Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

holidays 2018 ideas

Comments

• We did Center Parcs last weekend and are going again in May.

Couple of nights in Arras for a classic car show in March
    Paris for a few days at Easter
    Majorca for 2 weeks in August
    Goodwood Revival in September

We're also going away on the first bank holiday in May for my 50th. Not sure where yet, my missus is sorting it out. I had planned to stay in Manchester after the Rochdale game with mates but it's the only weekend we can get away as a family near my Birthday for 2 nights and days. Don't think I'm Mr popular with my mates at the moment.

Wank3r.
    I know mate, feel bad but L’s taking me away and it’s the only weekend we can do.
    That’s more important. I’ve literally just reserved a hotel room (not for you L and me I should add!! - getting a bit bored of that now tbh) for Rochdale.
  • clb74 said:

Probably do a cruise next year 2 hour drive to Southampton and the holiday begins.

that's why I like them. easy drive, get out of car, hand keys over, they take bags, half hour later you are on board hitting the drinks menu.

• decided on mexico, riviera maya area @ValleyGary has given me a blinding recomendation anyone else been here, just they all look class.

Gran Bahia Principe. Very good value in my opinion and huge complex.
    Grand Palladium. 4 hotels on one complex. Lots of variety and great value
  • cafcpolo said:

decided on mexico, riviera maya area @ValleyGary has given me a blinding recomendation anyone else been here, just they all look class.

I'm off to Excellence Playa Murjeres which isn't too far away mid March. Not cheap, but been saving and first proper holiday for about 8years. Was very highly recommended to me. Can't wait!
    I think it was the Playa Majueres outside Cancun we went to for our honeymoon. Amazing hotel. Could not find a single fault but then I did spend what felt like months researching places.
  • 8 days in Sri Lanka from the 14th February and then pushing on to the Maldives for 7 days on the beach. We are out there for our anniversary and have booked dinner in here................................https://www.hurawalhi.com/dining/undersea-restaurant/
  • Two weeks in UK in Feb to see the family, week in Vietnam in April, couple of weeks touring Japan in July and then Oct/Nov to Sri Lanka for the cricket, next Christmas could be either NZ or Oz, up to the Mrs after my solo Sri Lanka trip.
  • Dump the all inclusive, get out and explore in South Africa.

That time of year it is great and if you go to Cape Town and up the Garden Route you can:
    - go wine tasting in Stellenbosch,
    - see history, grab the cable car up Table Mountian and eat well in Cape Town,
    - get up close to penguins at Boulders beach,
    - grab some sun and sand at Plettenberg Bay
    - Grab sun, sand, canoe, stay in tree houses at knysna
    - dive with Great Whites,
    - mountain bike, ride an ostrich, go caving in Oodtshorn,
    - go tubing Storms River,
    - swim up and sit under a waterfall at the Wilderness,
    - go to the stunning beach that is Nature’s Valley,
    - watch families of whales from the shore,
    - climb huge sand dunes whilst watching Zebras and various species of deer at De Hoop National Park
    - See otters on the beach

and much much more.

Plus the exchange rate is massively in our favour at the moment, the wine is great and the flight is very easy as there is no time difference and if you fly over night you literally miss out in no time and (assuming you can sleep), arrive refreshed and raring to go.

If anyone is in any doubt, this is absolutely spot on.

Spent the last 2.5 weeks in SA and it is the most beautiful place. We’ve been up and down the garden route now and it is just stunning. Currently in Wilderness and heading towards Plettenburg Bay and St Francis Bay before going on Safari.

Will report back in full later.

(PS) by chance, @Athletico Charlton we ended up at Boschendal for dinner 2 nights ago with our friend’s best mate from school who is the master winemaker at Wellington Wines.

Jesus, the view was ridiculous...

• edited January 2018

Anyone been to Norway before?

Trying to book a fly-drive to the fjords but it seems a bit like travel agents know that people don't really know where to start planning it so charge extortionate prices for them to do it for you.

I know Norway is supposed to be a bit expensive but we were quoted £2795 per person for 10 nights in average hotels ffs

Accommodation in Norway was the one thing I didn't find ridiculous but I booked everything through AirBnB.

Take a lot of spending money, the prices of consumer goods are crazy out there for us
  • edited January 2018
    Kalkan in Turkey. I go every May and September. It's lovely weather right up to end of October. I have a lot of friends out there so it's good to see them. I have a few links to villa rentals if anyone wants them
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

Dump the all inclusive, get out and explore in South Africa.

That time of year it is great and if you go to Cape Town and up the Garden Route you can:
    - climb huge sand dunes whilst watching Zebras and various species of deer at De Hoop National Park

and much much more.

Plus the exchange rate is massively in our favour at the moment, the wine is great and the flight is very easy as there is no time difference and if you fly over night you literally miss out in no time and (assuming you can sleep), arrive refreshed and raring to go.

If anyone is in any doubt, this is absolutely spot on.

Spent the last 2.5 weeks in SA and it is the most beautiful place. We’ve been up and down the garden route now and it is just stunning. Currently in Wilderness and heading towards Plettenburg Bay and St Francis Bay before going on Safari.

Will report back in full later.

(PS) by chance, @Athletico Charlton we ended up at Boschendal for dinner 2 nights ago with our friend’s best mate from school who is the master winemaker at Wellington Wines.

Jesus, the view was ridiculous...

Nice one johnboyUK, we did the garden route a few years ago followed by a safari and had a great time. Enjoy the rest of your stay.
  • South Africa was still my favourite holiday. Did the garden route as far as Knysna then doubled back inland through the little Karoo. Loved the place. Didn't have long enough and would go back in a heartbeat. Incredible scenery, great food and wine and was cheap to boot.
  • Anyone been to Norway before?

Trying to book a fly-drive to the fjords but it seems a bit like travel agents know that people don't really know where to start planning it so charge extortionate prices for them to do it for you.

I know Norway is supposed to be a bit expensive but we were quoted £2795 per person for 10 nights in average hotels ffs

Been to Tromso to see the Northern Lights, great place with amazing scenery but yeah it is expensive!
  • Anyone been to Norway before?

You live up North, can’t you just drive up to Scotland? It’s a lot cheaper and closer.
    Done you there dicky:)
  • Trying South Africa for the first time with the wife in March. We will be playing some golf and also celebrating 45 years while on a game reserve in Bakubung. Would also recommend The Azores for anyone looking for somewhere different as we go there every year. We tend to do a family trip to Center Parcs once a year and would also suggest a website called sleeps12.com for those looking for a purpose-made holiday home with an indoor pool in the UK.
  • Lake Iseo - Italy.

Beautiful and inexpensive.
  • Fly to America (dirt cheap these days) and drive a Mustang around California
  • Any recommendations on Greek islands and best resorts/beaches would be really appreciated.

Have done Skiathos for the last 3 years and love it, but fancy a change now.

Not really looking for AI (would consider it though) but after somewhere with a resort that has nice tavernas, bars and beaches but not too much of a party place. Any decent accommodation recommendations also appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dump the all inclusive, get out and explore in South Africa.

and much much more.

I'm hoping to do exactly this in late 2018, and starting to look at options now. Can't work out if it's best to book through a travel agent and follow an itinerary, or just hire a car and book our own stuff. Any advice welcome!
    We booked hotels and travel through trailfnders who were great. Stayed at Blackheath Lodge a small boutique hotel in Cape Town and went to Gomo Gomo safari lodge in Kruger. Fabulous holiday.
  • Can't believe no ones mentioned Benidorm??
  • I was just wondering whether touring a country is classed as a holiday? I’m heading to Northern India in April; Amritsar, Sikkim, Chandigarh, Agra, Jaipur and Delhi. It’s quite a heavy schedule in 2 weeks but although enjoyable and interesting, and certainly not boring I always feel I need a holiday after doing such tours.
  • Phu Quoc (Vietnamese Island) end of this month for some much needed sunshine and warmth for the bones!! Krakow booked in April.......
  • Krakow is fantastic.
  • Krakow is fantastic.

Agreed, fantastic place.
  • Krakow is fantastic.

Agreed, fantastic place.
    Thirded.
  • Budapest long weekend in May to celebrate Dad’s 60th and Brother’s 30th this year.

Stuttgart weekend in Oct for Oktoberfest for mates 30th.

Possible jaunt to Russia if we make the semis or final (stop laughing!!)
  • edited January 2018
    Solidgone said:

Krakow is fantastic.

Agreed, fantastic place.
    Thirded.
    Fourthed.
  • Wifey turns 40 this year so we are having 2 weeks in Florida and doing a spot of house hunting while there.

Probably a week in Croatia or Montenegro in May just for some sunshine and something a bit different - for wifeys actual birthday treat