Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

holidays 2018 ideas

Comments

• Anyone recommend Lido De Jesolo or Rimini

Rimini’s nice, spent a week there when we were travelling around Italy a few years ago. Got a bus to San Marino to visit a Ferrari and Abarth museum, well worth the trip.
  • Had a few nights in Rimini around San Marino v England a few years back. Was pleasantly surprised with the place.
  • edited January 2018
    I recommend Albufeira, or thereabouts. But not height of season, I would get out in August if I could, the only saving grace is Westsussexaddick and his family are here for a couple of weeks.
  • I recommend Albufeira, or thereabouts. But not height of season, I would get out in August if I could, the only saving grace is Westsussexaddick and his family are here for a couple of weeks.

Someone told me Quartiera is nice. What do you think Perry.

Yes, can recommend Lido De Jesolo. Have been there, had a great time, but about 20 years ago , before we had children. Typical Italian set up plenty of shop squares to look around in the evening , Bars Restaurants etc. Set right on the sea, sandy beach , most hotels have their own pools and section of beach and also you can catch the Sea Ferry to Venice for the day if you want. Great for adults, perhaps not so for young kids.
  • I recommend Albufeira, or thereabouts. But not height of season, I would get out in August if I could, the only saving grace is Westsussexaddick and his family are here for a couple of weeks.

The front is nice, but once you come off there it's not so pleasant to be honest. Much flatter than Albufeira if you don't want it too hilly though.

The front is nice, but once you come off there it's not so pleasant to be honest. Much flatter than Albufeira if you don't want it too hilly though.
    Thanks

Is it walking distance to Vilamoura
  • anyone been to Barcelona before, going next month to see a match with my son, never been before, hoping to do the stadium/ museum tour thingy, and a hop on hop off bus ride, any good places to eat/ visit?

Saw a thing on tripadvisor that they do a helicopter ride over the city, any good or a waste of dosh?
  • Great city, one of my favourites and have been a few times.
    So much to see and do and the hop on/off bus is a great way to see the main sites.

Don’t think a helicopter ride is necessarily required but each to their own.
  • Sponsored links:

• Do the cable car instead maybe?
  • I went Malta once, it was fucking horrible. It was like holidaying in a sweaty version Sheppy. Bleak and destitute. The wrinkles on my arsehole have more depth and colour.
  • You have to come to Franschhoek. Been living here for nearly 13 years, stay at our guest house, you'll get your Addicks discount and I'll take you to the local pub! The motor museum is one of the best I've ever seen! Franschhoek is just one of the most charming villages you'll ever experience. And plenty of wines to choose from, not to mention craft beers if you like that sort of thing. Views you can not beat! And good food, they don't call us the gourmet capital for nothing:-)
  • PopIcon said:

I went Malta once, it was fucking horrible. It was like holidaying in a sweaty version Sheppy. Bleak and destitute. The wrinkles on my arsehole have more depth and colour.

Where did you stay? I went in 2012 (during the Euros) and stayed at St Julians - it’s was the lively part so good bars until 5am. We did venture away from St Julian’s to other places that were boring boring tbf.
  • Not September but June. Going to Greek island when World Cup is on. Great place to be with all the matches on in tavernas and with people there from many countries. Just as well my wife loves football too.
  • PopIcon said:

I went Malta once, it was fucking horrible. It was like holidaying in a sweaty version Sheppy. Bleak and destitute. The wrinkles on my arsehole have more depth and colour.

I think Malta is worth visiting for 2 days in Valletta and a day to Mdina alone. A side trip/day to Gozo is not spectacular but worth the effort. There are only two beaches though, right next to each other and away from most resorts so if that is what someone wanted then it would certainly dissapoint. Don’t know about the night life.

Rimini’s nice, spent a week there when we were travelling around Italy a few years ago. Got a bus to San Marino to visit a Ferrari and Abarth museum, well worth the trip.
    Definitely worth a trip 'up' to San Marino.
  • Indonesia it great, quit often lots of diving activities (if you're into that) whilst the mrs can layabout by the pool. the all inclusives there are great as they are not buffet style but actual restaurants.
  • anyone been to Barcelona before, going next month to see a match with my son, never been before, hoping to do the stadium/ museum tour thingy, and a hop on hop off bus ride, any good places to eat/ visit?

Saw a thing on tripadvisor that they do a helicopter ride over the city, any good or a waste of dosh?

I presume you know the match day/time can/will be switched for TV up to a few weeks before ?

We did the stadium tour and I'd recommend that.

Sagrada Familia is also a must I would say.

Its a great city with plenty to see and do, plus it is on the beach so take your trunks.
  • Sponsored links:

Have mentioned before, I did the hop on, hop off, bus trip. There were three different routes, I took two, the last one dropping me off at the football ground, as you can see by my pic. Enjoyed the look round, but was very busy. As for the buses, very good, you got earphones and commentary telling you about the areas you are visiting, would recommend. Know nothing about the helicopter

Is it walking distance to Vilamoura
    About 40 mins walk.
  • @Algarveaddick What's the weather generally like end of october/beginning November in the Algarve? Would you say its comparable to canary islands ?
  • cafcbrown said:

@Algarveaddick What's the weather generally like end of october/beginning November in the Algarve? Would you say its comparable to canary islands ?

I went there a few years ago in the October half term and it pissed down 6 days out of 8 :(

• cafcbrown said:

@Algarveaddick What's the weather generally like end of october/beginning November in the Algarve? Would you say its comparable to canary islands ?

No, it's cooler and a little more likely to rain, from what I understand (never been to the Canaries).
  • cafcbrown said:

I went there a few years ago in the October half term and it pissed down 6 days out of 8 :(

Yes that's possible DM, this year we had very little rain in October.
  • cafcbrown said:

No, it's cooler and a little more likely to rain, from what I understand (never been to the Canaries).
    Thanks
  • cafcbrown said:

Thanks
  • edited January 2018

So looking for advice on North Devon

Anyone stayed that way before, know the area well? Stayed at any of the caravan holiday camps and could offer an opinion on?

Beaches that way look gorgeous, but wondering if a week there is going to be a problem if the weather is no good (August). Is there enough that region to fill a week if the weather is poor (will have two 8yr olds)

Love the Dorset coast and know can easily fill a week there with poor weather, but looking to try somewhere different

http://www.thebigsheep.co.uk/ - they race sheep!!
    Westward Ho!
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/arlington-court-and-the-national-trust-carriage-museum (kids i spy sheets and play ground)
    Exmoor Zoo
    Coombe Martin Dinosaur Park http://www.cmwdp.co.uk/
    Watermouth Castle

• edited January 2018

anyone been to Barcelona before, going next month to see a match with my son, never been before, hoping to do the stadium/ museum tour thingy, and a hop on hop off bus ride, any good places to eat/ visit?

I presume you know the match day/time can/will be switched for TV up to a few weeks before ?

We did the stadium tour and I'd recommend that.

Sagrada Familia is also a must I would say.
    When we booked tickets the match was at 8pm , its now at 4pm , have booked a few nights either side of kickoff as i didn't want to get caught out , they did a similar thing a few years back when i took my other son to Madrid , when he was 18 , hopefully this will be a bit more of a leisurely trip!

Thanks everyone for the tips , just got to dig out some budgie smugglers :wink: