Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD to demand answers at pre-match rally on Saturday (ed. POSTPONED )

Comments

• edited January 2018
    Still want to know what happens if Roland Richard decides to not come and speak to fans? @sm your reply insinuates he will be willing to speak with CARD at all.
  • Redrobo said:

AddickFC81; it is not a protest, it is a rally.

We are seeking answers and clarification.

Seeking or demanding?
  • Richard Murray cannot speak for the future of the club.

I guarantee that the most you hear will be, nothing, or that a vague promise the negotiations for the proposed takeover are ongoing, but nothing has been finalised.

Demonstrating outside the club, the fans will let off steam and then their frustration will turn to anger.

Roland is a coward , he will be no where near the Valley.

He wants out, and will only sell to the highest bidder. he will make the final decision.

Far better idea would to demonstrate outside Roland house in Belgium.

Ruffle up Roland and his neighbours for the whole weekend, that is far better more effective course of action.

Why does anyone think that more than one action is not possible ? Both can be done.
  • Murray should’ve been as much of cards target in the last two yrs as RD and KM but he wasn’t

Murray was on that quartered CARD picture with RD, KM & Karel Fraye- the latter got a cross through when he left and KM would have one now.

I believe this was withdrawn because of Murray's illness?

• Firstly I want to congratulate CARD on their continued campaign which has done a massive amount to highlight the issues that have been created by Roland Duchatelet and his ownership of CAFC. That said I really believe that the idea that Richard Murray will come into the car park and make some sort of statement regarding the future of the club and the players is somewhat naïve for several reasons:

1) Its probably not his place to make any statement on behalf of RD and indeed he probably doesn't know exactly what he has planned. Moreover he cannot give assurances regarding players future because that really is up to RD, the players agent and the player himself
    2) If there is Due Diligence taking place then in fact statements regarding the future of the club will be curtailed until this is complete, otherwise valuations that have been initially agreed may be changed as a result of somebody saying something that could be detrimental either way.
    3) Why would he "put his head in the lions mouth" like this? I certainly wouldn't, gatherings like this generally don't shed much light but do generate a lot of heat. How is he sensibly going to answer genuine concerns with everyone baying at once? Just doesn't work

What would be a better idea would be for CARD representatives to seek a one to one meeting where a genuine, constructive conversation can take place, I for one trust the CARD folks to report on this via this site and would be a far more sensible approach.

Clearly the old goat wants out however, and here is the problem, he has stated clearly that CAFC does not figure large in his portfolio hence he cares little about it so he is in a position if he so chooses to hang this out, strip the assets and move it on when he can get something adjacent to want he wants, just to make a point.

I see this situation possibly different from a lot of you guys and view the current situation as potentially the most dangerous to the club, we have an owner who has stated he's no longer interested, it doesn't make a dent in his personal wealth one way or the other, he appears to be stripping out what he can before any sale goes through and lastly he could pull the plug on any deal after all this has happened leaving us worse off now than we were in December.

If the EFA do not look at their criteria for owning Football clubs after this (and other) farrago then they are not worth a shitty stick.

Good luck to CARD and you guys on Saturday (can't make the game) and I guess it's a case of hope for the best and expect the worst.

I agree - hope I'm wrong but looks to me that the 2 people who were maybe in on his recent plan to sell (seemed that something changed around the time of the Best deal) have jumped ship before the real 'shit' starts happening - we could be entering a period of cutting costs down to the bone leaving a skeleton management team in place and him just sitting back in Belgium with 2 fingers up. If that does turn out to be the case then things could get very bad. I think we have to hope this takeover goes through because a war of attrition could end very very badly for everybody. Would RM jump then and if so how would the club be lead by over here??? Let's hope a buyout including ground, training ground and everything else is sorted asap.
  • DOUCHER said:

Firstly I want to congratulate CARD on their continued campaign which has done a massive amount to highlight the issues that have been created by Roland Duchatelet and his ownership of CAFC. That said I really believe that the idea that Richard Murray will come into the car park and make some sort of statement regarding the future of the club and the players is somewhat naïve for several reasons:

1) Its probably not his place to make any statement on behalf of RD and indeed he probably doesn't know exactly what he has planned. Moreover he cannot give assurances regarding players future because that really is up to RD, the players agent and the player himself
    2) If there is Due Diligence taking place then in fact statements regarding the future of the club will be curtailed until this is complete, otherwise valuations that have been initially agreed may be changed as a result of somebody saying something that could be detrimental either way.
    3) Why would he "put his head in the lions mouth" like this? I certainly wouldn't, gatherings like this generally don't shed much light but do generate a lot of heat. How is he sensibly going to answer genuine concerns with everyone baying at once? Just doesn't work

What would be a better idea would be for CARD representatives to seek a one to one meeting where a genuine, constructive conversation can take place, I for one trust the CARD folks to report on this via this site and would be a far more sensible approach.

Clearly the old goat wants out however, and here is the problem, he has stated clearly that CAFC does not figure large in his portfolio hence he cares little about it so he is in a position if he so chooses to hang this out, strip the assets and move it on when he can get something adjacent to want he wants, just to make a point.

I see this situation possibly different from a lot of you guys and view the current situation as potentially the most dangerous to the club, we have an owner who has stated he's no longer interested, it doesn't make a dent in his personal wealth one way or the other, he appears to be stripping out what he can before any sale goes through and lastly he could pull the plug on any deal after all this has happened leaving us worse off now than we were in December.

If the EFA do not look at their criteria for owning Football clubs after this (and other) farrago then they are not worth a shitty stick.

Good luck to CARD and you guys on Saturday (can't make the game) and I guess it's a case of hope for the best and expect the worst.

I agree - hope I'm wrong but looks to me that the 2 people who were maybe in on his recent plan to sell (seemed that something changed around the time of the Best deal) have jumped ship before the real 'shit' starts happening - we could be entering a period of cutting costs down to the bone leaving a skeleton management team in place and him just sitting back in Belgium with 2 fingers up. If that does turn out to be the case then things could get very bad. I think we have to hope this takeover goes through because a war of attrition could end very very badly for everybody. Would RM jump then and if so how would the club be lead by over here??? Let's hope a buyout including ground, training ground and everything else is sorted asap.
    That's rather the point of asking questions now.
  • JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

So we're at war and the vast majority hate the owner of the club.
    This owner is apparently looking to sell the club.
    And we're expecting the owner when he sells any players to give Robinson a percentage to buy.

How many players being sold would it take for you to want to do something, if only to demonstrate that you feel it's wrong? It's almost like he wants to sell the club and bring it to its knees at the same time. And that's ok?
    In fact, Roland has continually sold players since almost day one of his tenure. I went to one of the KM supporter meetings last season and when questioned on the escalating debt, she said that Roland knows he won't get all his money back - does he? Suns up his delusion!
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Still want to know what happens if Roland Richard decides to not come and speak to fans? @sm your reply insinuates he will be willing to speak with CARD at all.

not much - he will just diminish as a human being and there will be a lot of noise - we are not the storming of the palace gate types, nor should we be.
  • And there was me thinking that Gollum had already diminished somewhat from Sméagol.

Effing ‘my precious’.
  • sm said:

Dazzler21 said:

not much - he will just diminish as a human being and there will be a lot of noise - we are not the storming of the palace gate types, nor should we be.
    I'll put my torch and pitchfork away then...

• YTS1978 said:

Not sure this will be particularly helpful to be honest!

Nothing anyone has done so far has been helpful has it? The old scrotum is still here and dragging his duct tape over a greedy sale. I will be there and will call on Murray with everyone else to face his supporters and tell us what the fuck is going on. He's the link between the Owner and the Supporters as I remember it and even recently was elevated to an even loftier status of Special-Go-Between.
    And fair play to you Cardinal. You get down there and voice your opinion. I just want three points. Roland appears to be on his way out, so I'd rather concentrate on football.
  • I hope egos are not what is driving this. I hope there is one deep rooted aim and that is support for Charlton and to see the failure of RD and KM gone. KM has gone but the poison is still in the club.
    My take is to expect Murray to come and address the crowd is a rather far fetched expectation.
    We all appear to be of the view Murray has been too supportive of the current regime and now is his time to assist the club.
    I feel he may respond but not to a shouting protest.
    It would be wise for CARD to write him a letter ( their words are usually excellent) symbolically present it to the club at the protest and let him respond to that. I hope the response may be directly to CARD
    , which they can publish, or through the club.
    He must know what is needed and that he is expected to manage in a different way. If he does not, forget the protest- all is lost.

Egos? No.
    Letter? Yes.
  • Covered in tonight's Evening Standard
  • colthe3rd said:

JamesSeed said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

To deal with the false “spiteful individuals” narrative, 13 people representing the various elements of the coalition met last night for two hours to consider what action to take. This was a plan worked up collectively at the meeting. There was no dissent in the room.

The CARD statement was shared and agreed this morning by a wider group including about half a dozen people who couldn’t be there last night.

This is how CARD works, and has always worked.

So there would be absolutely no chance of a couple of individuals planting a seed, making suggestions and the others running with it?
    If you understood the personalities of the people round the table - all of whom have put many hours of their time into CARD over the last couple of years - you’d understand how wrong that is. It’s not just about turning up at occasional protests.

The breadth of the group is the reason it isn’t prone to narrow agendas or reckless initiatives.
    Well I can only take your word for it but this idea seems to have missed the mark. I don't remember so many on here questioning CARD's proposed actions so much and it hasn't even been stickied.

Can you explain what the point of this exercise is and if it's a long term play how does it fit in?
    Yet it has attracted 116 likes, which is vastly more than any critical comment made about it.

For the reasons I’ve already set out, I don’t and won’t speak for others involved in CARD. It’s fair comment that people can’t be expected to judge other people who haven’t identified themselves, but I think the idea CARD is a narrow group needs to be knocked down.

It’s very unlikely that any statement would achieve universal support and of course in drawing up any plan you look at its shortcomings and weigh them up. But you might adopt it in spite of these.

My view is that a situation in which RD sells Konsa, possibly others, puts nothing back in and then continues to own the club as the season dribbles away is unacceptable. If that is the position then we may not be able to stop it but we should certainly not accept it. I don’t think Karl Robinson accepts it either.

Richard Murray chose to be Duchatelet’s spokesperson and recently has chosen to take on an active role within the club. He’s not an employee - he can’t be ordered to do so. As such I really don’t see why he shouldn’t be asked again for the statement that Robinson was pretty obviously trying to force him to make with his comments last Saturday.

Do you really think Robinson was under the impression RM planned to make a statement?
    I stated that I don't remember so many on here not in full support. Go back to other initiatives and how many negative comments were there from long term posters and going by your metric of success how many likes did it get?

Regardless, you haven't really answered my questions though. You'd do well as a politician.

And just to add CARD haven't asked Murray for a statement, they've demanded guarantees. The two are quite different.
    As a matter of interest is there a point at which you would be happy to add your voice to any protest? If Konsa is sold? If Aribo joins him? Bauer? Clarke? Becuase that isn't outside the realms of possibility.
    Or is it ok to sit back and watch it happen without comment?
    And as for some people saying that we should acquiesce in case we put off prospective owners. Well if any prospective owners aren't well intentioned, then I hope the fact that Charlton fans don't take it lying down does put them off.

This protest was never going to be as do or die as previous protests held when Duchatelet was refusing to budge over many issues including his ownership, because there's a sense of relief that the club is finally up for sale. But what harm could it do to let the world know that some things are still happening that don't sit well with us.
    Would I be pissed off and very angry about it? Yes of course. If Roland is going to sell those players and not reinvest in the team is this protest/gathering whatever you want to call it going to make any bit of difference? Let's face it he has been doing it since he took over and the protests haven't sopped him.

I'm just questioning what this action hopes to achieve and what (if any) the long term goal is of it. I could potentially see some credit in it if it's leading to a bigger play but someone from CARD needs to say so because on the face of it this action on it's own has very little merit.

So back down with your condescending post.
    I asked you a couple of questions. If you think that's condescending I'm sorry, but this is a platform for debate.
  • All the time Duchatelet remains as owner there is nothing that we can do to stop him selling players (assuming that the players in question agree to the move).
    If, however, I was one of the prospective buyers I would be monitoring the situation during the transfer window. If I had a tentative offer of say £25m on the table and the club sold players for £5m, then surely my revised offer would be £20m and Roland doesn't actually gain anything. Or am I being too simplistic?

Seems logical to me.
    But for any buyer the dream scenario must be promotion THIS season, and Duchatelet selling our best players at the last minute must seem like sabotage.
  • colthe3rd said:

Redrobo said:

AddickFC81; it is not a protest, it is a rally.

We are seeking answers and clarification.

Seeking or demanding?
    Does it make that much difference. 'Demanding' is just a bit angrier that's all. Nothing wrong with a bit of anger if it's justified.

Of course RM might be able to set people's minds a rest. Nothing wrong with that either.
  • Sponsored links:

• He could get in touch with jim white and do a talksport piece.

Hopefully wouldn't as bad as when meire did it.

Obviously very unlikely
  • In fairness, all he has done is ask another couple of questions... that continue to be ignored...

1. what this action hopes to achieve

2.what (if any) the long term goal is of it.

3. I could potentially see some credit in it if it's leading to a bigger play but someone from CARD needs to say so because on the face of it this action on it's own has very little merit.
    - OR to simplify 'Can Card say whether this leads on to a bigger play? '

Admittedly the bit about condescension was uncalled for, but I think those questions are still valid.
  • @Covered End well, we were reportedly £30m + in debt before he tipped up, so no doubt he took on some liability for that. Owners always want to claw their "loans" back on sale, even when they've been responsible for the loses in the first place!
  • Richard could just be completely honest about the subject.

That would be nice.
  • JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

So we're at war and the vast majority hate the owner of the club.
    This owner is apparently looking to sell the club.
    And we're expecting the owner when he sells any players to give Robinson a percentage to buy.

How many players being sold would it take for you to want to do something, if only to demonstrate that you feel it's wrong? It's almost like he wants to sell the club and bring it to its knees at the same time. And that's ok?
    I'm expecting at least konsa to go this window and maybe a couple of others.
    Like many others maybe yourself included have been expecting konsa to go for a few months now.
    Roland will Robinson about as much money as I have on me now to reinvest and I'm currently in the bath.
    So we've known konsa s going and a takeover has been imminent for a fees weeks now.
    Do I think it's right of course not but I do realise we are in a war and will suffer casualties.
    James when konsa this window and maybe others what do you intend on doing
  • I think this offers Murray an opportunity to reposition himself. If I was advising him, I would suggest he makes as comprehensive a statement as he can, but not face to face, but in the next day or so.

I would have thought that is one of the main reasons for CARD's action. No one really wants to protest against our great club, but will do so if we are forced to do so. It wouldn't take much for RM to be at tomorrow's press conference & field any takeover questions rather than leaving poor KR to do it.

RM is the last person in the chair over here. It is his duty to answer any questions pertaining to the running of the club. If RM & RD don't like the current state of affairs they shouldn't have left the club devoid of a CEO & FD.

All I ask for is some clarity. Why is the squad being weakened when we are currently sitting in a play-off place when other clubs in a similar position are strengthening? Why are player sales not being replaced ??
    To be fair, that's more down to timing, it would be really hard to appoint a new CEO and FD when the club is potentially about to be sold. Imagine if RD had brought in someone as CEO that the new owners then had to pay off a month later, we would then be moaning about yet another waste of money. It's unlikely anyone decent would take the roles anyway with the club about to be sold.
  • The ex CEO of Carillion is available for a short term contract.

What could go wrong?
  • Waste of time... I took part in all other protests, but not this one... There's a real danger of an embarrassingly lack of visible support on this occasion.