Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone play Sunday League these days?

Comments

• Returning to Sunday League this year after a year off. Flattering to deceive on terrible pitches (none of them will be "my type of pitch") for Crayford Eagles (I know, what a shite name).

We're in the Kent Suburban Division 1 and have a Fair Play Cup Final this Sunday at Phoenix before the season kicks off properly the week after.

Got half a dozen decent players from what I've seen so far, but no doubt we'll be scrambling around for players most Saturday nights and Sunday mornings just to make the 11 despite having about 25 signed on!

Ahh Sundays!

I run a team called Erith Athletic FC. I believe we are in the same league! Just checked fixtures and we are playing you on the 17th September.
  • Played, managed and was Secretary to a side in the Hastings & East Sussex Sunday league, went from 7 divisions to 5, then 3, then, folded 3 years ago. Saturday League now going the same way, loca football and cricket dying all over the country. FA & ECB only interested in big clubs......
  • I skipper a team on Saturday afternoons that place in the Amateur Football Combination. The club run three teams and on the most part we don't struggle for players, although have done in the past. Subs are £10, training is free for club members (membership is £35 for the season). Although there are reduced rates for unemployed & students.

We use Hall Place and the new changing facilities are there are some of the best in the league. Pitches aren't great, but neither is the standard of the the football.

The standard of refereeing is pretty good, our 1st XI tend to have a ref appointed by the league and we've got a couple of good refs we rely on for 2nd and 3rd XI matches.

What division are you in in the AFC @JollyRobin ? I played for several years for a team in North London in the AFC and we were in the second tier where it's pretty much London-wide (we folded a couple of years ago when we plateaued, started to hit 30 and lost the hunger). The standard in the top couple of leagues was half decent I thought, a few really good players knocking around although a lot of the pitches were still relatively poor quality (barring a few exceptions).
  • I skipper a team on Saturday afternoons that place in the Amateur Football Combination. The club run three teams and on the most part we don't struggle for players, although have done in the past. Subs are £10, training is free for club members (membership is £35 for the season). Although there are reduced rates for unemployed & students.

We use Hall Place and the new changing facilities are there are some of the best in the league. Pitches aren't great, but neither is the standard of the the football.

The standard of refereeing is pretty good, our 1st XI tend to have a ref appointed by the league and we've got a couple of good refs we rely on for 2nd and 3rd XI matches.

What division are you in in the AFC @JollyRobin ? I played for several years for a team in North London in the AFC and we were in the second tier where it's pretty much London-wide (we folded a couple of years ago when we plateaued, started to hit 30 and lost the hunger). The standard in the top couple of leagues was half decent I thought, a few really good players knocking around although a lot of the pitches were still relatively poor quality (barring a few exceptions).
    Our first team play in Senior 3 South, our second team in 3 South and our third team in 8 South.
  • Plan to get back into it next season, started training again last week, fitness isn't an issue, quality however is...
  • Dazzler21 said:

Plan to get back into it next season, started training again last week, fitness isn't an issue, quality however is...

What about pace, Dazzler .... ? :smile:

• I'm considering starting again, haven't played for months after I did my foot in. Am a fair bit heavier than last time I played and need to get a bit fitter first. I went to the gym for the first time in ages last night and suffered.

I'll be 50 in May and have always said I still want to be playing at that age.
  • Oggy Red said:

Dazzler21 said:

Plan to get back into it next season, started training again last week, fitness isn't an issue, quality however is...

Walking football do 11's right?
  • edited January 2018

I'm considering starting again, haven't played for months after I did my foot in. Am a fair bit heavier than last time I played and need to get a bit fitter first. I went to the gym for the first time in ages last night and suffered.

There's a dad that trains with us mid-week and he's one of our best players technically at least, He's 58 and plays as a CAM if we do game scenarios.

You've got time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

I'm considering starting again, haven't played for months after I did my foot in. Am a fair bit heavier than last time I played and need to get a bit fitter first. I went to the gym for the first time in ages last night and suffered.

You really need to be playing with your own age group though, Dave.
    And after not playing for a while - your mind will think you can still do things that you've always done, but your body will struggle to keep up.

I played competively in Cornwall (East Cornwall League Div 1) until I was 50.
    Got to the stage when 90 minutes was killing me, against players half my age who suddenly seemed to get much quicker!

I knew it was time to quit, when I'd get home after a game, already showered and after a couple of beers - and then lay half dead in the bath for 2 hours, too knackered to go out on a Saturday night.

Still carried on playing 5-a-side at Goals! until I was 60.
    But the intensity of playing for an hour against much younger players and getting injuries that took too long to heal, told me that it was time to stop.

Last played in a charity match for my village Vets side against Plymouth Argyle Legends, 18 months ago.
    I was the oldest player on the pitch at 61, playing against ex-Pros but everyone said I had a decent game.

I couldn't walk for a week after.

You're right mate, should have mentioned that it will be 7 a side at goals I'll be playing, not 11 a side (although will hopefully play in the odd game or two).

• There's not many things that make me wince, but the thought of a crunching tackle is just too much to think about. And, I never used to mind a crunching tackle in my day.
  • Dazzler21 said:

There's a dad that trains with us mid-week and he's one of our best players technically at least, He's 58 and plays as a CAM if we do game scenarios.

You've got time!
    My brother is still playing the occasional Sunday morning game and he's 58.
  • Oggy Red said:

You really need to be playing with your own age group though, Dave.
    And after not playing for a while - your mind will think you can still do things that you've always done, but your body will struggle to keep up.

I played competively in Cornwall (East Cornwall League Div 1) until I was 50.
    Got to the stage when 90 minutes was killing me, against players half my age who suddenly seemed to get much quicker!

I knew it was time to quit, when I'd get home after a game, already showered and after a couple of beers - and then lay half dead in the bath for 2 hours, too knackered to go out on a Saturday night.

Still carried on playing 5-a-side at Goals! until I was 60.
    But the intensity of playing for an hour against much younger players and getting injuries that took too long to heal, told me that it was time to stop.

Last played in a charity match for my village Vets side against Plymouth Argyle Legends, 18 months ago.
    I was the oldest player on the pitch at 61, playing against ex-Pros but everyone said I had a decent game.

I couldn't walk for a week after.

You're right mate, should have mentioned that it will be 7 a side at goals I'll be playing, not 11 a side (although will hopefully play in the odd game or two).

Good luck, Dave. Will 7-a-side be a slower game than the the quick intensity of 5-a-side?
    You should be fine if it's against your own age group.

I'll tell you something else ...... when I last played 11-a-side at my local club ground, I was amazed how huge the pitch now seemed, since I used to play regularly there!

Make the most of it. If you feel you can still play, Dave - then play.
    When you can't do it anymore, you're a long time finished.

• Oggy Red said:

Dazzler21 said:

I quit playing at 53, after seeing the pace of @Dazzler21 and @NathanPrior (in plimsols) v Ipswich? I knew then that it was a young mans game. ;)
  • If Douchebag doesn't sell soon we'll all be watching Sunday morning football.
  • edited January 2018
    Used to. Loved it. Injured back ended a glorious career.

Used to play in the London Friendly League. Dirtiest league in football.
  • 43 now and love playing more than ever.

Vets football is the bollocks
  • Playing in Woolwich and Eltham League at the minute
  • JamesSeed said:

Used to play as well. Played in a men’s team from only 17-19 though as I tore my cruciate in my right knee when I was 19. There’s not many things I’ve had in my life where I look back with regret or sorrow but I was absolutely gutted I could never play again after that. Would do anything to change that :-(

• Sponsored links:

• Dizzle said:

Playing in Woolwich and Eltham League at the minute

Which team?
  • 46 play vets saturday afternoons - we play cup games and friendlies only so can go charlton - i'm still better than semedo
  • Played my first game of the season a few weeks back. Been playing/managing/secretary for the same club for 36 years. Came very close to folding back in November but somehow managed to bring in a bunch of 18 year olds who have transformed things.
  • cabbles said:

JamesSeed said:

Used to play as well. Played in a men’s team from only 17-19 though as I tore my cruciate in my right knee when I was 19. There’s not many things I’ve had in my life where I look back with regret or sorrow but I was absolutely gutted I could never play again after that. Would do anything to change that :-(

Chin up mate. You’d still be better than Ajose.
  • Morboe said:

Dizzle said:

Which team?
    FC Plasma.

Don’t ask why they are called that. I don’t know. Yes it is a shit name :smiley:
  • DOUCHER said:

46 play vets saturday afternoons - we play cup games and friendlies only so can go charlton - i'm still better than semedo

Blackheath wanderers?
  • Dizzle said:

Morboe said:

Dizzle said:

Which team?
    FC Plasma.

All doped out on LCD.

• DOUCHER said:

46 play vets saturday afternoons - we play cup games and friendlies only so can go charlton - i'm still better than semedo

Blackheath wanderers?
    Beaverwood
  • DOUCHER said:

DOUCHER said:

Blackheath wanderers?
    Beaverwood
    Played them a few times, know a few of em, Arsenal kit?
  • Simonsen said:

Played my first game of the season a few weeks back. Been playing/managing/secretary for the same club for 36 years. Came very close to folding back in November but somehow managed to bring in a bunch of 18 year olds who have transformed things.

Same happened with my marriage.