Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Robinson talking to fans again (pre-Bury)

Karl Robinson has been talking to fans again. Has suggested the club may be sold next week. Via Glynne’s mailing list - reliable longstanding poster.

“A friend just bumped into Karl near the teams Bury hotel. 12 fit players today and JFC/Solly will be on the bench to make it look good - with no chance of coming on.

“Ricky has been sold from under Karl's feet as a debt management exercise, which the potential new owners are aware of ahead of the sale hopefully going through next week. That aligns to the 18th January rumour.

“PS Karl also said that Roland is a bastard! Tell us something we don't know.”

Comments

• Well.... good news and bad, eh

Hoping for 3 points, a takeover and some reinforcements in by end of Jan.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

So if this is being done as a "debt manaegment" exercise, you have to wonder if the new owners are backing it. It should be worth wondering if their first objective will be to bring operating costs down and narrow the deficit gap.

If so, things might get worse.

I don’t see anyone coming in and risking relegation to L2. At worst the immediate objective would be to stabilise the situation, make a credible season ticket offer for next season and install competent management (of the business).

If you came in an weakened the squad (see also 2014) significantly. you’d lose the fans very quickly and handicap yourself going forward.
    But it's what Muir does. I can't see why else he'd be involved if it wasn't to ensure we dont spend more than we receive.

I've got a feeling the billionaires aren't coming to Charlton once again.
  • I hope what Karl has been told is true, as like everyone else just desperate for all of this to be done.

If this is true then I am assuming the Holmes sale is not the only sale that has been agreed to be done to go in Roland's wallet.

As I can't imagine Sheffield United are willing to pay more then something around the 500k to 700k mark for a 31 year old who has never played in the second tier.

That does not seem a lot of money to make the difference between a sale being off or on.

• Just can't see the successful buyers splashing the cash in an outside chance of gaining promotion, knowing full well that if by some miracle we did get up, they would have to spend another fortune to stay up. All I see is several (if not more) seasons of mediocrity. Hope I'm proved wrong but I won't hold my breath.
  • cblock said:

Mates grandson is at the Bury game, he witnessed that conversation with Robinson
    as the team came off the coach. Confirmed all that had been said.

Let us pray.
  • I am heartened by the fact, if it ultimately is him, that this fella had a season ticket In the good days.
    He'll know what we're all about,won't he?
  • Sponsored links:

• No perspective owner would takeover a business or worse a FC without proper DD and a sound business plan. Roland aside, because he had a communist view, they will have money otherwise why bother. The good thing will be fresh ideas and they certainly will have a pot for the playing staff as well as covering the costs. They will also be aware of the current plight and the transfer window so its a deadline for everyone. Roland knows that to, so its his chance to get out before the protest start again so he needs it to happen as much as the buyers
  • SDAddick said:

So if this is being done as a "debt manaegment" exercise, you have to wonder if the new owners are backing it. It should be worth wondering if their first objective will be to bring operating costs down and narrow the deficit gap.

I don’t see anyone coming in and risking relegation to L2. At worst the immediate objective would be to stabilise the situation, make a credible season ticket offer for next season and install competent management (of the business).

If you came in and weakened the squad (see also 2014) significantly, you’d lose the fans very quickly and handicap yourself going forward.
    So why sell Holmes as ‘debt management’ ? If that’s their idea then it ain’t going to get the fans onside. It also sounds like they’re coming in to run a tight ship not throw money around and get us out of this league.
  • Holmes doesn't want to play for us anymore and I don't blame him! So let him go.
  • edited January 2018
    The 'debt management' argument makes no sense. If a new owner comes in, surely they would wish to take tgese decisions themselves. Why would RD or Richard Murray do this now when the whole club structure could alter in ten days time? Could be KR has been fed a line here. His bizarre ctiticism of RD after having previously backed him in spite of everything is just weird. Sorry but these car park conversations all sound a bit wish fulfillment -' I wish I'd said that' type thing. And what possible reason is there to put injured players on the bench? Are our U23 players so useless?
  • Feel like if it doesn’t happen this coming week Karl will walk. Fair play to him for sticking around. Hope he doesn’t get sacked straight away.

He will not walk out on a well paid contract and lose a wedge. Rightly so.

• SDAddick said:

If you came in an weakened the squad (see also 2014) significantly. you’d lose the fans very quickly and handicap yourself going forward.
    But it's what Muir does. I can't see why else he'd be involved if it wasn't to ensure we dont spend more than we receive.

I've got a feeling the billionaires aren't coming to Charlton once again.
    What Muir does is organise the business more efficiently. That works differently in different situations.

For example, you might look at Naby Sarr and decide he is not value for money, depending on his wages, but generally weakening the squad will also reduce revenue.

The issue at Charlton under RD has been abysmal leadership and management, as Grapevine argued yesterday. A huge amount of revenue has gone missing, which you can get back with proper management, but you cannot cut your way to breakeven because there is no equilibrium position to be had.

Absolutely no point in running the club down because the losses will only continue. No one would buy the club to do that. Even RD didn’t foresee that would be the outcome, and he spent money - just very badly.
    Father in law does a similar role, financial & management consultant.
    Used to go into failing NHS trusts mainly, look for cost savings, eliminate waste and restructure the whole business, that included hiring & firing.
    Was hated by the staff on the ground, but highly rated and recompensed by the banks/bosses.
  • Perhaps the "debt management" just means that RD is not going to put any more money into the club. RH going provides the funds for the next month, and if a sale is not completed before the end of January, then Konsa goes to fund the rest of the season.
  • If someone offers significantly above current book value for an asset that is projected to be worth zero in 12 months time I can understand, in pure business terms, why prospective buyers who have performed DD would give permission for that asset to be sold. I assume if this sale does not go through further loans will ne needed to pay upcoming bills.
  • edited January 2018
    barstool said:

No perspective owner would takeover a business or worse a FC without proper DD and a sound business plan. Roland aside, because he had a communist view, they will have money otherwise why bother. The good thing will be fresh ideas and they certainly will have a pot for the playing staff as well as covering the costs. They will also be aware of the current plight and the transfer window so its a deadline for everyone. Roland knows that to, so its his chance to get out before the protest start again so he needs it to happen as much as the buyers

Without proper Due Diligence !

Lloyds Bank bought HBOS without proper DD. This nearly ruined them and ultimately cost them over £20 Billion. A tad more than this deal will hinge on.

Sounds to me like we will be one of the most well managed clubs financially in leauge 2. Can't wait.