Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Celebrities That Are Still Alive

Comments

• edited January 2018
    LenGlover said:

Richard Baker retired BBC newsreader

Yes
  • Has newsreader Richard Baker been mentioned? 92

Yes
  • Riviera said:

FFS will someone explain to dear old Len what a "Celebrity" is????!!!!
    This thread is not called People who are still Alive!!!!

I appreciate a youngster like you might not have seen Richard Baker read the news on the BBC or heard him present Start The Week on the wireless.
  • Michael Green Humorous author.

The Art of Coarse Rugby, The Art of Coarse Drinking, The Art of Coarse Sex, The Art of Coarse Golf etc.

Bit dated now maybe but amusing to old gits like me.
  • LenGlover said:

Riviera said:

FFS will someone explain to dear old Len what a "Celebrity" is????!!!!
    This thread is not called People who are still Alive!!!!

I appreciate a youngster like you might not have seen Richard Baker read the news on the BBC or heard him present Start The Week on the wireless.
    Of course I remember Richard Baker reading the news, presenting Last Night of The Proms and narrating Mary, Mungo and Midge. However he was not my favourite BBC Newsreader, that was the legendary Peter Woods.
    I am no youngster as you well know Len and have nowhere criticised Richard Baker being on this thread, he is without doubt a celebrity; it is the obscure wing 3/4's and pre Open era tennis players that you keep adding.
  • edited January 2018

Has he just died Algarve?
  • Doreen Mantle, 91. ( Mrs Warboys )
  • Ken Archer

Australian test cricketer
  • Sponsored links:

• Bucky Pizzarelli

Only 86 in this video but is 92 and still going ... I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER0AMsz94rc
  • LenGlover said:

Ken Archer

HE IS NOT A BLOODY CELEBRITY!

Happy birthday Ken by the way...
  • Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

Ken Archer

HE IS NOT A BLOODY CELEBRITY!

Happy birthday Ken by the way...
    You have Everton Weekes on your original list. I've picked out another test cricketer.

As cricket fans we both know Weekes was a great player, part of the '3Ws' and more successful and eminent than Archer but I suggest many on here will have heard of neither given the 60 odd years that have elapsed since they both played.
  • Sir Everton Weekes, not only one of the great players but he also managed West Indian sides that toured here. Ken Archer played a handful of Tests in the early 50's and all in Australia, he did nothing remarkable in his career or in his life since to warrant the title celebrity. As for the "many on here" well if the collection of oddballs and freaks that make up the users on CL were ever to be considered as a representative sample of the British public than god help us!
  • Desmond Morris. 90 today.

Author of The Naked Ape and presenter of Zoo Time way back when on TV along with other programmes.

He was also vice chairman at Oxford United in the seventies.
  • Good one Len but it is a bit sad you sitting on your computer waiting for midnight to post your names.
  • Riviera said:

Good one Len but it is a bit sad you sitting on your computer waiting for midnight to post your names.

Pure chance actually. I was working while 'Er indoors watched an award programme on which Blue Planet won something or other. I looked up Sir David Attenborough later having seen him speak and then stumbled across Desmond Morris whilst following and reading various links. I then noticed that today was his (Desmond's) birthday shortly before midnight so decided to wait and post.

• LenGlover said:

Riviera said:

Good one Len but it is a bit sad you sitting on your computer waiting for midnight to post your names.

Pure chance actually. I was working while 'Er indoors watched an award programme on which Blue Planet won something or other. I looked up Sir David Attenborough later having seen him speak and then stumbled across Desmond Morris whilst following and reading various links. I then noticed that today was his (Desmond's) birthday shortly before midnight so decided to wait and post.

But you did it with Ken Archer too....
  • edited January 2018
    Actor Jerry Maren qualifies to be in this thread in two ways and is disqualified in one.

First, he is a celebrity, in that he is a famous Hollywood actor and one of only two surviving cast members of what is probably the most famous Hollywood movie of all time, The Wizard of Oz.

Second. Because he's 98. Today. Happy birthday Jerry.

The reason he is disqualified is that, sadly, it was reported that he died a couple of years ago, of cancer. Terrible news, of course, to everyone that knew him. And, in fact, quite a surprise to Jerry himself, who was neither dead nor suffering from cancer.

So, I suggest he's in the list. Because he's famous. Because it's 98 years since he was born. And because it's already two years since he died: so he gets to qualify to be on the list again in 88 years' time.
  • Riviera said:

Sir Everton Weekes, not only one of the great players but he also managed West Indian sides that toured here. Ken Archer played a handful of Tests in the early 50's and all in Australia, he did nothing remarkable in his career or in his life since to warrant the title celebrity. As for the "many on here" well if the collection of oddballs and freaks that make up the users on CL were ever to be considered as a representative sample of the British public than god help us!

Ah - Chirpy is back. Pub must be doing well then... :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

Riviera said:

But you did it with Ken Archer too....
    Quite probably but again unintentionally.

One of my daughters gave me the most recent Wisden for Christmas and I found Ken Archer whilst browsing that. To be quite honest I knew of Ron Archer but not Ken prior to stumbling across him.

Again I noticed the birth date and again it was around midnight so I posted.

My 'bedtime' tends to be between 12 and 1 and I like to read or browse the internet before going to bed as it relaxes me mentally so it could well happen again.
  • Vincent Ball Aged 94 (born 4 December 1923)

Australian actor who has appeared in numerous films such as Danger Within, Where Eagles Dare, A Town Like Alice and Muiriel's Wedding to name just a few.

He also lived in England for a few years and appeared in Crossroads, Softly Softly Taskforce and many other sixties and seventies dramas.

I discovered that he was still alive having watched part of Time Is My Enemy on Talking Pictures last night.
  • Talking Pictures! Ha, I love it too.
  • Ysanne Churchman (born 14 May 1925)

She is the actress who played Grace Archer in the Archers.

Grace Archer died dramatically in a fire broadcast on the exact night ITV launched in 1955. It caused a great hoo hah at the time and the BBC have always denied that it was done deliberately.

Doctor Who fans who watched the Empress of Mars episode last year would have heard Ysanne as the voice of Alpha Centauri.
  • edited January 2018
    Freddie Jones (born September 12 1927)

Best known to youngsters as a longstanding actor in Emmerdale Farm (Sandy Thomas for those who watch it) but has done much more during his career.
  • LenGlover said:

Freddie Jones (born September 12 1927)

Best known to youngsters as a longstanding actor in Emmerdale Farm (Sandy Thomas for those who watch it) but has done much more during his career.

Father to the brilliant Toby Jones
  • edited January 2018
    Peter Byrne, actor, 90 today.

Played PC, later Sergeant, Andy Crawford (son in law of the Jack Warner character George Dixon) in Dixon of Dock Green for 20 odd years from the mid fifties to the mid seventies.

He was also a regular in Carla Lane's Bread in the seventies.
  • Today? You're doing it again Len!
    Missed Mr Ikea didn't you?
  • Riviera said:

Today? You're doing it again Len!
    Missed Mr Ikea didn't you?

When you first started this thread last year I looked for a few people that I thought might match the category 'over 90' and found several still living born in 1928 and made a note of them. Peter Byrne was (is) one of those.
  • Michael effing Macintyre - at least 90 years past his sell by date, mystifying he achieved any level of celebrity, equally mystifying he still walks among us, wasting oxygen.