Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Konsa to Everton ?

Comments

• 3m for Gomez was a downright giveaway - I remember saying it at the time and being shouted down.

By whom ? It was plainly obvious
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Mrkinski said:

Cafc will not see a penny of any transfer money. It will go on 'operating costs'. Soon we will have trouble assembling a squad on matchdays.

KR said at the presser today only likely to be 5 on the bench Saturday at Bury.
    Then he should be fired therecis never a reason to not fill a full bench in this day and age
    Agreed, even if you only stick a couple of youngsters on there for the 'experience'. He's just making a point, to RD and any prospective new owners.
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Mrkinski said:

Cafc will not see a penny of any transfer money. It will go on 'operating costs'. Soon we will have trouble assembling a squad on matchdays.

KR said at the presser today only likely to be 5 on the bench Saturday at Bury.
    Then he should be fired therecis never a reason to not fill a full bench in this day and age
    Agreed mate hopefully just a sound bite, on the plus side Bauer should be back.
    There were only six on the bench at Southend so not just a sound bite.
    I was aware of the shortage on the bench at Southend and as I said hopefully his comment today was just a sound bite but it woin't be a surprise if he keeps up his 'not so subtle' messages to RD. The devil in me also says he is building ready made excuses for his next job interview as to what brought things to a head for him with us.
    I'm not sure what Robinson is trying to achieve with not putting out 7 subs. Bring some youngsters along for matchday experience, surely that would be a benefit to them.
    Or give them the wrong impression that they're good enough and ready for the first team.
  • edited January 2018

He wants to go and sit next to Lookman on the bench. For 10x the money he is on now and to train with much better players, and not play for a club owned by a vindictive megalomaniac.

Fixed that for you

• Don't get the hype over Konsa....
  • Greenie said:

Don't get the hype over Konsa....

It’s funny as they’ve been Charlton fans who’ve not got the hype over Gomez, Lookman. Shelvey, Pope, Jenkinson, Elliott, Randolph, Francis and pretty much every player over the last ten years who has gone on to play a team a higher level
    All the above had potential, big potential with a couple, I'm not having it about Francis though, he was utter dog shit for us....my theory is that he is twins and his talented brother is the one that is at Bournemouth, the one we had is working in ASDA or somewhere.
    Francis was far better than we gave him credit for - the boo boys destroyed his confidence. Some fans lose any objectivity once it's been decided a player is a scapegoat.

Konsa is okay but for me is hyped up on account of his age. The only player that's really stood out for me is Gomez - the others are lower Premiership or Championship level.
  • Greenie said:

It’s funny as they’ve been Charlton fans who’ve not got the hype over Gomez, Lookman. Shelvey, Pope, Jenkinson, Elliott, Randolph, Francis and pretty much every player over the last ten years who has gone on to play a team a higher level
    All the above had potential, big potential with a couple, I'm not having it about Francis though, he was utter dog shit for us....my theory is that he is twins and his talented brother is the one that is at Bournemouth, the one we had is working in ASDA or somewhere.
    Francis was far better than we gave him credit for - the boo boys destroyed his confidence. Some fans lose any objectivity once it's been decided a player is a scapegoat.

Konsa is okay but for me is hyped up on account of his age. The only player that's really stood out for me is Gomez - the others are lower Premiership or Championship level.
    Yes, I remember at the time wondering why Francis got SO much stick, it wasn't as if he was a big money signing or was obviously worse than the rest of the team at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Evaluating professional footballers is still a subjective business. Even the professionals -Managers, directors of football, Chief scouts etc have different/opposing views as Sam Allardyce pointed out a few days ago regarding Virgill Van Dyke.

Konsa has not progressed this season imo, and still not strong enough for a CB. So the only way i can see Everton paying £4m is if that figure includes a large % of add on's. Which i suspect could be the case. Media like to report the 'headline' figure of £4m.

Still everybody and his dog could see that Gomez was heading straight to the top.

• Evaluating professional footballers is still a subjective business. Even the professionals -Managers, directors of football, Chief scouts etc have different/opposing views as Sam Allardyce pointed out a few days ago regarding Virgill Van Dyke.

Konsa has not progressed this season imo, and still not strong enough for a CB. So the only way i can see Everton paying £4m is if that figure includes a large % of add on's. Which i suspect could be the case. Media like to report the 'headline' figure of £4m.

Still everybody and his dog could see that Gomez was heading straight to the top.

I think stregnth matters more at this level than it does in the top levels of the game. And even with that being said, I don't remember Konsa getting pushed around the way Lennon has in even the last couple games. Konsa clearly bulked up last year/over the summer and I think he's held his own fine.

Also, I do think he's progressed this year. Because he's played a lot in an attacking team, it has left him more exposed than last year where we sat 8 behind the ball. But I think Konsa's reading of the game has gotten better, he is stronger, and better in the air. He still has lapses in all three department, but they're nothing more than I would expect from a 20 year old.

He's also very, very good on the ball. Strong, quick, and clever, and has the ability the ability to turn defense into attack that way.

This is a rough and tumble league. He's played at CB, RB, and in central midfield. I think he's having a very good season.
  • Konsa is a decent English player and he will only get better.
  • The way he's been playing at CB lately, he's only still getting in the side cos the squad's down to the barest of bare bones.
    £4M? Really? If that was true it should have happened by now. That would knock 40% odd off the operating loss for the year. Roly's absence of knowledge on football will see him snapping that up. EK might have to stick around a bit longer tho. We've become well aware exactly how bad all CAFC's dealings have been with everybody these last few years; so long as EK got himself some vaguely competent advice on his last contract, he'll be due a big payoff if CAFC sell him. If that payoff takes a big chunk off roly's cashflow the septicgenarian might not sanction the business.
    Whether he, RH, or anybody else is flogged off for squillions or peanuts is totally irrelevant. The geriatric goon won't be spending a single avoidable cent on Charlton. Which is how we're stuck with gobby for the forseeable.
    By this time next month the CAFC starting XI could pretty much be the U23's plus Jacko. Near enough exactly what squirrel face said was the plan all along.
    Marvellous
  • Greenie said:

Yes, I remember at the time wondering why Francis got SO much stick, it wasn't as if he was a big money signing or was obviously worse than the rest of the team at the time.
    The problem I had with Francis was that Solly made a few appearances prior to signing Francis and looked very good considering his age. Francis played and was not only not as good, but was clearly blocking Solly's progress. Due to this, less patience was given for poor / below par performances from him. I am not one for booing our own players but I can see where the stick came from and the reason for it.
  • Everton to my knowledge have a raft of centre backs allready, surley they cannot be buying him with short terms plans to go into their first team. I would imagine that the Walsh guy had already planned this deal without any or little say from Fat Sam, my thinking is he will go straight into the u23 squad with Unsworth for further development. Then will be loaned out the championship next season along with Lookman.
  • Greenie said:

A lot of fans need to understand what a scapegoat is, Francis was not a scapegoat, he was just shit.
    However, now he is not shit!!!
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

A lot of fans need to understand what a scapegoat is, Francis was not a scapegoat, he was just shit.
    Francis was a scapegoat - he suffered appalling abuse. He was no worse than a lot of players at the time but some fans decided abusing him was the way forward.

Morgan Fox also got picked on - he might be a limited player but didn't warrant the level of abuse he got.

I often wonder the sort of sad f***ers whose primary enjoyment seems to be to hurl abuse at their own players. What do they expect to achieve?
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Francis was a scapegoat - he suffered appalling abuse. He was no worse than a lot of players at the time but some fans decided abusing him was the way forward.

Morgan Fox also got picked on - he might be a limited player but didn't warrant the level of abuse he got.

I often wonder the sort of sad f***ers whose primary enjoyment seems to be to hurl abuse at their own players. What do they expect to achieve?
    Ive never booed a player individually, yep Ive booed the team off if they dont put in the effort.
    Francis was pelt, he was not a scapegoat, why? because he was shit, he was never blamed for anything that wasnt his fault, like I said earlier Fox had his moments as did Mooney, but I never agreed with the stick both of those got.
    Also if you applaud your team, by the same token you can criticise them. You cant have it one way, Ive never understood fans who dont get that.
  • CH4RLTON said:

Everton to my knowledge have a raft of centre backs allready, surley they cannot be buying him with short terms plans to go into their first team. I would imagine that the Walsh guy had already planned this deal without any or little say from Fat Sam, my thinking is he will go straight into the u23 squad with Unsworth for further development. Then will be loaned out the championship next season along with Lookman.

Williams and Jagielka are both getting on a bit, as is Leighton Baines, so they need some younger defenders. In terms of their first team Konsa is nowhere near ready yet, no way would he be a regular for Everton this season
  • Sponsored links:

• CH4RLTON said:

Everton to my knowledge have a raft of centre backs allready, surley they cannot be buying him with short terms plans to go into their first team. I would imagine that the Walsh guy had already planned this deal without any or little say from Fat Sam, my thinking is he will go straight into the u23 squad with Unsworth for further development. Then will be loaned out the championship next season along with Lookman.

Williams and Jagielka are both getting on a bit, as is Leighton Baines, so they need some younger defenders. In terms of their first team Konsa is nowhere near ready yet, no way would he be a regular for Everton this season
    Just as well they're not buying him then.

Of course I could be wrong....
  • CH4RLTON said:

Far from it. They've got Michael Keane, whose form has dipped atrociously this season, Ashley Williams who is a shadow of the footballer he was, Phil Jagielka who is 612 years old, Ramiro Funes Mori who has been out all season and might not recover by the end, and 21 year old Mason Holgate. Matthew Pennington, Ty Browning and Brendan Galloway are young players that the club are leaning towards giving up on, and they're all out on loan at other clubs. Everton are in desperate need of new players at centre half so it would be a good time for him to join them
  • CH4RLTON said:

Far from it. They've got Michael Keane, whose form has dipped atrociously this season, Ashley Williams who is a shadow of the footballer he was, Phil Jagielka who is 612 years old, Ramiro Funes Mori who has been out all season and might not recover by the end, and 21 year old Mason Holgate. Matthew Pennington, Ty Browning and Brendan Galloway are young players that the club are leaning towards giving up on, and they're all out on loan at other clubs. Everton are in desperate need of new players at centre half so it would be a good time for him to join them
    Wouldn't they be looking for the finished article if they're in such dire need? Konsa is one for the future, possibly, at Prem level - isn't he?
  • edited January 2018
    JamesSeed said:

CH4RLTON said:

Wouldn't they be looking for the finished article if they're in such dire need? Konsa is one for the future, possibly, at Prem level - isn't he?
    Yes, I would assume so. Though garry makes a good point, they're not overly blessed with center halves, especially for a club that prides itself on growing young players (either coming through their academy, or like Stones and Holgate, purchased young).

Holgate, Browning, and Galloway have spent a lot of time at fullback. Browning is 23 already, can't see him making it there. Holgate is certainly talented and athletic, but young, erratic, and allegedly homophobic. Galloway can't seem to get games after breaking through a couple years ago.

You can also throw Callum Connolly into the mix, another U-20 world cup winner, he's another in the much of a muchness category, and seems to have played in midfield or fullback.

I think Konsa has the potential to be better than all of them. That said, all of the above have played at a higher level than Konsa.

I still think it would be best for Konsa to play regularly over the second half of the season. I think he'd really struggle to make the step up. But with that said, with all of Everton's injuries they may just be desperate for cover there. I'd think they'd be looking to bring in more immediate cover, but I'm not up to date on their transfer rumors.
  • I think that Konsa is one of those players that would improve dramatically around very good players - think he (like a lot of the players this season) has been coasting knowing that there is no future staying at Charlton - he'll be a good player imo in the Prem.
  • SDAddick said:

I still think it would be best for Konsa to play regularly over the second half of the season. I think he'd really struggle to make the step up. But with that said, with all of Everton's injuries they may just be desperate for cover there.

Tend to agree, SD. Ideally, the time to move for Konsa would be early in the summer - so that he gets a full pre-season with his new club, and time to adapt to a different locality without pressure. Like Gomez did.

• I really rate Konsa. Obviously not Gomez level but still a very good footballer.
  • wmcf123 said:

3m for Gomez was a downright giveaway - I remember saying it at the time and being shouted down.

By whom ? It was plainly obvious
    I'll try to dig it out
  • Oggy Red said:

SDAddick said:

I still think it would be best for Konsa to play regularly over the second half of the season. I think he'd really struggle to make the step up. But with that said, with all of Everton's injuries they may just be desperate for cover there.

Tend to agree, SD. Ideally, the time to move for Konsa would be early in the summer - so that he gets a full pre-season with his new club, and time to adapt to a different locality without pressure. Like Gomez did.

The thing is, Everton would surely be buying him for the future rather than throwing him in their first team immediately