Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bury v Charlton | Sat 13 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• We really should win this one but I am far from confident. 2-2 draw.
  • edited January 2018
    5-3 Win

Amos
    Konsa | Bauer | Lennon
    Kashi | Aribo
    Marshall | Reeves | Holmes
    Mavididi | Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Jackson | Lapslie | DaSilva | Hackett-Fairchild

• Here is the CAS Trust take on the game

https://castrust.org/2018/01/616908/
  • edited January 2018
    A game a play-off chasing side must be expected to win but.....

Shakers 0 - 1 Addicks (Magennis)
  • edited January 2018
    MrLargo said:

“Everyone knows Bury are in a false position. Everyone knows they’ve got top players that will compete against teams in this league."

So said Karl after the 1-1 draw earlier this season. Turns out he was right about Bury being in a false position - they were 21st then and they're now 24th and 11 points clear of safety.

One thing he said that I would agree with to a certain extent was his description of Jermaine Beckford as "one of the best strikers in the league". I am therefore still baffled that bargain basement Bury could afford to sign him on a free from Preston, whilst we apparently didn't go for him as our budget only covers the likes of Dodoo and Best.

Beckford's got 8 goals playing for the worst side in the division, Josh Magennis has got 5 for us. Don't know how much Beckford gets paid, but the fact he's playing for Bury suggests it's not a vast amount. I'm fairly confident that if we'd gone for Beckford rather than Dodoo we'd still be in the top 6, and we'd have the option of playing 2 up front (a "Plan B" you might say).

Anyway, depressing 1-1 draw on our march to midtable.

They sign Beckford and are bottom, we lend them a 25 goal striker and he can't even get a game for them. Yet Robinson, now mooting he could be back with us soon. Couldn't make up the decline in our fortunes. A poor 1-1 draw no use to either of us. Unless you see it as a point that will keep us up.
  • MrLargo said:

“Everyone knows Bury are in a false position. Everyone knows they’ve got top players that will compete against teams in this league."

So said Karl after the 1-1 draw earlier this season. Turns out he was right about Bury being in a false position - they were 21st then and they're now 24th and 11 points clear of safety.

One thing he said that I would agree with to a certain extent was his description of Jermaine Beckford as "one of the best strikers in the league". I am therefore still baffled that bargain basement Bury could afford to sign him on a free from Preston, whilst we apparently didn't go for him as our budget only covers the likes of Dodoo and Best.

Beckford's got 8 goals playing for the worst side in the division, Josh Magennis has got 5 for us. Don't know how much Beckford gets paid, but the fact he's playing for Bury suggests it's not a vast amount. I'm fairly confident that if we'd gone for Beckford rather than Dodoo we'd still be in the top 6, and we'd have the option of playing 2 up front (a "Plan B" you might say).

Anyway, depressing 1-1 draw on our march to midtable.

They sign Beckford and are bottom, we lend them a 25 goal striker and he can't even get a game for them. Yet Robinson, now mooting he could be back with us soon. Couldn't make up the decline in our fortunes. A poor 1-1 draw no use to either of us. Unless you see it as a point that will keep us up.
    I recommend reading or listening to what Robinson actually said about Ajose. He seemed far from excited. He said something to the effect of "yeah I'd talk to him if he was there."
  • My prediction is regardless of the result or performance, Robinson will continue to get stick.
  • Bowyer and Jacko both score in brief cameo appearances.

1-3
  • If we lose this then the wheels are well and truly off.

1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Bury are rock bottom with 17 points.
    Even with our injuries we should be to strong for them.
    If we don't pick up 3 points tomorrow then we don't deserve to be in the top six.
    Come on Karl no more excuses just win the fuckin game.

2.1 Charlton
  • Bury are rock bottom with 17 points.
    If we don't pick up 3 points tomorrow then we don't deserve to be in the top six.

2.1 Charlton

But surely you have read how KR says they are a good team and picks out certain players that are good enough for a higher league, and how we have to be at our best to get anything out of this game. Well, that is what he says for every other game :wink:
  • Bury v Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 13th January 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Michael Salisbury (Lancashire)

Introduction

For the second time in a month, the Addicks find themselves with a Lancastrian double header as a dwindling Charlton squad travel up the M6 to face Bury. Last Saturday saw Charlton winning for the first time since November, a solo goal from Stephy Mavididi saw the young Arsenal loanee opening his professional account in impressive fashion… A 1-0 win just about securing the three points over relegation battling; Oldham Athletic.

The Opposition
    Name: Bury | Manager: Chris Lucketti
    Ground: Gigg Lane

Hosting us this Saturday are another struggling side with Bury currently propping up the table… Currently eleven points adrift, its imperative that the Shakers start to pick up victories, failure to do so will see a return to League Two for the Northern outfit… Last weekend saw Bury travelling to the Devon coast where they were defeated 3-0 by rejuvenated Plymouth Argyle.

On he pitch and like many clubs at this level; Bury have to make do with loan players from other sides… the fact that the Shakes have two huge Manchester sides just down the road will always ensure that attracting fans is difficult yet there is experience within this side.

Of those players; Jermaine Beckford will always be a goal threat as he proved at the Valley whilst young ‘keeper; Connor Ripley (believe it or not) joins on loan from Middlesbrough… Ripley being part of the Oldham squad last season that managed to battle for a point at the Valley last season – Two players that Charlton wont be facing tomorrow are Nicky Ajose and Michael Smith, the former being on loan from Charlton is ineligible, whilst the latter (an ex-Charlton Striker) has moved on to sign for Rotherham United in the last few days!!

Charlton Team News
    Is it even worth trying to predict the squad this weekend? – Injuries have of course played their part, yet now the Transfer Window is having its say too… With Roland refusing to sign any players he seems more than happy to sell with both Ezri Konsa and Ricky Holmes expected out the door before we enter February. Despite that fact, both are still Charlton players so you’d hope to see them appearing tomorrow, especially with so few other options to choose from.

As already mentioned, Stephy Mavididi opened his account last weekend so will surely earn a starting berth once more… Karlan Ahearne-Grant, fresh from scoring against Oxford in the Football League Trophy should surely deserve to start, yet having been replaced due to a slight injury in that match, he may be the latest player in what is an ever growing physios room.

Amos
    Konsa | Bauer | Lennon | DaSilva
    Kashi | Aribo
    Holmes | Mavididi | Marshall
    Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Jackson | Lapslie | Reeves | Ahearne-Grant | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
    If Konsa and Holmes are off then it would be nice to see them putting in performances that’ll potentially impress new sides… Bury are bottom and haven't won since the same date as our last victory (prior to Oldham) – The Shakers are a side though that proved what they’re about when they visited the Valley so its important that we get the first goal if we want to try and record three points.
    If Konsa and Holmes are off then I don't think they'll be playing. Having said that, I don't think they'll be off while negotiations are at an advanced stage. If they do get sold then it's a very bad sign indeed.

I guess you think Sarr is injured. Prone to the odd mistake or not, I'd still rather Sarr over Lennon at the moment if he isn't.

Is this the time to rest Josh? I'd start KAG over him right now. he's very quick, so play the odd ball over the top for him to chase. Defenders hate that. They'd much rather we lumped balls up for Magennis to head, which they can deal with all day long.

2-1 to The Addicks.

[Great work with the preview @ForeverAddickted ]
  • JamesSeed said:

Bury v Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 13th January 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Michael Salisbury (Lancashire)

Introduction

For the second time in a month, the Addicks find themselves with a Lancastrian double header as a dwindling Charlton squad travel up the M6 to face Bury. Last Saturday saw Charlton winning for the first time since November, a solo goal from Stephy Mavididi saw the young Arsenal loanee opening his professional account in impressive fashion… A 1-0 win just about securing the three points over relegation battling; Oldham Athletic.

The Opposition
    Name: Bury | Manager: Chris Lucketti
    Ground: Gigg Lane

Hosting us this Saturday are another struggling side with Bury currently propping up the table… Currently eleven points adrift, its imperative that the Shakers start to pick up victories, failure to do so will see a return to League Two for the Northern outfit… Last weekend saw Bury travelling to the Devon coast where they were defeated 3-0 by rejuvenated Plymouth Argyle.

On he pitch and like many clubs at this level; Bury have to make do with loan players from other sides… the fact that the Shakes have two huge Manchester sides just down the road will always ensure that attracting fans is difficult yet there is experience within this side.

Of those players; Jermaine Beckford will always be a goal threat as he proved at the Valley whilst young ‘keeper; Connor Ripley (believe it or not) joins on loan from Middlesbrough… Ripley being part of the Oldham squad last season that managed to battle for a point at the Valley last season – Two players that Charlton wont be facing tomorrow are Nicky Ajose and Michael Smith, the former being on loan from Charlton is ineligible, whilst the latter (an ex-Charlton Striker) has moved on to sign for Rotherham United in the last few days!!

Charlton Team News
    Is it even worth trying to predict the squad this weekend? – Injuries have of course played their part, yet now the Transfer Window is having its say too… With Roland refusing to sign any players he seems more than happy to sell with both Ezri Konsa and Ricky Holmes expected out the door before we enter February. Despite that fact, both are still Charlton players so you’d hope to see them appearing tomorrow, especially with so few other options to choose from.

As already mentioned, Stephy Mavididi opened his account last weekend so will surely earn a starting berth once more… Karlan Ahearne-Grant, fresh from scoring against Oxford in the Football League Trophy should surely deserve to start, yet having been replaced due to a slight injury in that match, he may be the latest player in what is an ever growing physios room.

Amos
    Konsa | Bauer | Lennon | DaSilva
    Kashi | Aribo
    Holmes | Mavididi | Marshall
    Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Jackson | Lapslie | Reeves | Ahearne-Grant | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
    If Konsa and Holmes are off then it would be nice to see them putting in performances that’ll potentially impress new sides… Bury are bottom and haven't won since the same date as our last victory (prior to Oldham) – The Shakers are a side though that proved what they’re about when they visited the Valley so its important that we get the first goal if we want to try and record three points.
    I guess you think Sarr is injured. Prone to the odd mistake or not, I'd still rather Sarr over Lennon at the moment if he isn't.
    Cheers James... I'd have Sarr starting but didnt Robinson say that he's got an Hamstring injury which was why he wasnt involved last week against Oldham; apparently it was only a Grade 1 (???) yet those injuries dont usually clear within a week surely?
  • ross1 said:

Bury are rock bottom with 17 points.

2.1 Charlton

But surely you have read how KR says they are a good team and picks out certain players that are good enough for a higher league, and how we have to be at our best to get anything out of this game. Well, that is what he says for every other game :wink:
    Annoying ain't he
  • The sort of game we lose.

1-0.
  • We are playing a team on a worse run of form than us if that could be possible, who haven't won a league game since they surprisingly beat Shrewsbury back on November 21st which is also when they scored their last league goal. So 0 goals scored in their last 7 league games!

Last 3 games against Bury we have struggled surely this time around it must be an away banker even with our absentees? Made for a 0-1 defeat!
  • If Holmes is off then he won't be playing.

We have to go 433 if that's the case.

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Lennon DaSilva
    Aribo Kashi Jacko
    KAG Mag Mav

Jacko's leadership to help an inexperienced defence through the game. Him and Kashi dropping in to allow the full backs to get forward and provide the width. Aribo making his driving runs down the middle.

Mav and KAG told to be within distance of Mag whenever we have the ball. They can feed off the knock downs. Tell then to get in the box whenever we attack. Have to get more than just Josh in the box on his own. Trouble their defence a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018

ross1 said:

Bury are rock bottom with 17 points.

2.1 Charlton

Annoying ain't he
    I've not seen what KR said, but to be fair Ripley, Dawson, Rowan Ince, Danns, O'Shea, Bunn, and Leigh (not to mentioned Ajose and Beckford) are all good, experienced players at this level. There were people picking Bury to get promoted this year. And a fair few would have liked Stephen Dawson and Harry Bunn as signings (the latter but not the former for me).

That said, we should win. We need to win. They're in a terrible run of form. I just don't think saying "Bury have good players" is that ridiculous. On paper, they look a better team than say, Oldham or Gillingham, who I would take issue with Karl saying "they've got a bunch of good players."
  • edited January 2018

If Holmes is off then he won't be playing.

We have to go 433 if that's the case.

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Lennon DaSilva
    Aribo Kashi Jacko
    KAG Mag Mav

Jacko's leadership to help an inexperienced defence through the game. Him and Kashi dropping in to allow the full backs to get forward and provide the width. Aribo making his driving runs down the middle.

Mav and KAG told to be within distance of Mag whenever we have the ball. They can feed off the knock downs. Tell then to get in the box whenever we attack. Have to get more than just Josh in the box on his own. Trouble their defence a bit.

I like the idea of going 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 once JFC is back. But my concern with that midfield three is they desperately lack a bit of guile and the ability to pick a pass. When playing against Wigan it was fine, we wanted to sit deep and hit them on the counter because their center backs are slow. But against Bury, who I expect to sit deep as they did at The Valley, I think that midfield would really struggle to break them down. And I think Bury will condense the space so that there isn't a lot of room to play long/diagonal balls to Mag.

I actually think Ben Reeves could be really important in this game. Thought he looked decent against Oxford. I don't feel Marshall is adding much going forward at the moment, and if Bury sit deep he won't have the space to use his pace. Reeves, on is day, has the ability to find a bit of space and either work a shot or pick a pass. Think second half against Blackburn. The problem, obviously, is that he's been incredibly erratic and just disappeared from games for large stretches.
  • I noticed the ticket says ‘Unreserved seating’ which is sensible. Why can’t all clubs do that?
  • I noticed the ticket says ‘Unreserved seating’ which is sensible. Why can’t all clubs do that?
  • Isn't KAG injured?
  • Bury 2 ((Magennis, Marshall) Charlton 0
  • SDAddick said:

dickplumb said:

Another defeat on the road, 2-0 to Bury. I can see no light at the end of the tunnel on or off the pitch.

I mean, we did win our last match.

Desperately hope Sarr is fit. He would mark a huge upgrade on Lennon. I know Robinson said no injured players are back but I don't always trust him when it comes to injuries. Also, I would personally start Reeves ahead of Marshall. I think he offers more craft and guile, which we'll need against a team I expect to sit deep.

..............Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr DaSilva
    .......Kashi(C)...Aribo
    Reeves...Holmes...Mavididi
    ..............Magennis

Bench: Phillips, Lennon/Yao, Dijksteel, Jackson, Marshall, Ahearne-Grant, Hackett-Fairchild

Yao in for Lennon if he's hurt I suppose. Hard to gauge which of the young center backs is top of the pecking order (Yao, Cummings, Bowery, Blumberg).
    Blumberg is probably best being no nonsense.
  • What odds are Bury?

Raiding the kids Christmas money tomorrow and going large on a home win.

Absolutely nailed on!
  • What odds are Bury?

Absolutely nailed on!

Remember to pay it back please xxx
  • What odds are Bury?

Absolutely nailed on!

Good plan - but we are away!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!