Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hartlepool United in Trouble

Comments

• Aldershot, Maidstone, Bradford Park Avenue, Newport County, Workington. All went to the wall before the riches of the modern game. It's not a zero sum game. Hartlepool's issues may be an insignificant amount in the context of premier league wages, but the two aren't logically linked. I don't particularly like what the modern game is but it's lazy to blame the woes of the lower leagues on the top level.

It’s wrong that with all the untold millions sloshing around the game, a famous old club like this face closure over £200k.

Famous........for having the most re-elections to the football league, alongside Halifax and Rochdale.
    What does being re-elected have to do with it?
    They are hardly famous, and have had countless relections to the football league.

It was a widely held opinion that relections were a bit dodgy and was at the expense of non-league sides being admitted to division 4.

I have nothing against Hartlepool, it is a decent away trip even though the town is a hovel.
  • The 200 k will just patch things for now unfortunately smaller clubs are going to struggle the support isn’t there, bury last season lovely August day nice sunshine the best day for football and a few jars with mates think there was 3500 there and we had a decent following that day.
  • edited January 2018

I believe they should do what the NFL does and equally distribute all TV money. That would make a massive difference to clubs outside the top 6. If on top of that they simply set a rule that wages cannot exceed 66% of all turnover, and then include all transfer fees as turnover in the year of the transfer, it would change a lot of things for the better. In my opinion.

TV money in the Premier League is already equally distributed amongst all the clubs.

I don't think that's true. I believe "international" TV money is evenly distributed but the giant £5.5B contract with Sky and BT are handed out based on final table position and that is the biggest part of the pie. These are called "merit payments." This creates very big differences in overall TV income among clubs. This article describes how it works...

• Having read what Hartlepool fans trust is saying then its a case of owners woefully running a footbal club again. Lack of transparency and not having a business plan looks to be the main cause.
    Rightly they are reluctant to give money to the present owners and need reassurance the money will be spent in the right areas.
  • I believe they should do what the NFL does and equally distribute all TV money. That would make a massive difference to clubs outside the top 6. If on top of that they simply set a rule that wages cannot exceed 66% of all turnover, and then include all transfer fees as turnover in the year of the transfer, it would change a lot of things for the better. In my opinion.

TV money in the Premier League is already equally distributed amongst all the clubs.

I don't think that's true. I believe "international" TV money is evenly distributed but the giant £5.5B contract with Sky and BT are handed out based on final table position and that is the biggest part of the pie. These are called "merit payments." This creates very big differences in overall TV income among clubs. This article describes how it works...

Of course. It's just half the Sky money that's equal and the rest is effectively prize money. Still a big lump of cash though, yet still dwarfed by some clubs' wage bills. It's the International money that the greedy big clubs are unhappy with as here in Thailand, for example, as although all games are shown live, nobody's interested in Stoke v West Brom or Brighton v Palace yet Liverpool v Man Utd is a big draw among the locals, mainly due to illegal betting.
  • I posted this on the other Hartlepool thread yesterday evening.
    A Hartlepool fan has set up a 'justgiving' site to raise £200.000 by the 25th Jan, to help the club avoid adminstration.
    Despite the club having nearly 3 thousand season ticket holders the owners claim they need to find this money to pay this month's wages,bills,etc.
    The club was put up for sale last month,but need new owners quickly as the present owners seem likely cease funding the club in the near future.Looking on the 'justgiving site £19.000 has already been raised within 48 hours, with a lot of donations from fans of other clubs,including a few Charlton fans.
    Below is a link to the 'justgiving' site.
    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/savehartlepoolunitedfootballclub

Hartlepool has always been my 2nd club,i have followed there 'fortunes' closely since spending holidays there with family friends,in the early '70s.
    The blame of this financial crisis lies with the previous owners who took over a debt free club & within 18 months left over a million pound debt.
    More details are on the club website https://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/
    & a statement from the supporters trust is here https://www.hufcsupporterstrust.org.uk/news-article/trust-statement-11-january-2018/63
  • Support for lower league football will evaporate given how much the Premier league is hyped up. Footballers are celebrities, clubs are sold as brands and the history of the game doesn't matter a jot.

Like many others I'm losing interest in the game due to the way It's going. The game has completely lost its soul....
  • Sponsored links:

• were only going to see many more hartlepools unfortunately, even my little cousins hes 12 asks yeah but who's your real team to me, hes a millwall st holder with his grandad but like a lot of young lads supports that local team man u.
  • Good afternoon. I actually think support for lower and non league is growing. Speaking for my club, I know many die hard fans who have turned to non league - AFC Fylde, Cirencester, Hampton & Richmond, Maidstone as examples and many of these may not go back. Greed in football has been around for ages and it's been putting people off for ages. The Pogba / Poolies analogy above sums it up. Roland / Oyston Out .
  • edited January 2018

I believe they should do what the NFL does and equally distribute all TV money. That would make a massive difference to clubs outside the top 6. If on top of that they simply set a rule that wages cannot exceed 66% of all turnover, and then include all transfer fees as turnover in the year of the transfer, it would change a lot of things for the better. In my opinion.

That’s a bit easier though with 32 franchise teams with no promotion or relegation, compared to 91 proper teams + 1 franchise team with several up n down leagues. And then several non leagues below them.
  • DRAddick said:

That’s a bit easier though with 32 franchise teams with no promotion or relegation, compared to 91 proper teams + 1 franchise team with several up n down leagues. And then several non leagues below them.
    And with over a 100 years of history and community behind most teams
  • Carter said:

Aldershot, Maidstone, Bradford Park Avenue, Newport County, Workington. All went to the wall before the riches of the modern game. It's not a zero sum game. Hartlepool's issues may be an insignificant amount in the context of premier league wages, but the two aren't logically linked. I don't particularly like what the modern game is but it's lazy to blame the woes of the lower leagues on the top level.

It isn't lazy though, football and the money that has found it's way into it has decimated football at the lower end. I'm.not saying clubs should be allowed to have an indefinite safety net provided to them but as an example

Not that long ago, your stereotypical small club getting 5000 through the door would be reliant on unearthing a decent kid, that kid would play x amount of games for them and start to stand out and attract interest from clubs at a higher level. They'd eventually sell the kid and the money generated would probably ensure everyone employed by the club would get paid for the next 18 months. Look what happens now, any kid who shows the slightest glimpse of promise is gathered up by the trawler nets of the top end clubs so nobdy else can have them and will be on the scrapheap by 21. What the FA have done with academies hasn't helped this however the miniscule amount clubs get for having a youngster poached is not helping. I could go on but you get what I'm saying and where I'm going

How many of the England players who have won 2 world cups and a European championship at youth level are playing senior football?
    Apologies - lazy probably wasn't the right word. I think there are two different points here. I agree that the Premier League has become a nonsense and your last point re youth opportunities is spot on, but my post was about linking the demise of smaller clubs to the disparity of wealth in the game - the demise of lower league clubs has always been a threat / issue, and I don't see the current disparity in riches as the reason - the "have's" have a lot more than they did - the "have not's" still have bugger all.

I don't know if the premier league trawler net is financially damaging to smaller clubs - that would need analysis, though I do agree that it doesn't appear to do much for the careers of many that are trawled.
  • Paul Pogba gets paid £200k every 4 days which would save Hartlepool United. That's how shit football has become.

Look at how many players have signed up to Juan Mata's scheme to give 1% of their earnings to charitable causes. It's a pitifully short list that includes none of his Man Utd team-mates. I doubt any of them would notice 1% less, but the idea of giving anything away anathema to them.
  • DiscoCAFC said:

I'm sure some of you have heard Hartlepool are potentially going into administration.

Obviously it's sad to see any fans feel grieved when their club is in trouble but I thought it's worth starting a new thread considering their fans brought that extra nice memory to the day we lifted the League One trophy.

text

They have to raise £200,000 to survive this month and their is a crowdfunding to help them.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/savehartlepoolunitedfootballclub

• Sponsored links:

• Uboat said:

Paul Pogba gets paid £200k every 4 days which would save Hartlepool United. That's how shit football has become.

Look at how many players have signed up to Juan Mata's scheme to give 1% of their earnings to charitable causes. It's a pitifully short list that includes none of his Man Utd team-mates. I doubt any of them would notice 1% less, but the idea of giving anything away anathema to them.
    I never realised how poor the response to this in England has been.

Two English players have signed up for it - Alfie Mawson and Charlie Daniels. What a piss poor response from the overpaid prima donnas of the Premier League.

Only £28k raised so far for Hartlepool.
  • All these clubs struggling and that wanker Greg Dyke thinks putting B teams into the league is good idea.....
  • Arnt people forgetting that with every demise of the smaller clubs the playing pool for the bigger clubs also shrinks. Yes I acknowledge a lot of foreign players are in our game, but the bigger clubs seldom produce their own players these days apart from the odd one or two. This later on, will effect our national side.
  • Good afternoon. I actually think support for lower and non league is growing. Speaking for my club, I know many die hard fans who have turned to non league - AFC Fylde, Cirencester, Hampton & Richmond, Maidstone as examples and many of these may not go back. Greed in football has been around for ages and it's been putting people off for ages. The Pogba / Poolies analogy above sums it up. Roland / Oyston Out .

Couldn't agree more.
    How many on here that are upset with the way footballs going have Sky/BT Sports?
  • Caught the end of an announcement on sky sports earlier regarding a bucket collection for Hartlepool at the Gillingham match today.
  • After today's thrashing, there is talk among Sunderland supporters of going en masse to the next home Hartlepool match instead of the Black Cats.
  • Caught the end of an announcement on sky sports earlier regarding a bucket collection for Hartlepool at the Gillingham match today.

Was also a bucket collection at ebbsfleet. Proper fans.
  • It is very sad for the fans of these clubs when they fall into trouble but the reality is that they have spent £200k more than they had. Any other business would be expected to pay it’s debts or go to the wall - not to mention what would happen if I spent £200k of someone else’s money and then said I couldn’t pay it back.

The £200k might be owed to players or Agents but it is more likely that it is owed to HMRC or local businesses that can’t afford to give money away. We need to remember that HMRC collect the money that is used to fund schools and the NHS.

As much as I have a soft spot for Hartlepool sooner or later a club will have to go to the wall as most of them are living outside of their means and they go into Administration and agree to pay a fraction of their debts and then go and do it all again.

Also the numbers in the Premier League are irrelevant as I suspect that most of the players at Hartlepool are earning more than their peers at the same age. They are unlikely to all be on minimum wage. If clubs like Hartlepool are going to be run properly their players need to earn less - it’s not up to players at other clubs to subsidise the lower league players wages.

I hope they survive but I can’t see how clubs can keep overspending and maybe they will be the first club to disappear, but I suspect that even Administration will not see the club die - it never does.