Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cryptos

Comments

• CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

This is not fun.

I’m still well up on what I have originally put in. I’m personally laughing at all the people going mental on reddit etc who thought crypto was free money. I only ever bought in as a bit of fun. Still I can see the future in blockchain and various coins that are out there. Hopefully this is the bubble bursting that will kill off all the shit coins
    Snap... Still in excess of 100% up, doesn't make how much I've lost over the last couple of days easier to stomach... The annoying thing is, had I seen the article re lunar new year a day earlier I would have traded the whole lot in to tether.
    WTF????

What's next? Don't tell me.. let me guess...I'm a crypto loser because I am Aries?

Hope @Dippenhall doesn't see that :-)

• There’s something beautiful in watching something collapse and people going mental over it.
  • A lot of you are saying the drop happened last year as well? If you suspected this why did you not sell high before Christmas and get back in now when its low?
  • CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

This is not fun.

I’m still well up on what I have originally put in. I’m personally laughing at all the people going mental on reddit etc who thought crypto was free money. I only ever bought in as a bit of fun. Still I can see the future in blockchain and various coins that are out there. Hopefully this is the bubble bursting that will kill off all the shit coins
    Snap... Still in excess of 100% up, doesn't make how much I've lost over the last couple of days easier to stomach... The annoying thing is, had I seen the article re lunar new year a day earlier I would have traded the whole lot in to tether.
    WTF????

What's next? Don't tell me.. let me guess...I'm a crypto loser because I am Aries?

Google it... Biggest crypto holders are Asia. Everything has taken a massive dip exactly 3 weeks before Chinese New year for last 5 years running as they pull profits for presents and travel.
  • A lot of you are saying the drop happened last year as well? If you suspected this why did you not sell high before Christmas and get back in now when its low?

I've since seen the article, had I seen it a day earlier I would have traded everything into Tether, which is a safehaven crypto currency

First I heard of it.

Still, I’m just gonna hodl and ride it out
  • CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Telcoin up 600% this week, Wham, bam, thank you maam

Wow, its your round in Belgium !
    Wasn't my cleverest decision
  • I dont want to say it lads, but i was going to plough in on Monday, but my pay got 'stuck' in Luxembourg - its now arrived today- i might hold off for a bit longer.
  • edited January 2018
    For some reason I sold all of mine on Monday, I just didn't like the look of the trend and it's probably the luckiest thing I've ever done.

Will get back in soon, minus the original investment
  • I dont want to say it lads, but i was going to plough in on Monday, but my pay got 'stuck' in Luxembourg - its now arrived today- i might hold off for a bit longer.

Nows the time... Was looking at market depth of btc about an hour ago,stacked with but orders. It will be higher when we wake up and others will follow suit imo
  • Sponsored links:

• How do you look at the 'market depth'?

Maybe put it in tomorrow. But around now is probably the best time to buy.
  • I have a private meeting with this guy tomorrow morning:

https://www.financemagnates.com/cryptocurrency/news/mike-novogratz-create-cryptocurrency-merchant-bank/

I am sure he will have plenty to say which the crypto bulls on here would find encouraging (I am highly sceptical).
  • I have been reading this thread these past few weeks and noticed a number of suggestions come up, so decided to do a search. However i couldnt find on any platform any of the following cryptos:

rchain
    Telcoin
    Nucleus vision
    Nebulas
    Self Key
    railblocks
    wanchain
    Hpb
    Iota
    render token
    zilliqa

Maybe ive misunderstood that they exist but Any tips on what platform you use? Ive looked on Coinbase/Gdax/Binance as well as Etoro.
  • I enjoyed this cartoon in Private Eye...

You thought it was just a joke...

tcrn.ch/2DfGY15
  • CAFCsayer said:

This is not fun.

Laughing at the poor sod who has lost money is as poor a character trait as the greed that made them put in more than they could afford to lose.
  • I just bought some more.
    Addick90 said:

I have been reading this thread these past few weeks and noticed a number of suggestions come up, so decided to do a search. However i couldnt find on any platform any of the following cryptos:

rchain
    Telcoin
    Nucleus vision
    Nebulas
    Self Key
    railblocks
    wanchain
    Hpb
    Iota
    render token
    zilliqa

Maybe ive misunderstood that they exist but Any tips on what platform you use? Ive looked on Coinbase/Gdax/Binance as well as Etoro.

Iota is on binance.com
    HPB is on bibox
  • How do you look at the 'market depth'?

I’d buy in now btw, markets are all back up after the last couple of days of chaos
  • CAFCsayer said:

This is not fun.

Laughing at the poor sod who has lost money is as poor a character trait as the greed that made them put in more than they could afford to lose.
    Oh wind ya neck in. Markets are accelerating back up. A market as volatile as crypto if it goes down it’s just as likely to balloon back up, that’s what I found humourous
  • CAFCsayer said:

This is not fun.

Oh I don't mind him laughing at me :-)

• Sponsored links:

• I am getting more interested by the day with this topic, is there a dummies guide I could be pointed too re bitcoin and the like.
  • Everything has been rising again the past hour

I am getting more interested by the day with this topic, is there a dummies guide I could be pointed too re bitcoin and the like.

Easiest way sign up to Coinbase buy some etherum(cheaper and faster than BTC) and transfer it to another exchange to trade with other coins
  • Everything has been rising again the past hour

I am getting more interested by the day with this topic, is there a dummies guide I could be pointed too re bitcoin and the like.

Easiest way sign up to Coinbase buy some etherum(cheaper and faster than BTC) and transfer it to another exchange to trade with other coins
    So i am on coinbase but not sure i can use my natwest card? What other options do i have?
  • edited January 2018
    I think this thread would have been mirrored if social media existed in the dot com bubble era.

As with that, those who got in early made a mint or staggering percentile returns.

Joe public and later investors saw the returns and thought "I want a piece of that easy money" and ploughed their life savings into whatever .com only to see it burst.

Those in early win, those in by the time it reaches the mass consciousness invariably do not.

I have known about bitcoin and cryptos for a good few years and felt a pang of regret for not exploring it back then with all the recent hype and substantial speculative returns for those in the know. By the time it hit (mainstream) social media I knew I'd missed the boat and didn't have the time or inclination to get in before the short frenzied window slammed shut for the late arrivals.

However it is as futile as rueing not getting in early on Google or apple. For every one of those there were thousands of duds.

Whilst there is unquestionably a future in cryptos and blockchain speculative investment opportunities will be limited. The same principle in that websites are still huge business and part of our everyday lives (even more so than during the 90s bubble) but the potential of earning something for nothing by trading their names substantainally diminished comparative to those glory days of dotcom millionaires.

Also expect it to become heavily taxed and regulated once any real consitent form of profitability sets in in future.

As was seen with the recent fidget spinner craze hype stuff up enough to give it a sense of value, get in and out quick and you'll be laughing whilst those late to the party will be left roaming round trying to flog shopping trolleys full at 10 for a $1.

Very open minded on this topic and think that conventional banking is on its way out (a separate thread in itself) and the way we do things will evolve rapidly and unrecognisably over the next two decades with the fin techs being the new masters of the universe by the time I'm drawing a pension if not sooner.

Fascinating thread.
  • Addick90 said:

Everything has been rising again the past hour

So i am on coinbase but not sure i can use my natwest card? What other options do i have?
    What card have you got, should be accepted
    https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1963534-payment-methods-for-uk-customers

I just use my debit card
  • Remember looking at Bitcoin back in 2013 I think it was, trading around $300. Obviously, did nothing about it but would never have held it this long, and I seem to remember trying to sign up with mt gox so would've lost anyway!

Have been doing a fair amount of reading around subject though, and there are pretty loud voices on both sides of the argument as to whether this is going to $100k or going to zero.

What I do find interesting is there seems to be consensus that the blockchain technology behind all this is a game changer. Whether Bitcoin lives or dies, blockchain is what really matters. A nice analogy I read in one piece compared this to the gold rush era. Plenty of people tried to find gold, plenty didn't. The ones who made money were the ones selling equipment, and other industries supporting the dreamers.

The comparison is then pretty obvious. Everyone is trying to latch onto which crypto is the one that's going to make their fortune. When what one probably should be doing is looking at the technology that underlines all this...blockchain.

How can we invest and profit then? There aren't usually any quick routes to making lots of money. But the interesting fairly low risk plays that can profit from blockchain are buying into companies positioning themselves in it.

The first you've all heard of...Microsoft. A quick Google search of Microsoft Azure will fill you in here, but they are making massive investment in this area. It makes sense that a tech giant should be well placed to move in this market. Currently trades around $90/share.

The other stock is a bit more obscure but they are huge in financial processing and clearing is Broadridge Financial Solutions. Again, looks like they are investing heavily in blockchain, which could revolutionise financial processes, where they dominate. Currently trades around $95/share.

These look like safer plays in this scary world to me! If blockchain kicks off they are well positioned to benefit, and they are market leaders anyway so you own a solid company from the start as it is.
  • CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

This is not fun.

WTF????

Google it... Biggest crypto holders are Asia. Everything has taken a massive dip exactly 3 weeks before Chinese New year for last 5 years running as they pull profits for presents and travel.
    That's exactly why I sold most of my coins last week, not because I foresaw the crash, I have a month of work and I wanna see 3 new countries so wanted some cash.

I guess I wasn't the only one.
  • edited January 2018
    Hi, @PolzeathNick , good to see you on this thread.

A few days and several pages further back, I posted this link to a Motley Fool article which essentially agrees with your viewpoint on how to invest. It mentions there an investment trust from Polar Capital which includes Microsoft as one of its major holdings. I've watchlisted that fund, rather than piling in now, because I'm aware the big tech reporting season is almost upon us and might gave an effect on the fund price if some of them disappoint. Any thoughts?
  • Yeah hard to disagree with that logic. Markets had a fair run recently, so could well be better opportunity to buy tech related stocks. Certainly like the angle though.
  • Hi, @PolzeathNick , good to see you on this thread.

A few days and several pages further back, I posted this link to a Motley Fool article which essentially agrees with your viewpoint on how to invest. It mentions there an investment trust from Polar Capital which includes Microsoft as one of its major holdings. I've watchlisted that fund, rather than piling in now, because I'm aware the big tech reporting season is almost upon us and might gave an effect on the fund price if some of them disappoint. Any thoughts?

Realistically the impact of blockchain on Microsoft's earnings and thus market cap (currently $695bn!) will be de minimis - moreover if you want to own Microsoft then just buy it rather than a fund which has a small holding in it (alongside lots of other small holdings that have no blockchain exposure whatsoever).

Looking forward I would expect there to be a 'blockchain ETF' created by one of the more innovative providers and this will likely offer a sensible way to get diversified exposure to the specific theme.