Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Robinson out?

Comments

• Robinson has been well and truly shafted by Roland and some might say it’s his own fault.

I don’t subscribe to that view. I think Robinson has generally been a breath of fresh air and had he been given the tools that he was no doubt promised by Meire and Murray when recruited then I think we would still be in that top group. He wasn’t and we aren’t. He’s been as honest and open as any football manager can be with the fans and I really hope he lets rip once RD is gone.

Yes I have concerns over a lack of plan B but on the whole his fully fit first eleven have shown that plan A works enough for top six.

I’ll be gutted if the support doesn’t get behind him once the takeover as hoped for next week takes place. Think he deserves a shot at the support he should have for from Duchatelet.

Oh dear, Plan B cliche is back.
    Oh dear. And so are you.

• i dont think he is average i think he is shit ! his ramblings over the last couple of days is just the usual self PR preservation that is part of todays Managers DNA i wont knock him for that ---- but i dont think he deserves the elbow.We are a basket case of a club nothing to do with him.

• edited January 2018
    I am back and forth on KR. We are 6th with a decimated squad and achieving this in the midst of an RD regime and a takeover is fairly impressive and when I think about that I kind of want him to stay. But then when he opens his mouth, I really get tired of him fast. I wish he would just keep his nose to the grindstone and focus on the job at hand. The less he talks the more of a chance I want to give him.
  • clb74 said:

Get rid.
    Don't trust Karl
    If we had a few more points in the bag he would be saying fuck all about the owner

But everyone on here knows what a WUM you are so why should we care what you say?
  • Sponsored links:

• Gutting wish I’d gone now, could have got a place on the bench.
  • Changing manager now does us no good while we could still sneak a play off place.

Everything needs to be reassessed in the summer and that includes Robinson.
  • Robinson has been well and truly shafted by Roland and some might say it’s his own fault.

I don’t subscribe to that view. I think Robinson has generally been a breath of fresh air and had he been given the tools that he was no doubt promised by Meire and Murray when recruited then I think we would still be in that top group. He wasn’t and we aren’t. He’s been as honest and open as any football manager can be with the fans and I really hope he lets rip once RD is gone.

Yes I have concerns over a lack of plan B but on the whole his fully fit first eleven have shown that plan A works enough for top six.

I’ll be gutted if the support doesn’t get behind him once the takeover as hoped for next week takes place. Think he deserves a shot at the support he should have for from Duchatelet.

Lol it's not a cliche it's a legitimate concern.

World War 3 will be upon us before Robinson starts a game without a 4-2-3-1 formation.
  • If he does stay he's got to sort it out. We were dreadful in the first half yesterday and struggled to create anything with Bury putting us under a lot of pressure.
  • Give him until the summer and reassess,
  • Give him until the summer and reassess,

Agree with this. Unless the new owner already has someone in mind ready to step in immediately then i'd give KR to the end of the season.

Lol it's not a cliche it's a legitimate concern.

World War 3 will be upon us before Robinson starts a game without a 4-2-3-1 formation.
    Played three at the back v Oxford. First time he’d done that which is a concern. We seen glimpses of 442 as well. Personally I’d like to see more. I’d also like to see a better squad and free beer in my local pub.
  • He was probably testing the formation against Oxford which to me is sound management.

New boards invariably sack existing managers, so I would not be surprised if Robinson is out of the window after the takeover, he must realise this.

However, unless the wheels fall off I would keep him all the whilst we can still reach the play-offs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not bothered either way if he stays or goes.

Right now, despite his tactical rigidness and some terrible recent performances such as Gillingham and Pompey, I'm leaning towards give him to the end of the season.

With a little money, injured players back and stability in the board room ( none of which are yet guaranteed) a play - off place remains the MINIMUM requirement for this season.

Just win games.
  • Surely reviewing his position in the summer makes sense, depending on what may or may not change.
  • edited January 2018
    Really not the blokes biggest fan and I fear he would be always tarnished as being a part of the regime.

A new owner would have two main priorities in my eyes .
    They would be 1) looking to get someone in who could bring the fans back onside and 2) have knowledge of getting out of this league at the first oppurtunity.

Know anyone?
  • How about Robinson !!
  • MrLargo said:

JamesSeed said:

MrLargo said:

I think Robinson has generally been a breath of fresh air and had he been given the tools that he was no doubt promised by Meire and Murray when recruited then I think we would still be in that top group.

But only a total fool would have fallen for those promises. Surely he must have done ten minutes of due diligence before he signed up and figured out that a club that gets through 6 managers in two years probably isn't the best employer to work for. Chris Wilder was astute enough to figure it out. And let's not forget, Robinson himself described us as a basket case just a few months before he signed up - he knew EXACTLY what he was signing up for and if he doesn't like it then that really is his tough luck - 2 minutes on the phone to any one from Powell, Riga, Peeters, Luzon or Slade would have been sufficient for even the thickest bloke to figure out that working for Roland is a bad idea.

Think he deserves a shot at the support he should have for from Duchatelet.

What has he done to "deserve a shot"? Let's excuse last season on the basis that you can argue it wasn't his team. We started this season with no complaints from Robinson about the transfer activity over the summer, his team and he was happy with it. No injury-crisis excuses for woeful performances giving Gillingham and Plymouth their first wins of the season and failing to beat Bury at home. I look through our results this season - two excellent wins at Rotherham and Bradford, other than that there's nothing that suggests "promotion contender" when you compare it to the results we picked up in this league last time we got promoted.

I am bewildered at what people see in this bloke, and even more bemused that some people think he's the best we can do post-takeover. I can only presume that what I see as a lack of class and a constant stream of bullshit is what other people see as "passion" and "wearing his heart on his sleeve".
    Sorry, your arguments don't really hold water.
    When he joined he asked for freedom from interference. So did Chris Wilder. Astute enough to recognise he wasn't going to get it so went and promoted Sheffield United instead. He also demanded an end to the network system. That sets him apart from the managers who came before him. He was never going to get a proper budget. But hey, you can't have everything.

We stopped signing Network players under Russell Slade, so before Robinson arrived. The network system hasn't ended though - we have a squad that is utterly, utterly desperate for someone who can score goals, and our best striker is currently on loan at a network club, with no prospect of recalling him.

He took over a crap team heading for extinction, and turned it round last season (to some extent at least) and in he summer only had a tiny budget to splash around. And he got us winning games (and playing better football which is probably less important).

He took over a team in 11th and, with over half the season left, steered us to 13th. That's some turnaround, "from bad to worse" is what most of us call it. We had a flurry in the last 5 games of the season, although 3 of those fixtures were against sides that were relegated to League 2. For me, that wasn't sufficient to paper over the cracks from appalling defeats against Oldham, Oxford, Bury, Shrewsbury, Northampton, Peterborough and MK Dons.

I doubt he was hugely thrilled about the summer window. I don't know if he was and nether do you. But do you think he's going to stand up and say 'my summer was a disaster, I hate the owner'. No of course he isn't. Naive to think he might.

Well that's the point isn't it? He's spent the last week telling anyone who'll listen that "my January transfer window is a disaster, I hate the owner". Agreed, we can only guess as to whether he was happy with the summer transfer window, but if you sign up to work for someone who is well known for repeatedly failing to provide sufficient financial support to put together a competitive squad, and for generally creating an environment where it's impossible to be successful, then I really don't think you're in any position to complain when your boss predictably fails to provide sufficient financial support to put together a competitive squad, and creates an environment where it's impossible to be successful.

'But only a total fool would have fallen for those promises.' Really? Hmm.

To say it was 'his team and he was happy with it' is also open to debate.

Fosu, Clarke, JFK Reeves and Marshall were, I think, his 'signings'. The rest of the squad weren't 'his' players. Do you know who he might have signed had he been given a proper budget? But he, like most managers, he likes to improve morale by bigging up his players, whether they're his signings or not. So not really 'his team'.

He may or may not have been happy with the team, you or I can't possibly know. But on quite a few occasions he said the squad needed strengthening. He said it again at the Bromley Addicks meeting. You can blame him for not strengthening the team further in the summer, but personally I blame the owner.

See previous comment. The root problem of everything that's wrong with our club is the owner - he's an absolute disaster, and some of the damage he's done will take years, maybe even decades to repair. I know that, you know that, everyone in English football knows it and, thanks to the superb work of CARD and others, there's plenty of people in Belgium, Sweden and Italy who know about it thanks to the coverage our protests received. Despite all of that, Robinson still happily signed up. If you stick your hand in the fire, you've only got yourself to blame when it comes out burnt.

I don't think he's the best manager in the world, but some of the nonsense spouted here is unfair, and a bit sad if I'm honest.

That's a 'Keep for now' by the way.
    As an aside, when Roland arrived he quickly sold our 2 best players, brought in a variety of clowns and incompetents and told Chris Powell what team to pick and what formation to play. Whilst there were rumours, we never heard about most of it at the time, because Chris Powell managed the situation with class and dignity. That's the kind of manager I back, not one who tries to score a few brownie points with the fans by moaning to supporters in the car park.

So I'd say your arguments don't really hold water. Each to their own.
    Love SCP of course. Sat next to him at dinner once, while he was still a player. Happy days.

I know all about what Duchatelet did cheers. SCP may have wanted to tell us what happened, but imagine a NDA may have been reason why he couldn't do so.
    I'm sure we'd have liked to have heard what really went on behind the scenes. It was a bit like when they sacked Jimmy Seed; he was told to pretend he resigned for health reasons, to keep the fans on the side of the club owners.
    He told the true story in his book a year later.
  • edited January 2018

He was probably testing the formation against Oxford which to me is sound management.

Didn't he say, he had only 1 central defender fit ?