Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

holidays 2018 ideas

Comments

• Rwanda.

The most peaceful nation in Africa. Fantastic people. Great weather. Cheap beer. Great coffee. Active volcanoes. And you can take a trip to the mountains and spend some time with some of the few remaining mountain gorillas.

And you'll come back with some fantastic stories.
  • I was under the impression this thread was about where to go/see for a holiday this year. A thread to give people ideas.
    Swisdom said:

Wifey turns 40 this year so we are having 2 weeks in Florida and doing a spot of house hunting while there.

Probably a week in Croatia or Montenegro in May just for some sunshine and something a bit different - for wifeys actual birthday treat

• Can't believe no ones mentioned Benidorm??

Had a week there (2013) and really enjoyed it, full English in the morning/mid-day and Tapas in the old town in the evening. Didn't know what to expect, just went out of curiosity and whilst there are plenty of those 'Irish' and 'Brit' pubs out there you still have a very authentic Spanish old town.
  • Any recommendations on Greek islands and best resorts/beaches would be really appreciated.

Have done Skiathos for the last 3 years and love it, but fancy a change now.

Not really looking for AI (would consider it though) but after somewhere with a resort that has nice tavernas, bars and beaches but not too much of a party place. Any decent accommodation recommendations also appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Matala in Crete is nice, with a few beaches nearby.
  • Czech Republic for me this summer... Lake side villa, flights and transfers £300 for a week. plus another £250 spending.

Only problem, I can't speak any Czech.
  • Going Montenegro in June for a week, Then to Spain in August to my FIL's villa and then we are going to CentreParcs near Paris for New Years and will take my (will be 2yr old then) to Disneyland Paris for New Years Eve parade and fireworks
  • Chizz said:

Rwanda.

The most peaceful nation in Africa. Fantastic people. Great weather. Cheap beer. Great coffee. Active volcanoes. And you can take a trip to the mountains and spend some time with some of the few remaining mountain gorillas.

And you'll come back with some fantastic stories.

Mate of mine went out there a couple of years ago and said the same thing.
  • Any recommendations on Greek islands and best resorts/beaches would be really appreciated.

Not really looking for AI (would consider it though) but after somewhere with a resort that has nice tavernas, bars and beaches but not too much of a party place. Any decent accommodation recommendations also appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Santorini is very nice but expensive, popular for couples on honeymoons and wealthy holiday makers on cruise ships. Really enjoyed Samos & Patmos (go to both on the same holiday) another twin visit could be Kos & Kalymnos and as you know Skiathos and Skopolos (Mama Mia).
  • I fancy Montenegro I've done a fair bit of travelling in Croatia and fancy moving to the less popular neighbour.

Any recommendations gratefully received.
  • Sponsored links:

Thanks in advance.

Kefalonia is beautiful - if you hire a car you can stay somewhere quiet/scenic (were were in Asos which was small, but stunning) but still be within a short drive of slightly busier harbour towns such as Fiskardo
  • I believe Budva is the party resort out there and was being built as the new Ibiza going back a few years when I was in the Country (2011) . I'm not sure if this materialised mind.

I've only been to the Capital, Podgorica, for football which was an experience. Stunning (if scary) scenery on our drive up from Dubrovnik.

I superb region of the world to travel around.
  • I believe Budva is the party resort out there and was being built as the new Ibiza going back a few years when I was in the Country (2011) . I'm not sure if this materialised mind.

I've only been to the Capital, Podgorica, for football which was an experience. Stunning (if scary) scenery on our drive up from Dubrovnik.

The roads are well dodgy in that part of the world, it's like driving on ice after it rains, lost count of the number of accidents (including one that we were involved in) on the drive between Zadar (Croatia) and the Greek border.
  • Has anyone tried Colombia? Looking at Cartagena and Santa Marta (for the Teyuna Park) for 10/14 days in the next couple of months. Looks stunning and some of the Air BnB options look great too. If anyone has experience of travelling between the two cities, would be good to know.
  • @johnnybev1987

done vegas 3 times

trip 1 with 3 mates
    trip 2 14 of us
    trip 3 with girlfreind my mum and my sister and her other half.

qaulity place and only getting better.

Rank your trips in order of enjoyment. Be honest:-)
  • @johnnybev1987

done vegas 3 times

trip 1 with 3 mates
    trip 2 14 of us
    trip 3 with girlfreind my mum and my sister and her other half.

qaulity place and only getting better.

Rank your trips in order of enjoyment. Be honest:-)
    1, 3, 2 ( really didn’t enjoy it with a lot of us was a nightmare to get everywhere )
  • TelMc32 said:

Has anyone tried Colombia? Looking at Cartagena and Santa Marta (for the Teyuna Park) for 10/14 days in the next couple of months. Looks stunning and some of the Air BnB options look great too. If anyone has experience of travelling between the two cities, would be good to know.

@CollApseFC I am not undercover DEA...wouldn't be so obvious!! :wink:
  • TelMc32 said:

Has anyone tried Colombia? Looking at Cartagena and Santa Marta (for the Teyuna Park) for 10/14 days in the next couple of months. Looks stunning and some of the Air BnB options look great too. If anyone has experience of travelling between the two cities, would be good to know.

I have a friend who has just bought an apartment in Santa Marta - keys picked up on Friday. He rates Cartagena and Barranquilla quite highly but his g/friend has too many relatives there do ended up in Santa Marta.
  • I've heard that Teletext Holidays is the way to go. Try sending them a fax about availability.

Budva is where I am staying. I’ve done a bit of research and whilst it’s supposed to lively, but it doesn’t seem to have turned in to the new Ibiza - I hope not anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

Thanks in advance.

Kefalonia is beautiful - if you hire a car you can stay somewhere quiet/scenic (were were in Asos which was small, but stunning) but still be within a short drive of slightly busier harbour towns such as Fiskardo
    +1 for Kefalonia. Beautiful place. We stayed in agia efimia for Mrs Ottos 40th.

Would suggest car rental if staying in one of the smaller towns.
  • edited January 2018
    So looking for advice on North Devon

Anyone stayed that way before, know the area well? Stayed at any of the caravan holiday camps and could offer an opinion on?

Beaches that way look gorgeous, but wondering if a week there is going to be a problem if the weather is no good (August). Is there enough that region to fill a week if the weather is poor (will have two 8yr olds)

Love the Dorset coast and know can easily fill a week there with poor weather, but looking to try somewhere different
  • hawksmoor said:

I've heard that Teletext Holidays is the way to go. Try sending them a fax about availability.

Freddie Lakers doing some good value AIs
  • cafcpolo said:

decided on mexico, riviera maya area @ValleyGary has given me a blinding recomendation anyone else been here, just they all look class.

I'm off to Excellence Playa Murjeres which isn't too far away mid March. Not cheap, but been saving and first proper holiday for about 8years. Was very highly recommended to me. Can't wait!
    I think it was the Playa Majueres outside Cancun we went to for our honeymoon. Amazing hotel. Could not find a single fault but then I did spend what felt like months researching places.

Yep we went to EPM 2 years ago. Was quality. Restaurants were top notch.

Drinking Icebergs (half lager and half frozen Margherita) in the pool bar - what's not to like!
  • Solidgone said:

TelMc32 said:

I have a friend who has just bought an apartment in Santa Marta - keys picked up on Friday. He rates Cartagena and Barranquilla quite highly but his g/friend has too many relatives there do ended up in Santa Marta.
    Spent a week in Cartagena for my mates wedding. Really enjoyed it and the old part is lovely. We did a few nights out before the wedding with the bride's family which was great to join in with some local traditions. Better learn how to merengue/salsa too!
  • So looking for advice on North Devon

Anyone stayed that way before, know the area well? Stayed at any of the caravan holiday camps and could offer an opinion on?

Beaches that way look gorgeous, but wondering if a week there is going to be a problem if the weather is no good (August). Is there enough that region to fill a week if the weather is poor (will have two 8yr olds)

Love the Dorset coast and know can easily fill a week there with poor weather, but looking to try somewhere different

Ilfracombe is really nice and a visit to Tintagel is recommended. Have to say that the whole north Devon coastline is very very windy.
  • Hoping to get back to Guatemala this year, either in summer or for Christmas. It's where my wife is from and she has lots of family there, which is useful as it's a pretty complicated country to travel round. Beautiful but very troubled. Anyone on here been there? It's well worth a visit but not for the faint hearted.
  • Anyone recommend Lido De Jesolo or Rimini
  • So looking for advice on North Devon

Ilfracombe is really nice and a visit to Tintagel is recommended. Have to say that the whole north Devon coastline is very very windy.
    And best of luck with the weather. Always seem to rain during the main holiday weeks. I was lucky in 1976 with the heatwave.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

If you go Mexico, avoid Cancun and go Riviera Maya / Playa del Carmen. So much nicer.

Cancan is getting quite violent, gang stuff going on.

Consider Cabos for Mexico too. On the Pacfic side. You can't swim at many beaches due to rip tides, but there are loads of very nice resorts and quite a few thing to do.

We stayed here last year and it was great, and you can eat at some off resort restaurants included in your all inclusive deal.

https://www.haciendaencantada.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIov_v2_Ha2AIVkfhkCh0JywDEEAAYASAAEgJTg_D_BwE