Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• To be fair to mike ashley he’s clearly learned throughout his time at Newcastle.

Are you saying, he leant from his mistakes?
  • Please Allah, no!

Ashley would be a disaster. Why? Because he has been one everywhere he goes. But it would make some sense. With Muir being an expert at reducing debt and Ashley demanding to make a profit each year, combined they would be a tag team of destruction. Ashley is one of the most hated owners in the world of football. To think he might be okay for us because we are small flies in the face of his history, in my opinion. He has been despised everywhere he goes almost as much as RD has. Plus, the idea he might be spending some money to own CAFC shares while he has made zero funds available this window for a PL club in a critical relegation battle, says all you need to know, if true. Ashley has taken one of the bigger clubs in England and got them relegated twice and maybe even a third time by the end of the year. Not what we need here.

Rangers fans are no fan
    http://www.businessinsider.com/glasgow-rangers-fans-hate-sports-direct-and-newcastle-united-billionaire-mike-ashley-2015-2

From the other day.... sound familiar?
    http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/11/report-rafael-benitez-still-does-not-know-his-transfer-budget-at/

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss?
    https://www.themag.co.uk/2016/04/hate-mike-ashley-hate-will-always-newcastle-united/

And in this list, #s 4,5,6 are identical to issues we have now
    http://worldsoccertalk.com/2009/10/12/7-reasons-why-newcastle-united-fans-dislike-mike-ashley/

No thanks.

Over reaction post of the year. One of the most hated owners in world football ? Really ?
    How is he on a par with the Oystons, Roland or the people who have been at Orient, Portsmouth, Hull, Cardiff, Birmingham, Hartlepool etc ?
    He’s not liked by Newcastle fans because he’s not a Geordie, pure and simple. It’s why they labelled him and his mates, The Cockney Mafia.

As for Newcastle being one of the bigger clubs, they’re really not that big. Not outside Geordieland anyway.
    Ok fair enough he's not as bad as Oyston or the Coventry owners but he's not been great.

Employed his mate Llambias as chairman.
    Sacking Allardyce too soon.
    Sacking Hughton too soon.
    Employing Joe Kinnear as Director of Football who famously approached a club to sign a player...........who was on loan from Newcastle!!
    Renaming St James' Park to Wonga and then Sports Direct.
    Giving Pardew a 6 year (or whatever it was) contract.
    Giving John Carver the managers job.

To say he's not liked simply because he's not a geordie isn't true. If you're not a geordie and you do well then they'll take to you (Asprilla, Ketsbaia, Phillip Albert as good examples) but Ashley has made a lot of bad decisions there.

And i don't see how you can say that a club who get 52k every week and averaged over 50k in the championship are not a big club.
  • Have not won enough silverware.
  • Please Allah, no!

Ashley would be a disaster. Why? Because he has been one everywhere he goes. But it would make some sense. With Muir being an expert at reducing debt and Ashley demanding to make a profit each year, combined they would be a tag team of destruction. Ashley is one of the most hated owners in the world of football. To think he might be okay for us because we are small flies in the face of his history, in my opinion. He has been despised everywhere he goes almost as much as RD has. Plus, the idea he might be spending some money to own CAFC shares while he has made zero funds available this window for a PL club in a critical relegation battle, says all you need to know, if true. Ashley has taken one of the bigger clubs in England and got them relegated twice and maybe even a third time by the end of the year. Not what we need here.

Rangers fans are no fan
    http://www.businessinsider.com/glasgow-rangers-fans-hate-sports-direct-and-newcastle-united-billionaire-mike-ashley-2015-2

From the other day.... sound familiar?
    http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/11/report-rafael-benitez-still-does-not-know-his-transfer-budget-at/

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss?
    https://www.themag.co.uk/2016/04/hate-mike-ashley-hate-will-always-newcastle-united/

And in this list, #s 4,5,6 are identical to issues we have now
    http://worldsoccertalk.com/2009/10/12/7-reasons-why-newcastle-united-fans-dislike-mike-ashley/

No thanks.

Over reaction post of the year. One of the most hated owners in world football ? Really ?
    How is he on a par with the Oystons, Roland or the people who have been at Orient, Portsmouth, Hull, Cardiff, Birmingham, Hartlepool etc ?
    He’s not liked by Newcastle fans because he’s not a Geordie, pure and simple. It’s why they labelled him and his mates, The Cockney Mafia.

As for Newcastle being one of the bigger clubs, they’re really not that big. Not outside Geordieland anyway.
    Ok fair enough he's not as bad as Oyston or the Coventry owners but he's not been great.

Employed his mate Llambias as chairman.
    Sacking Allardyce too soon.
    Sacking Hughton too soon.
    Employing Joe Kinnear as Director of Football who famously approached a club to sign a player...........who was on loan from Newcastle!!
    Renaming St James' Park to Wonga and then Sports Direct.
    Giving Pardew a 6 year (or whatever it was) contract.
    Giving John Carver the managers job.

To say he's not liked simply because he's not a geordie isn't true. If you're not a geordie and you do well then they'll take to you (Asprilla, Ketsbaia, Phillip Albert as good examples) but Ashley has made a lot of bad decisions there.

And i don't see how you can say that a club who get 52k every week and averaged over 50k in the championship are not a big club.
    None of that equates to him being one of “the most hated owners in World football”. Outsiders don’t look at Newcastle and think, “that poor football club, potless and dropped down all those divisions”.

Is a football club judged to be big, based solely on attendances then ? They are a one city club. They should be getting 50k plus as a minimum.
    Even that’s not always been the case, as in the early 80s they frequently had gates of 15,000.

What have they won over the years ?
  • Didn’t Ashley once get caught slagging off the Geordies?

Roland Out
  • If you had a choice of Ashley or open the box (for those who remember Hughie Green!), what would you do?

I would stick.
  • Slightly sceptical about this, mainly because I don't see why Ashley would want to invest in a 3rd tier club, especially as he's not from SE London, but rather from Bucks.

• I would much rather a Brit experienced in football like Ashley that understands football culture in this country and fans' mentality rather than some corporate like red bull or some minted oversees business tycoon who is clueless about football and presumes Floyd Road and Harvey Gardens are wrestlers or something.

Of course if Man City's owners got bored and decided they wanted to give us a go that would be preferable but think the English game has seen enough chancers, egotists and experiments and a minted owner who knows the landscape wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing especially after the past few years.
  • Sponsored links:

• PS what is the source of the Ashley involvement speculation?
  • Slightly sceptical about this, mainly because I don't see why Ashley would want to invest in a 3rd tier club, especially as he's not from SE London, but rather from Bucks.

That criteria fits pretty much every owner we have had in recent years and certainly the vast majority of those speculated as being potential new owners.

Even Murray was a Wolves fan wasn't he? (or not sure if I imagined that)
  • Would that mean CAFC shirts on sports direct?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Would that mean CAFC shirts on sports direct?

Yes and pushed at lilywhites which has a global customer base even though esssentially a sports direct now
  • edited January 2018
    Redrobo said:

If you had a choice of Ashley or open the box (for those who remember Hughie Green!), what would you do?

I would stick.

Michael Miles was the host of 'Take your Pick' where the phrase 'open the box' was used.

That criteria fits pretty much every owner we have had in recent years and certainly the vast majority of those speculated as being potential new owners.

Murray had been watching us at Selhurst

The thing about Ashley is that he's already had the whole "owning an English club thing", and knows the hassle that it can be. Why go through it again, but in the 3rd division?
  • Sponsored links:

Murray had been watching us at Selhurst

The thing about Ashley is that he's already had the whole "owning an English club thing", and knows the hassle that it can be. Why go through it again, but in the 3rd division?
    His wealth would mean that we wouldn't have to stay in 3rd division for long. Sounds like bollocks re the source but hope not
  • Mike Ashley would loan the club enough money to get us into the Premiership and then he'd take his money back, plus interest.

That'll do me!
  • Redhenry said:

Sorry, I thought the bid I heard about had walked away, it turns out that they are still in. Although they were very close to walking away last week. Don't shoot the messenger!

Where's vol-au-vent Sue's it's happening gif?
  • Redhenry said:

Sorry, I thought the bid I heard about had walked away, it turns out that they are still in. Although they were very close to walking away last week. Don't shoot the messenger!

Will they buy by Thursday

Someone suggested that Muir and McLeish were fronting for Ashley because of the Rangers connection

Someone suggested that Muir and McLeish were fronting for Ashley because of the Rangers connection
    Doesn’t ashley want to buy rangers and sell Newcastle, since he can’t own both?

I don’t think ashley’s involved and was a rumour made up by a certain c on the other forum that seems to have Chinese whispers
  • edited January 2018
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!