Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Teenagers car insurance any tips?

Comments

• I think there is a gap in the market for a very under powered, safe, cheap, unsexy car for young drivers, with cheap insurance being the attraction. Will make the roads safer too.
  • Try adding and lots of people to the quote who have no claims etc. I had three people on mine. But also try with less and compare. Each insurance company is different. I went with aviva first, currently with admiral as they were cheapest.
  • My 17 year old son has passed his test today, he owns a 53 reg 1.2 renault clio, I have been searching for insurance for him this morning (don't let my boss know :wink: ) and they range from £2200 TPFT to £8814 TPFT. I drive a company car and have done for a number of years so haven't bought insurance for ages and have such been out of touch with the price to insure a car for a while. How does this compare other what others have experienced out there? is this truely what the insurance market is demanding?
  • i only got my licence last year ( im 27 ) so no longer a teen but am inexperienced, got a 1.4 ford fiesta 06 plate so nothing too flashy and barely use it, im with goskippy last year was £863 and just had renewal through priced at £612
  • I used CoOp young drivers for my 17yr old son and it was cheap using a black box.
    Remember full Comp is cheaper than third party now
  • edited January 2018
    I can't remember the name of the company my son went with in the end, ( i will ask him) but he's 21 , and from memory i think its £1400 a year?
  • edited January 2018

We are going to get her a car when she passes.

My advice is to get her an old banger. If she gets a few scrapes and dents in an older, less glamorous car then it's no big deal. If she's got a shiny new Fiat 500 or something though, it suddenly becomes the end of the world.

• My 17 year old son has passed his test today, he owns a 53 reg 1.2 renault clio, I have been searching for insurance for him this morning (don't let my boss know :wink: ) and they range from £2200 TPFT to £8814 TPFT. I drive a company car and have done for a number of years so haven't bought insurance for ages and have such been out of touch with the price to insure a car for a while. How does this compare other what others have experienced out there? is this truely what the insurance market is demanding?

Expect to pay over £1000 but with a black box it shouldnt be much more than that
  • Rizzo said:

My advice is to get her an old banger. If she gets a few scrapes and dents in an older, less glamorous car then it's no big deal. If she's got a shiny new Fiat 500 or something though, it suddenly becomes the end of the world.

I agree with this , a neighbour i knew quite well, bought their son a 7 grand car when they turned 18 (inheritance from their nan passing away or something) and thought it would be a nice thing to do , 6 months later it was written off , and this was a few years ago now , so probably like 12 grand now.
  • edited January 2018
    Sent a text to my son the company he ended up with was

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/?rw.cm=GOOGLE,PPC,adrian+flux+car+insurance&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Mzd6bvS2AIVzbftCh01Cgy-EAAYASAAEgKzPPD_BwE

I think he's got a black box in the car, like the Coop one , quote was high i thought , as he had previously made a claim, worth a phone call , and get at least 3 quotes from different people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rizzo said:

I agree with this , a neighbour i knew quite well, bought their son a 7 grand car when they turned 18 (inheritance from their nan passing away or something) and thought it would be a nice thing to do , 6 months later it was written off , and this was a few years ago now , so probably like 12 grand now.
    I ran into the back of someone in my first car and, if it had been a decent car it would have been a write off. Being a knackered old banger though, it was sorted out mainly with a hammer and continued being drive-able.

• When my son passed his test 3 years ago, Sheila's Wheels were the cheapest for him with a black box. We also found that by adding my wife and I to his policy as named drivers brought his premium down by over £700 even though we never intended to drive his car
  • Going to be going through this soon. As we don't have an appropriate car for him to practice with while learning, probably going to shell out on something small before he's passed.

As a provisional driver, is it best to insure the car for me and wife with him as a named driver, swapping him to main driver after he's passed OR put him down as main driver with just a provisional (and us as named)?
  • Sent a text to my son the company he ended up with was

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/?rw.cm=GOOGLE,PPC,adrian+flux+car+insurance&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Mzd6bvS2AIVzbftCh01Cgy-EAAYASAAEgKzPPD_BwE

I think he's got a black box in the car, like the Coop one , quote was high i thought , as he had previously made a claim, worth a phone call , and get at least 3 quotes from different people.

Just spoke to these guys, £1940 TPFT. Although still a lot of money a bit better than £8k. Think we might go with this :neutral:

Just spoke to these guys, £1940 TPFT. Although still a lot of money a bit better than £8k. Think we might go with this :neutral:
    As others have said, add yourself on as a named driver. Should bring it down a bit.

As others have said, add yourself on as a named driver. Should bring it down a bit.
    I have
  • My daughter passed in November - got a fully comp policy from Hastings (Smartmiles) for 1400 odd, Tesco slightly higher at 1500 odd. THese were the two cheapest we could find. Comprehensive for some reason is cheaper than TPFT. All policies for younger drivers require a black telematics box but I think thats a good thing as will help their driving.

Unfortunately daughter had a very small accident just after passing, and the customer service from Hastings was awful. However in the end everything was sortrd out favourably.
  • Nadou said:

I found that Churchill were the most reasonable (though still v expensive). If she is going to have her own car you can take an option where you have a tracking device fitted to the car, checking on how the car is being driven - that brings down the premium.

Nadou said:

I found that Churchill were the most reasonable (though still v expensive). If she is going to have her own car you can take an option where you have a tracking device fitted to the car, checking on how the car is being driven - that brings down the premium.

Nadou said:

Black box all day long.Tesco's.my sons gone from.£2800.to £1100 in 2 years.or mum. Or dad go on his as named driver as it goes on the oldest and experience.that was on martin Lewis show the other night.pm me for more info.
  • @CatAddick
    I checked for this with my daughter and it didnt really make any difference whether she was main driver or named driver.

When learning you can get a top up policy to put the learner driver on your car for about £70 a month, which was much cheaper when I asked then putting my daughter on my policy, which was about £200/month. You can get this through Admiral, RAC, Aviva - just google it.
  • Search on moneysupermarket, gocompare, comparethemarket and you'll get the answer.

My son from age 20 found Bell did and still does, knock all the others out of sight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Done the comparison sites, I have just realised that they are not always the best, Adrian Flux have just blown then out of the water and they didn't even feature.
  • All so depends on area and where you live and post code.
  • Thanks @croydonaddick problem is that one car doesn't have the right number of pedals and the other one is a TT - not sure if that's appropriate for a 17 year-old to be reversing round the corner :-)
  • Google; ‘insurance companies that do not feature on comparison sites’

Direct Line smashed it for me, about £15 cheaper pm than anyone else.
  • Use a comparison site.

Have her as a named driver, providing it's a shared car or if it's not adding a parent used to reduce the cost. Not sure it does now.

Check the fully comp rates. As someone else mentioned, it can be cheaper. Friends of mine in their 50’s had an old car and decided to switch to TPFT as they didn’t see the point of fully comp for an old rust bucket. It almost doubled the premium, so they stuck with fully comp. Might be different for a new driver, but worth checking.
  • CatAddick said:

Going to be going through this soon. As we don't have an appropriate car for him to practice with while learning, probably going to shell out on something small before he's passed.

As a provisional driver, is it best to insure the car for me and wife with him as a named driver, swapping him to main driver after he's passed OR put him down as main driver with just a provisional (and us as named)?

His insurance as a provisional driver will be cheaper than when he passes his test.
  • CatAddick said:

Thanks @croydonaddick problem is that one car doesn't have the right number of pedals and the other one is a TT - not sure if that's appropriate for a 17 year-old to be reversing round the corner :-)

Let him have the TT, you don’t have to reverse around a corner anymore on your test.
  • CatAddick said:

Thanks @croydonaddick problem is that one car doesn't have the right number of pedals and the other one is a TT - not sure if that's appropriate for a 17 year-old to be reversing round the corner :-)

Let him have the TT, you don’t have to reverse around a corner anymore on your test.
    It's the wife's car so not my decision! (I wasn't sure when the test was changing to remove reversing)

I suspected provisional insurance might be cheaper as he should always have a responsible co-pilot to tell him to slow down.....
  • CatAddick said:

Going to be going through this soon. As we don't have an appropriate car for him to practice with while learning, probably going to shell out on something small before he's passed.

His insurance as a provisional driver will be cheaper than when he passes his test.
    That's right, my son paid £400 for his provisional insurance on the Clio but now he passed their terminate that policy so he has to start again.