Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bury v Charlton | Sat 13 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Bury v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 13th January 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Michael Salisbury (Lancashire)

Introduction

For the second time in a month, the Addicks find themselves with a Lancastrian double header as a dwindling Charlton squad travel up the M6 to face Bury. Last Saturday saw Charlton winning for the first time since November, a solo goal from Stephy Mavididi saw the young Arsenal loanee opening his professional account in impressive fashion… A 1-0 win just about securing the three points over relegation battling; Oldham Athletic.

The Opposition
Name: Bury | Manager: Chris Lucketti
Ground: Gigg Lane

Hosting us this Saturday are another struggling side with Bury currently propping up the table… Currently eleven points adrift, its imperative that the Shakers start to pick up victories, failure to do so will see a return to League Two for the Northern outfit… Last weekend saw Bury travelling to the Devon coast where they were defeated 3-0 by rejuvenated Plymouth Argyle.

On he pitch and like many clubs at this level; Bury have to make do with loan players from other sides… the fact that the Shakes have two huge Manchester sides just down the road will always ensure that attracting fans is difficult yet there is experience within this side.

Of those players; Jermaine Beckford will always be a goal threat as he proved at the Valley whilst young ‘keeper; Connor Ripley (believe it or not) joins on loan from Middlesbrough… Ripley being part of the Oldham squad last season that managed to battle for a point at the Valley last season – Two players that Charlton wont be facing tomorrow are Nicky Ajose and Michael Smith, the former being on loan from Charlton is ineligible, whilst the latter (an ex-Charlton Striker) has moved on to sign for Rotherham United in the last few days!!

Charlton Team News
Is it even worth trying to predict the squad this weekend? – Injuries have of course played their part, yet now the Transfer Window is having its say too… With Roland refusing to sign any players he seems more than happy to sell with both Ezri Konsa and Ricky Holmes expected out the door before we enter February. Despite that fact, both are still Charlton players so you’d hope to see them appearing tomorrow, especially with so few other options to choose from.

As already mentioned, Stephy Mavididi opened his account last weekend so will surely earn a starting berth once more… Karlan Ahearne-Grant, fresh from scoring against Oxford in the Football League Trophy should surely deserve to start, yet having been replaced due to a slight injury in that match, he may be the latest player in what is an ever growing physios room.

Amos
Konsa | Bauer | Lennon | DaSilva
Kashi | Aribo
Holmes | Mavididi | Marshall
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Jackson | Lapslie | Reeves | Ahearne-Grant | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
If Konsa and Holmes are off then it would be nice to see them putting in performances that’ll potentially impress new sides… Bury are bottom and havent won since the same date as our last victory (prior to Oldham) – The Shakers are a side though that proved what they’re about when they visited the Valley so its important that we get the first goal if we want to try and record three points.

Comments

• Beckford out for the season. Understood Lennon is injured.
  • Beckford out for the season. Understood Lennon is injured.

Cheers forgot about the very changed squad against Oxford... Cant be arsed to try and second guess it
  • I don't expect an entertaining game. If we score the first goal it should end with a draw. Otherwise it will be a 2:0 loss.
    No chance for a goalless game.
  • Despite the injuries and probably Dijksteel coming into the defence I still think we will get 3 points here.
  • the sort of game we really have to get 3 points out of.

be interesting to see the side that karl puts out if konsa and holmes are off theres no point them playing imo
  • 2-0 Charlton (Mavididi & Marshall)
  • Konsa and Holmes will not risk injuries. On the bench at best.
    Possible 1-1 draw.
  • No point in being measured and knowledgeable about this. We are shit.

3-0 to Bury
  • Konsa and Holmes remain Charlton players at the current time. They should have no say in whether or not they play at Bury. They should both start tomorrow.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• A very important game.
  • No offers in for anyone according to Robbo.

Go and show them what they are missing.
  • Another defeat on the road, 2-0 to Bury. I can see no light at the end of the tunnel on or off the pitch.
  • First goal even more vital than usual, go behind and well you know, hopefully 0-1 own goal.
  • Nice local referee i see.
  • Scoring is a big issue for us!
  • dickplumb said:

Another defeat on the road, 2-0 to Bury. I can see no light at the end of the tunnel on or off the pitch.

I mean, we did win our last match.

Desperately hope Sarr is fit. He would mark a huge upgrade on Lennon. I know Robinson said no injured players are back but I don't always trust him when it comes to injuries. Also, I would personally start Reeves ahead of Marshall. I think he offers more craft and guile, which we'll need against a team I expect to sit deep.

..............Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr DaSilva
    .......Kashi(C)...Aribo
    Reeves...Holmes...Mavididi
    ..............Magennis

Bench: Phillips, Lennon/Yao, Dijksteel, Jackson, Marshall, Ahearne-Grant, Hackett-Fairchild

Yao in for Lennon if he's hurt I suppose. Hard to gauge which of the young center backs is top of the pecking order (Yao, Cummings, Bowery, Blumberg).
  • This literally could be anything, i will be positive and predict 0-2 away win. Big Mag will get a goal hopefully
  • Let's stop arguing with RD in the same week as we lose 4-0 at Gigg Lane. I'd say Bury the hatchet.
  • 1 - 1 Draw , Holmes signs off with his last goal for us from a free kick, they equalise late on, as usual!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    0-2 Magennis with both.....only joking, there is more chance of me scoring from 200 miles away. Mavididi & Holmes Aribo with the goals.

3-0 to Bury

So are Bury.

3-0 to Bury

So are Bury.
    We are shit. And we are Charlton.

3-0 to Bury.
  • Weak bench, but we really should have enough in our first 11 to win this. Bury are really poor, stranded at the bottom, only 19 goals in 26 matches, they make us look prolific!
  • can't see past a 2-0 defeat here, they haven't won/scored for half a dozen games or something blah blah......nailed on
  • First goal even more vital than usual, go behind and well you know, hopefully 0-1 own goal.

Says it all apart from the result. Bury will be up for this & sadly we wont.

2-0 home win.
  • 2-0 defeat. we are in disarray and instead of Robinson trying to install a siege mentality into the players he spends he time bleating and saying woe is me etc. plus Bury have made some signings.
  • edited January 2018
    Should win, probably won't, lets go 1-1
  • 2-1 win. We go 2 up by half hour. They score before half time and we somehow hold on.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!