welcome.

We're thinking of doing the same , been looking at IKOS and SANI resorts . sovereign and designholidays websites are pretty good mate
  • cafcbrown said:

@Algarveaddick What's the weather generally like end of october/beginning November in the Algarve? Would you say its comparable to canary islands ?

No, it's cooler and a little more likely to rain, from what I understand (never been to the Canaries).
    Went out to Lanzarote for a week (mid December), temps were around 22-25c during the day, 15-20 latter in the day and at night. Generally it was sunny with one day of drizzle. Main problem weather wise was it was a 'tad' breezy at times.
  • Stayed at one of the Sani hotels (the cheapest of the three options!) about ten years ago mate. Was very nice, though a week would be enough there
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcbrown said:

@Algarveaddick What's the weather generally like end of october/beginning November in the Algarve? Would you say its comparable to canary islands ?

I went there a few years ago in the October half term and it pissed down 6 days out of 8 :(

Yes that's possible DM, this year we had very little rain in October.
    Was in Spain for the whole of September and the 1-3 Oct, we only had rain on our last couple of days.

I am the only person in the world who doesnt like Barcelona. But footie game definitely
  • Rome next week, Amsterdam next month, possibly Columbia in the Summer and Vegas early next year for the first stag in our group of mates. Ghana and Zambia thrown in at some point for work... Its gonna be a good year!
  • cafcbrown said:

I went there a few years ago in the October half term and it pissed down 6 days out of 8 :(

Was in Spain for the whole of September and the 1-3 Oct, we only had rain on our last couple of days.
    Rain is very, very rare until mid October, HA.
  • cafcbrown said:

And even then it’s on the plain (mainly)

Best thing to do in Barcelona is to watch your wallet. Place is awash with petty crime and don't let anyone tell you different.

Know you're going for football but if anyone else is thinking of going there, try Lisbon instead. Lovely place, loads to do and much more friendly environment.
  • Saudi Arabia are introducing tourist visas next year mate. That, as well as women being allowed to drive from June 2018 and the re-opening of cinemas, makes it a really attractive proposition!!!

Plenty of sun and sand of course and to top it all, the Yemeni rebels chuck the odd rocket over to give you a free firework display! What more could you want??? Think of the money you'll save as well by having no access to booze!!

(PS: I am here at present - working!! Home for Xmas though thank f***!).

Feel sorry for you.... sounds terrible

Best thing to do in Barcelona is to watch your wallet. Place is awash with petty crime and don't let anyone tell you different.

Know you're going for football but if anyone else is thinking of going there, try Lisbon instead. Lovely place, loads to do and much more friendly environment.
    Completely disagree... Barca is a million times better than Lisbon and I'd go as far as saying it's the best City break I've done. Been a few times now
  • Also, had no problems at all out there
  • Another agree regarding Barcelona.
    Thought it was very nice and the beach is a bonus.
    Stayed in Les Corts so easy walk to the ground
  • Sponsored links:

• The blantant petty crime has put me off Barcelona. If it’s that obvious to me why don’t the police do something about it. What a shame as it is a lovely city.
  • Bit like London then?
  • Another thumbs up for north Devon from me. Have spent a week there most years over the last twenty or so, often the first week of September when the crowds go.
    If you like walking it's fantastic, and the quality of restaurant and pub food has improved no end in that time. Tend to stay in rented farm cottages around Woolacombe/Mortehoe//Lee.
    Brilliant if you have a dog,
    Can struggle to keep small kids entertained if the weather is bad, but Ilfracombe is a pretty little town and much improved from the 90s.
  • edited January 2018
    Barcelona is a great place for a city weekend with loads to do and well set up for tourism. The pickpocketing there is awful though: virtually everyone I know who has been there has had something stolen from them or one of their mates, so you definitely need to be on your guard. It happens mainly in the Barri Gotic and Las Ramblas so try not to spend too long there.

L'eixample and Gracia are both good areas to spend time away from the tourist crowds and petty crime, and Poble Nou is a very authentic neighbourhood with its own Ramblas.
  • Bit like London then?

At least the London bobbies try to do something about it. I’ve seen plenty of people arrested in Oxford St. It’s reassuring that there’s plenty of plain clothed police and normal bobbies and cctv surveillance around to also protect against terrorism.
    My impression is that it seems to be condoned in Barcelona. As I said it’s a shame as it a beautiful city.
  • Solidgone said:

Bit like London then?

At least the London bobbies try to do something about it. I’ve seen plenty of people arrested in Oxford St. It’s reassuring that there’s plenty of plain clothed police and normal bobbies and cctv surveillance around to also protect against terrorism.
    My impression is that it seems to be condoned in Barcelona. As I said it’s a shame as it a beautiful city.
    Love Barcelona - great city to visit and plenty of beautiful coastline nearby. There are pickpockets around the Ramblas so you do need to have your wits about you - need to keep an eye on your bags if eating in one of the squares.

I've never had a problem in London up to now but I suppose it's different when you know a place.
  • cafcbrown said:

And it only rained in the north (Reinosa) glorious weather the rest of the time. Will be heading back again later this year, most likely 5 weeks around September time.
  • Like any big city in the tourist area got to be aware of your surrounding with regards to pickpockets etc. Love Barcelona although did have one incident when went down there for the Grand Prix one year. Was cutting through from Las Ramblas to our hotel on Ave Parallel when we walked through what seemed an impromptu street party. Got lots of stares from locals bedecked in dirty white vests, when a couple of girls who could only have been twelve walked up to us, spat at our feet and walked back off.
  • So looking for advice on North Devon

Anyone stayed that way before, know the area well? Stayed at any of the caravan holiday camps and could offer an opinion on?

Beaches that way look gorgeous, but wondering if a week there is going to be a problem if the weather is no good (August). Is there enough that region to fill a week if the weather is poor (will have two 8yr olds)

Love the Dorset coast and know can easily fill a week there with poor weather, but looking to try somewhere different

http://www.thebigsheep.co.uk/ - they race sheep!!
    Westward Ho!
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/arlington-court-and-the-national-trust-carriage-museum (kids i spy sheets and play ground)
    Exmoor Zoo
    Coombe Martin Dinosaur Park http://www.cmwdp.co.uk/
    Watermouth Castle
    Thanks @suzisausage booked a week at one of the caravan parks near Woolacombe. Just got to pray for some decent weather now!
  • sold our folding camper at the weekend, upgrading to a 6 berth touring caravan.......south of France booked for the summer + a few other weekend breaks (starting at Easter)

just gotta find the right van now...