Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shares Thread for the next Gordon Gekko's

Comments

• Hi all, I've been following this thread for a while and thought it was a good place for a newbie investment question. I work for a subsidiary of a FTSE 100 company and have a modest SAYE scheme maturing this year. It sounds like the consensus here would be to reduce risk by selling the shares I end up with and putting the proceeds into some funds instead. Would that always be the best approach? The org I work for seems to be well-regarded as an investment atm, but the discussion here definitely suggests exposure to a single company is unwise regardless of how well it's doing.

Any tips from those in the know much appreciated!
  • Personally I’ve worked at two companies with share saves and sold as soon as I could, on the basis if it went wrong it could all go wrong, redundant so no salary, pension deficit and savings depleted if the share price tanked.

I just don’t like a lot of eggs in one basket so does depend what else you have. But never a bad time to take a nice profit.
  • Cheers Rob - really good point re. salary and savings both being dependent on one organisation.
  • edited January 2018
    You say modest, so I'm assuming your not paying in the £500 per month maximum. I also assume you were given a 20% discount on the market price at the time the option was granted. As you are considering taking up the option I also assume that the current Share price is higher than the price you were granted the option at. Therefore making you a profit.

It's true that all EGGS in one basket is not a good investment. However, without knowing what you deem to be modest, can I suggest that currently you only have one egg. If you take the shares and sell that incurs a cost, you pick a fund and invest that incurs a cost, which fund do you pick ?.

If we are talking under £5000 I'd stick with my shares. When your next option matures you may wish to review, as you now have eggs. Over £6000 I'd maybe sell 50% and put into fund.

Iv had Share options that matured which i have held and made fortunes. However, as. Lloyds Banking employee in 2008 I had a large number of eggs in one basket. I lost tens of thousands.

This is my opinion , and I'm no Financial advisor. But, having a diverse portfolio on very small sums, will likely eat up returns with costs.

• edited January 2018

You say modest, so I'm assuming your not paying in the £500 per month maximum. I also assume you were given a 20% discount on the market price at the time the option was granted. As you are considering taking up the option I also assume that the current Share price is higher than the price you were granted the option at. Therefore making you a profit.

It's true that all EGGS in one basket is not a good investment. However, without knowing what you deem to be modest, can I suggest that currently you only have one egg. If you take the shares and sell that incurs a cost, you pick a fund and invest that incurs a cost, which fund do you pick ?.

If we are talking under £5000 I'd stick with my shares. When your next option matures you may wish to review, as you now have eggs. Over £6000 I'd maybe sell 50% and put into fund.

Iv had Share options that matured which i have held and made fortunes. However, as. Lloyds Banking employee in 2008 I had a large number of eggs in one basket. I lost tens of thousands.

This is my opinion , and I'm no Financial advisor. But, having a diverse portfolio on very small sums, will likely eat up returns with costs.

Whereas I am. In general terms a number of funds spread across different asset classes is usually the way to go & if you use an ISA its all tax free.

But not knowing your age, attitude to risk, other savings or debts, time horizon, shoe size etc etc I couldn't really say anymore.
  • As an aside you can exercise your option , and transfer the shares into an Isa without doing a Sell/buy as long as you do this within 90 days of exercising your option. So I'd take shares and then if not already utilized, move them into a share Isa.
  • Well in 2017 I put lloyds at 62.71p price quoted above for EOY is 68.5p with a dividend total of 3.2p giving a 14.3% return. I although healthy this is disappointing on what I expected. I will hold and say Lloyds still has an upside and healthy dividend in 2018.

Eden research 11.52p down to 8.98p unfortunately revenues are still not flowing for Eden. I will hold , but not top up for 2018.

However, Fevertree is now well established, offered at £1.34p in 2014, highs of over £25 have been seen. I bought in at £8, £13, and £20. Currently £21.37.
    People are saying that this is now overdone and there has been profit taking holding the share down. I am confident that it's got farther to go. In the last year Fevertree products have become even more available in UK. An American drive is now on and new products for dark spirits appear to be selling well. This could be a takeover target, as many bigger players are failing in pushing their own product.

So my two for this year are Lloyds and Fevertree. With a hold on Eden and hope for better income streams in 2018.

Not recommending anybody put their life savings into these. I have them as part of a far more diverse portfolio, with assets spread across cash and markets.

Fevertree £28.47 today and Eden 14.91p only Lloyds my biggest holding is flagging at 65.08p.

I keep thinking Lloyds is set to take off and then another pile of poo, hits the UK banking sector. Will continue to hold and even top up, as surely this is an 80p share.
  • Ortac (now Arc Minerals) currently at 2.5p (no change)
    Sirius Minerals now at 32p (was 24.5p January).
  • Nice work with Eden & Fevertree RM, I feel your pain with Lloyds, I gave up and sold mine early in the year.
  • My high risk mining exploratory companies since Jan 10th:

- Hurricane Energy (HUR 33p) - now 44.24p - up 34%

- Bluejay Mining (Jay 22.45p) - now 24.70p - up 10%

- Great Western Mining (GWMO 1.03p) - now 1.18p. Up 14.5%

Not bad! Keeping hold of all 3 as I reckon they all have great growth potential. I like the story behind the first two and GWMO will go well or bomb in the next couple of weeks with some digging results due so I may sell if it spikes. Shame my other shares have not done as well but glad these were my CL picks as it makes me look better than I am! Lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018

Ortac (now Arc Minerals) currently at 2.5p (no change)

Seeing that the savings thread has been given an airing.
    Sirius minerals now at 34.5p
    Arc minerals ( now with some big hitters on the BoD and major shareholders) now at 4.5p
    Also jumped on Capita soon after their fall.

Sirius up 75% in 18 months, and British.
  • Please don't look at my

Well in 2017 I put lloyds at 62.71p price quoted above for EOY is 68.5p with a dividend total of 3.2p giving a 14.3% return. I although healthy this is disappointing on what I expected. I will hold and say Lloyds still has an upside and healthy dividend in 2018.

Eden research 11.52p down to 8.98p unfortunately revenues are still not flowing for Eden. I will hold , but not top up for 2018.

However, Fevertree is now well established, offered at £1.34p in 2014, highs of over £25 have been seen. I bought in at £8, £13, and £20. Currently £21.37.
    People are saying that this is now overdone and there has been profit taking holding the share down. I am confident that it's got farther to go. In the last year Fevertree products have become even more available in UK. An American drive is now on and new products for dark spirits appear to be selling well. This could be a takeover target, as many bigger players are failing in pushing their own product.

So my two for this year are Lloyds and Fevertree. With a hold on Eden and hope for better income streams in 2018.

Not recommending anybody put their life savings into these. I have them as part of a far more diverse portfolio, with assets spread across cash and markets.

Fevertree £28.47 today and Eden 14.91p only Lloyds my biggest holding is flagging at 65.08p.

I keep thinking Lloyds is set to take off and then another pile of poo, hits the UK banking sector. Will continue to hold and even top up, as surely this is an 80p share.
    I have 5k Lloyds shares at 73p
    I've been waiting patiently for 3 years for them to go up.
    PPI claims have hit them hard.
  • Ortac (now Arc Minerals) currently at 2.5p (no change)

Seeing that the savings thread has been given an airing.
    Sirius minerals now at 34.5p
    Arc minerals ( now with some big hitters on the BoD and major shareholders) now at 4.5p
    Also jumped on Capita soon after their fall.

Sirius up 75% in 18 months, and British.
    Brought ARC minerals just over a week ago, up 14.7 % since then.
  • Kept a lump at 2.5p and no plans on selling.
    Increased my holding over the past couple of months.
    Like I said, some big hitters on board.
    Lot of positive stuff coming from Sirius as well.
    Capita will also be a long term hold.
  • Well in 2017 I put lloyds at 62.71p price quoted above for EOY is 68.5p with a dividend total of 3.2p giving a 14.3% return. I although healthy this is disappointing on what I expected. I will hold and say Lloyds still has an upside and healthy dividend in 2018.

Fevertree interim results announced today. Share price £38.70p an 81.56% increase in 6 months from the £21.37 I quoted in January. Just a bloody shame Lloyds continues to massively dissappoint. Lloyds interim results1st August let's hope for good news.
    Eden 11.82p still waiting to take off but some revenue finally flowing.
  • Standard Chartered. No idea what they've done but gone from almost £15 a few yesrs ago to less than £7 now.
  • edited July 2018
    Always worth looking at pubs quarterly updates after a good summer and the World Cup.
    Wetherspoons due 14 September
    1231 today, lets see what they are come 13/09
  • Always worth looking at pubs quarterly updates after a good summer and the World Cup.
    Wetherspoons due 14 September
    1231 today, lets see what they are come 13/09

Given everyone knows it's been a hot summer and there's been a World Cup, this information should already be in the price.
  • Appreciate your thoughts, but a similar shift happened a few years back (football/weather orientated). Let's see.
    Remember a 10-15% shift over six weeks prior to update.
  • cafcpolo said:
    Still stick with SXX long term. Trying to add (whenever I have any spare money) on falls. BZM still volatile but due a big bounce IMO soon. Also have an interest in OTC which I think is very undervalued.
    I've been invested in OTC for years now, got exactly 500k shares. Providing all of their projects start to come good (it's been a very long time coming) they could be worth 10x and more of what they are now within a couple of years. They better be anyway, that's my fund so I can retire at 40!
    May finally be coming good Polo?
    Some very positive copper results coming from recent drill samples.
    https://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?ShareTicker=ARCM&share=Arc-Minerals
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcpolo said:
    Still stick with SXX long term. Trying to add (whenever I have any spare money) on falls. BZM still volatile but due a big bounce IMO soon. Also have an interest in OTC which I think is very undervalued.
    I've been invested in OTC for years now, got exactly 500k shares. Providing all of their projects start to come good (it's been a very long time coming) they could be worth 10x and more of what they are now within a couple of years. They better be anyway, that's my fund so I can retire at 40!
    May finally be coming good Polo?
    Some very positive copper results coming from recent drill samples.
    https://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?ShareTicker=ARCM&share=Arc-Minerals
    Hope so!! Been sat on these for about 6years now.
  • Up 80% over the last fortnight.
  • Hold onto your hat Polo.
    120% up over the past month.
  • edited February 2020
    Ortac (now Arc Minerals) currently at 2.5p (no change) Sirius Minerals now at 32p (was 24.5p January).
    Seeing that the savings thread has been given an airing. Sirius minerals now at 34.5p Arc minerals ( now with some big hitters on the BoD and major shareholders) now at 4.5p Also jumped on Capita soon after their fall. Sirius up 75% in 18 months, and British.
    https://apple.news/A9sxhxXwYSnmEkihOdUq0Qg

Workers on the huge Woodsmith mine may have breathed a sigh of relief after its struggling owner Sirius Minerals received a takeover bid.

Anglo American will buy the mine for £404m, or 5.5p per share.

But since the shares were being bought for 24p each only nine months ago, some small investors are nursing big losses, including those who put entire pensions behind the firm.

Cost me about £350, still less than my Charlton shares.

• any experts with any tips for this at the minute? Stuck some money in a stocks n shares ISA and trying to decide where to go with it
  • ct_addick said:
    my $10k investment in Tesla now worth $206k.....sales are rocketing and even at $1,180 a share I think there is still a lot of upside. New factories opening in Berlin, Austin and India. Will dominate EV sales in near future and then will squeeze the other competitors with their technology and will lower their profit margin and eventually blow them away.  
    That's one heck of a profit there mate.
    Congratulations. 
  • ct_addick said:
    my $10k investment in Tesla now worth $206k.....sales are rocketing and even at $1,180 a share I think there is still a lot of upside. New factories opening in Berlin, Austin and India. Will dominate EV sales in near future and then will squeeze the other competitors with their technology and will lower their profit margin and eventually blow them away.  
    That's one heck of a profit there mate.
    Congratulations. 
    I had $25k and sold the $15k stake for a profit a while back....kicking myself.....
  • Well done - What time period is that profit from