Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD to demand answers at pre-match rally on Saturday (ed. POSTPONED )

Comments

• Options
    COYR
  • Options

The other thing to consider is that he hasn't, as yet, sold Konsa or Aribo, only Ricky Holmes, who apparently wanted to leave anyway.
    So is the action planned a little premature? (Not that I believe that he won't sell them, or anything else that isn't nailed down, given half a chance).
    Just a question of perception from the outside world.

One consideration is that there is only one home game within the transfer window at which any action could be taken. Indeed the fact Konsa hasn’t been sold yet is rather the point.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

The other thing to consider is that he hasn't, as yet, sold Konsa or Aribo, only Ricky Holmes, who apparently wanted to leave anyway.
    So is the action planned a little premature? (Not that I believe that he won't sell them, or anything else that isn't nailed down, given half a chance).
    Just a question of perception from the outside world.

It would be a bit late to seek answers by the next home match - after the transfer window has closed. Think we might look a bit stupid to the outside world.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

To deal with the false “spiteful individuals” narrative, 13 people representing the various elements of the coalition met last night for two hours to consider what action to take. This was a plan worked up collectively at the meeting. There was no dissent in the room.

The CARD statement was shared and agreed this morning by a wider group including about half a dozen people who couldn’t be there last night.

This is how CARD works, and has always worked.

So there would be absolutely no chance of a couple of individuals planting a seed, making suggestions and the others running with it?
    If you understood the personalities of the people round the table - all of whom have put many hours of their time into CARD over the last couple of years - you’d understand how wrong that is. It’s not just about turning up at occasional protests.

The breadth of the group is the reason it isn’t prone to narrow agendas or reckless initiatives.
    Well I can only take your word for it but this idea seems to have missed the mark. I don't remember so many on here questioning CARD's proposed actions so much and it hasn't even been stickied.

Can you explain what the point of this exercise is and if it's a long term play how does it fit in?
    Yet it has attracted 116 likes, which is vastly more than any critical comment made about it.

For the reasons I’ve already set out, I don’t and won’t speak for others involved in CARD. It’s fair comment that people can’t be expected to judge other people who haven’t identified themselves, but I think the idea CARD is a narrow group needs to be knocked down.

It’s very unlikely that any statement would achieve universal support and of course in drawing up any plan you look at its shortcomings and weigh them up. But you might adopt it in spite of these.

My view is that a situation in which RD sells Konsa, possibly others, puts nothing back in and then continues to own the club as the season dribbles away is unacceptable. If that is the position then we may not be able to stop it but we should certainly not accept it. I don’t think Karl Robinson accepts it either.

Richard Murray chose to be Duchatelet’s spokesperson and recently has chosen to take on an active role within the club. He’s not an employee - he can’t be ordered to do so. As such I really don’t see why he shouldn’t be asked again for the statement that Robinson was pretty obviously trying to force him to make with his comments last Saturday.

Do you really think Robinson was under the impression RM planned to make a statement?
    My feelings about Murray have been made clear for the last two + years. Its one of the reasons I havent warmed to the approach announced today. It;s far too late imo.

Can I ask why Card has taken so long to target the man? Or did they feel it was much better to have him on the inside pissing out?
    In my view he has been a destructive influence behind the scenes since he decided to back the spivs against Varney and Kavanagh in 2012, but until Meire left he wasn’t actively involved in the running of the club.
  • Options
    Roland won't care about a protest of 100/200/300 people behind the West Stand at Charlton when he is several hundred miles away and certainly won't care about any adverse publicity in the English press.
    With regard to Richard Murray he can't provide any assurances as to what Roland will or will not do, as he holds no sway over those decisions.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

To deal with the false “spiteful individuals” narrative, 13 people representing the various elements of the coalition met last night for two hours to consider what action to take. This was a plan worked up collectively at the meeting. There was no dissent in the room.

The CARD statement was shared and agreed this morning by a wider group including about half a dozen people who couldn’t be there last night.

So there would be absolutely no chance of a couple of individuals planting a seed, making suggestions and the others running with it?
    If you understood the personalities of the people round the table - all of whom have put many hours of their time into CARD over the last couple of years - you’d understand how wrong that is. It’s not just about turning up at occasional protests.

The breadth of the group is the reason it isn’t prone to narrow agendas or reckless initiatives.
    Well I can only take your word for it but this idea seems to have missed the mark. I don't remember so many on here questioning CARD's proposed actions so much and it hasn't even been stickied.

Can you explain what the point of this exercise is and if it's a long term play how does it fit in?
    Yet it has attracted 116 likes, which is vastly more than any critical comment made about it.

For the reasons I’ve already set out, I don’t and won’t speak for others involved in CARD. It’s fair comment that people can’t be expected to judge other people who haven’t identified themselves, but I think the idea CARD is a narrow group needs to be knocked down.

It’s very unlikely that any statement would achieve universal support and of course in drawing up any plan you look at its shortcomings and weigh them up. But you might adopt it in spite of these.

My view is that a situation in which RD sells Konsa, possibly others, puts nothing back in and then continues to own the club as the season dribbles away is unacceptable. If that is the position then we may not be able to stop it but we should certainly not accept it. I don’t think Karl Robinson accepts it either.

Richard Murray chose to be Duchatelet’s spokesperson and recently has chosen to take on an active role within the club. He’s not an employee - he can’t be ordered to do so. As such I really don’t see why he shouldn’t be asked again for the statement that Robinson was pretty obviously trying to force him to make with his comments last Saturday.

Do you really think Robinson was under the impression RM planned to make a statement?
    My feelings about Murray have been made clear for the last two + years. Its one of the reasons I havent warmed to the approach announced today. It;s far too late imo.

Can I ask why Card has taken so long to target the man? Or did they feel it was much better to have him on the inside pissing out?
    In my view he has been a destructive influence behind the scenes since he decided to back the spivs against Varney and Kavanagh in 2012, but until Meire left he wasn’t actively involved in the running of the club.
    Couldn't agree more except that I still don't believe that he is actively involved in running the club.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Edit to insert missed quote:
    superclive98 12:35AM
    Roland won't care about a protest of 100/200/300 people behind the West Stand at Charlton when he is several hundred miles away and certainly won't care about any adverse publicity in the English press.

Then we must hope / try to ensure it is picked up by his local press, because he most certainly cares about what is written there. And the first step towards that aim is to get good coverage in the English media.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

Then we must hope / try to ensure it is picked up by his local press, because he most certainly cares about what is written there. And the first step towards that aim is to get good coverage in the English media.

Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily follow. I wish that it were the case.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

I stated that I don't remember so many on here not in full support. Go back to other initiatives and how many negative comments were there from long term posters and going by your metric of success how many likes did it get?

Regardless, you haven't really answered my questions though. You'd do well as a politician.

And just to add CARD haven't asked Murray for a statement, they've demanded guarantees. The two are quite different.
    One guarantee about Konsa. One timeline and clarity about what’s possible and not possible.

I don’t dispute there are more people expressing different views, but so what? If CARD had decided to say or do nothing and events unfold as seem likely there would be plenty who would disagree with that too. Sometimes there isn’t a right answer.

Broadly speaking, you have a large group of supportive people, some that say it’s “pointless” because Murray’s a discredited liar, some that say it’s in some way “unfair” on him and/or won’t get a response and another that wants to argue it’s in some way damaging of itself.

They are all legitimate views, but CARD has to make decisions. Nothing would have been right for all those groups.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

That's no excuse when you consider the kind of things he said when they ( Belgians) arrived and the way he has shamelessly defended them ever since.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

That's no excuse when you consider the kind of things he said when they ( Belgians) arrived and the way he has shamelessly defended them ever since.
    It’s a question of priorities, though - and in RM’s case he does have a positive back story to lean on, which RD and KM don’t. I’ve actually written quite a lot about this in recent years.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

People yelling “We want out Charlton back?” are going to put shivers of horror up the spines of all these competing purchasers.

Might do if you reprise that stare you gave Meire in the West...
  • Options
    Skipped reading most of this thread but I definitely feel this is the right approach from CARD and I've not always agreed with how they've done things in the past but on this occasion I absolutely agree.

My personal fear is Holmes and Konsa will both be sold off to fund the club for the rest of the season meaning RD won't have to inject any more cash into the club from his pocket. In the meantime while he's not dipping into his pocket any more he can drag a sale of the club out knowing it's not costing him any more of his own cash, even if his own valuation of the club decreases in the meantime. Lets say Holmes and Konsa go for a combined £4.5m then it's £4.5m or so he can reduce his asking price by which might get us closer to a successful bid. But then where does it stop, you could chuck in JFC, Kashi, Aribo and anybody else with a price tag to sell.

This alone is enough to have RM called out and provide some reassurances that a firesale / asset stripping isn't taking place which helps RD lower the valuation of the club without taking a haircut hence getting closer to potential bids on the table (not ITK just speculating)
  • Options
    Murray should’ve been as much of cards target in the last two yrs as RD and KM but he wasn’t

He tells nothing but lies to different sections of the fan base

And has done for numerous years

When he wanted to sell us to that crook sainsbury was the time to get rid

I take it from this action you feel we are not being sold imminently AB and that we are a long way way from anything happening otherwise you wouldn’t feel compelled to do this on sat

I still think it’s pointless and futile and this protest is more about egos than anything else which is a shame because it’s the first one I have thought that to be the case

• Options
    If I was Murray, I would send out jim Davidson. It would be Jim’s biggest gig for years!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Murray should’ve been as much of cards target in the last two yrs as RD and KM but he wasn’t

He was ill though wasn't he for much of that time?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

I stated that I don't remember so many on here not in full support. Go back to other initiatives and how many negative comments were there from long term posters and going by your metric of success how many likes did it get?

Regardless, you haven't really answered my questions though. You'd do well as a politician.

And just to add CARD haven't asked Murray for a statement, they've demanded guarantees. The two are quite different.
    As a matter of interest is there a point at which you would be happy to add your voice to any protest? If Konsa is sold? If Aribo joins him? Bauer? Clarke? Becuase that isn't outside the realms of possibility.
    Or is it ok to sit back and watch it happen without comment?
    And as for some people saying that we should acquiesce in case we put off prospective owners. Well if any prospective owners aren't well intentioned, then I hope the fact that Charlton fans don't take it lying down does put them off.

This protest was never going to be as do or die as previous protests held when Duchatelet was refusing to budge over many issues including his ownership, because there's a sense of relief that the club is finally up for sale. But what harm could it do to let the world know that some things are still happening that don't sit well with us.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

He tells nothing but lies to different sections of the fan base

And has done for numerous years

When he wanted to sell us to that crook sainsbury was the time to get rid

I take it from this action you feel we are not being sold imminently AB and that we are a long way way from anything happening otherwise you wouldn’t feel compelled to do this on sat

I still think it’s pointless and futile and this protest is more about egos than anything else which is a shame because it’s the first one I have thought that to be the case

Murray has been pretty irrelevant over the last couple of years though, and wasn't he undergoing cancer treatment for some of it?

During that time Katrien's regular faux pas made her a natural target,and she at least carried the executive name. It's no witch hunt, just rolling with the circumstances.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

What does this mean?
  • Options
    I do not believe for one second that Murray will, even as ‘acting CEO’ be in a position to give any assurances whatsoever.

I do not think he will come outside and address the fans, however many there are.

That does not necessarily make the protest pointless.

Despite the CARD statement setting out the ‘aim’ of the protest, ambitions which I believe are deliberately set to fail, it will remind Murray that there is a proportion of the fan base that no longer supports his continued involvement with the club and others that there still remains a fan base at Charlton worth interacting with.

I don’t think it will affect the takeover discussions much, don’t think it will even dissuade Murray from seeking any role he has in mind going forwards.

Limited use, probably better than nothing.

• Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

tbf I think lots of people said positive things about the Belgians when they arrived.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Haven't read it all (semi - PWR!) so it's probably been covered.

What if Murray is hamstrung by Duchatelet though? If that buffoon of an owner has told Murray not to address the fans, he won't!! Murray has already shown how subservient he is to the regime that he's now part of. He's hardly going to go against the wishes of the one who adores Murray's sycophancy.