Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phil Neville England Women's new coach

Zero experience - old boys network at play again. What a kick in the teeth for the woman's game after the progress made over the last few years.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jan/17/phil-neville-fa-england-womens-football

Comments

• edited January 2018
    I specifically remember hearing that bloke at The FA say he wanted a woman for the next England head coach.

As you say, kick in the teeth for the women's game.
  • Should've appointed Richard Keys and Andy Gray as co-managers.
  • Only Picked because of his brother no doubt.
  • Player manager?
  • I wonder if that greedy attention seeker that used to play for us will get a recall or if Phil is racist as well?

Yeah greedy her for not putting up with racial abuse. What an odd thing to say.
  • Give him a chance
  • I wonder if that greedy attention seeker that used to play for us will get a recall or if Phil is racist as well?

Yeah greedy her for not putting up with racial abuse. What an odd thing to say.
    Yeah, that's not why she is greedy.

What an obscure interpretation of my comment.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Philip John Neville

6 x Premier League Titles
    3 x FA Cups
    3 x Charity Shields
    1 x Champions League
    1 x Intercontinental Cup

59 x England Caps

All won at the highest level a professional footballer can play at.

Zero experience and the old boys network? Do me a favour. Neville has more experience at the highest possible level of football than pretty much the entire coaching staff in the women's game. That's not me trying to sound detrimental, just stating an uncomfortable truth.

I don't get all this man hate that seems to emanate from the pores of people if a man is hired in a role that some, personally, believe should be ring-fenced for a woman.

Good luck, Phil, and I hope you can pass on your wealth of experience to, potentially, improve the game you've stepped in to.

Haters still gonna hate, though, right?

Zero experience IN THE WOMEN'S GAME which is where he's just been given the most important job in the country.

This is maybe the best indicator that the FA think of the women's game as second class citizens.
    Youre right, he's probably over qualified.

I see it as Phil being able to pass on information and training techniques that he learned from some of the best managers in the game. Do you not think that would be of benefit to those he's going to coach/manage?

I'd like to know the thoughts of the players themselves as I suspect they're probably looking forward to picking his brain and learning from someone as decorated as Mr Neville.
  • Womens football is absolute toilet, so he'll fit right in.

Misogynist.
  • Greenie said:

Womens football is absolute toilet, so he'll fit right in.

Misogynist.
    Are you sure you support those lot? Never in the history of fuman beans as a spanner ever said or typed the word 'Misogynist', I reckon you must be a haddock mate, we know some long words, like 'timetable' and 'locomotive'.

I'm with VG on this one, they could have Neville Southall managing as far as Im concerned.
    what? after the Welsh FA declared they would never employ an English man you'd still let a taff manage the woman's team?
  • Greenie said:

Misogynist.
    Are you sure you support those lot? Never in the history of fuman beans as a spanner ever said or typed the word 'Misogynist', I reckon you must be a haddock mate, we know some long words, like 'timetable' and 'locomotive'.

I'm with VG on this one, they could have Neville Southall managing as far as Im concerned.
    what? after the Welsh FA declared they would never employ an English man you'd still let a taff manage the woman's team?
    If I was running the country yes I would, and when I do, I will.
  • Greenie said:

Misogynist.

How big can the whooshes be on here? :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Philip John Neville

3 x FA Cups
    3 x Charity Shields
    1 x Champions League
    1 x Intercontinental Cup

59 x England Caps

Zero experience and the old boys network? Do me a favour. Neville has more experience at the highest possible level of football than pretty much the entire coaching staff in the women's game. That's not me trying to sound detrimental, just stating an uncomfortable truth.

I don't get all this man hate that seems to emanate from the pores of people if a man is hired in a role that some, personally, believe should be ring-fenced for a woman.

Good luck, Phil, and I hope you can pass on your wealth of experience to, potentially, improve the game you've stepped in to.

Zero experience IN THE WOMEN'S GAME which is where he's just been given the most important job in the country.

This is maybe the best indicator that the FA think of the women's game as second class citizens.

I see it as Phil being able to pass on information and training techniques that he learned from some of the best managers in the game. Do you not think that would be of benefit to those he's going to coach/manage?

I'd like to know the thoughts of the players themselves as I suspect they're probably looking forward to picking his brain and learning from someone as decorated as Mr Neville.
    Those ladies are so lovely to be blessed by the genius of Phil Neville. Women's football really is a start up sport and hopefully Phil can really kick start it.

None of them are professional athletes who are successful in the highest echelons of their profession or anything.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Philip John Neville

3 x FA Cups
    3 x Charity Shields
    1 x Champions League
    1 x Intercontinental Cup

59 x England Caps

Those ladies are so lovely to be blessed by the genius of Phil Neville. Women's football really is a start up sport and hopefully Phil can really kick start it.

None of them are professional athletes who are successful in the highest echelons of their profession or anything.
    :neutral:

A few pretty derogatory comments there. Wouldn't like to be you right now. Not least for having to defend calling Neville a 'genius'.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Philip John Neville

3 x FA Cups
    3 x Charity Shields
    1 x Champions League
    1 x Intercontinental Cup

59 x England Caps

A few pretty derogatory comments there. Wouldn't like to be you right now. Not least for having to defend calling Neville a 'genius'.
    I think the word is Whoosh!
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Philip John Neville

3 x FA Cups
    3 x Charity Shields
    1 x Champions League
    1 x Intercontinental Cup

59 x England Caps

I think the word is Whoosh!
    Indeed you have been.
  • DRAddick said:

Only Picked because of his brother no doubt.

Only picked because of his sister Tracey no doubt.
  • He's getting a lot of stick on Twitter apparently. 5Live reporting he is being criticised for continually referring to the players as "girls or ladies" instead of women in interviews. They will be discussing it after the City/City match.
  • There’s a long way to go before women’s football is as developed as the men’s game.

Women’s football won’t be as fast or powerful as equivalent level men’s game due to the differences in physique.

It could build a slightly different style of play as good to watch.

No idea whether Phil Neville is the right person to help with that. I don’t think the coach needs to be female, they should be able to build support for the team and a vision that moves the support up and the game forwards.
  • edited January 2018
    The main issue is that he did not submit an application nor register his interest. His name was mooted at some function and he was then approached.

An announcement regarding his appointment was made on Twitter this evening. Unfortunately not on the Women's Football account but the Men's!