Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karlan Ahearne Grant (Joins Crawley on loan - Page 6)

Comments

• LenGlover said:

Oggy Red said:

Reminds me of the chance he got at Oxford in the League where it went oh so horribly wrong... Only on this occasion he did everything himself to create the chance whereas the League game saw him being given it on a plate

Maybe he's a bit like young Kevin Lisbie ....... at his best driving forward with the ball and shooting on the run.

What he isn't, is a fox-in-the box.
    Most of his glaring misses are when the ball comes to him 10 yards out - and without momentum, he has to react.
    His goal against Peterborough to secure the draw was fox in the box like or Killer like. He moved quickly over a few yards to beat the defender and finished clinically.
    Fair enough, Len. His quick movement off the ball was superb - he must have covered 10 or 12 yards in anticipation to connect.

But to me that's what Karlan's all about; he's decent if he can run on to the ball and shoot.
    Or to drive forward with the ball and get a shot away, like he did v Oxford.

However, it's too often a different story when he's static in the box, he just doesn't seem to react quickly or decisively enough - look at his dreadfully weak and dithery shot v Oldham - when the ball came to him all he needed was a little 1st time dink over the grounded keeper, but he hesitated and feebly scuffed the ball straight into the keeper's body.

Having said that, we'll get the best out of Karlan if we play to his qualities - using his strength, pace and movement to get between central defenders, move on to the ball and shoot on the run.

• edited January 2018
    J BLOCK said:

He'll be playing non league within 2 years

He can't say he hasn't had chances. Simply not good enough for league 1

I think he's good enough for this league. He's fast, reasonably strong, tries hard, and look, he can score goals.
    His goals-per-minute (a much under valued stat) is waaaaay better than Josh's.
    We should be starting him, in the middle, most matches. His shooting will improve along with his confidence.

Go KAG.
  • There's no way that Magennis should be starting games in front of KAG, until he finds his form again.
    KAG looks a much livelier prospect at the moment, Mag just looks like he is seeing out the 90 mins for his wages.
  • KAG isn’t the type of player that can do well upfront on his own, he’s desperate for a loan move and I’d say Vetokele and Ajose are miles ahead of him. With that said, I would still play him instead of Magennis.

Everyone hated Tucudean and Church but they would probably be both be starting and scoring for us in this league.
  • I almost wish this three did not exist. It will just wake up RD to the fact he has one more player to sell.
  • KAG isn’t the type of player that can do well upfront on his own, he’s desperate for a loan move and I’d say Vetokele and Ajose are miles ahead of him. With that said, I would still play him instead of Magennis.

Everyone hated Tucudean and Church but they would probably be both be starting and scoring for us in this league.

Nah, Ajose didn't even have much pace, couldn't hold the ball up, didn't make many decent runs, never even looked that bothered.
  • Dazzler21 said:

He's no Reeco but I think once he scores once he'll score more

3 goals in 52 games would suggest otherwise.

Dazzler21 said:

KAG does a lot right, just not the important part - His finishing is awful at pro level

Which goes to show the massive gulf between age group and senior side, he was scoring for fun for the u18s when he was 15/16 iirc
    He was on loan at Cambridge then wasn't he? Don't think he scored there.

Dazzler21 said:

KAG does a lot right, just not the important part - His finishing is awful at pro level

Which goes to show the massive gulf between age group and senior side, he was scoring for fun for the u18s when he was 15/16 iirc
    Karl commented on this at Bromley Addicks and said he has changed and wants to be a winger with tricks rather than just goals. I am sure KR did say he sees enough in him to want to try and work on him.
    I thought it was said (by maybe Henry was it?) in the post Bromley Addicks meeting thread that Karl wants to get back to using him as a forward?
    I'll admit I've been harsh to him, but I've been pleasantly surprised at his hard work and determination of late.

Plus that was a fantastic finish t'other night.
  • edited January 2018
    JamesSeed said:

KAG isn’t the type of player that can do well upfront on his own, he’s desperate for a loan move and I’d say Vetokele and Ajose are miles ahead of him. With that said, I would still play him instead of Magennis.

Nah, Ajose didn't even have much pace, couldn't hold the ball up, didn't make many decent runs, never even looked that bothered.
    I wasn't impressed by his attitude either, James ..... but in the right team selection and playing to his strengths, he did have something to offer. Perhaps we have to look at what he can do, rather than his weaknesses?

He is a finisher, or at least that's what it says on the tin. He didn't play so many matches for us last season, but he still nicked 7 goals, mainly poaching the box - exactly what we've lacked this year.

There was also a very decent volley from just outside the box, scored in our 5-1 thrashing of Bristol Rovers away.
    Home against Port Vale there was good awareness and movement from him to find space wide in midfield, before creating a 1-on-1 and finishing, just like many of the goals he scored for Swindon.

He could be relied on to score from penalties.

The season before he had scored 25 goals for Swindon - but they found a way to get the best out of him.
    Why didn't we?

Robinson didn't know what to do with him as he didn't fit his system, and even picked him to play as a winger/midfielder, which everybody saw was a waste of time.

Ultimately Robinson didn't want him and Ajose didn't want to be here.
    And I can't see that changing.

• Interesting point made by KAG in the programme.

After getting into the first team squad his development stopped as he wasn't getting the coaching to improve his game rather he was training for games.

Surely you can do both? This season JFC has really improved his goal scoring after working with Bowyer and Jacko, while Raheem Sterling for example has massively improved under Pep while being a regular. Going back 20 years, Johnny Robinson really improved when Les Reed came in, and he played far more regularly than KAG has ever done.

Even the very best players will stay behind afterwards for individual coaching/practicing as well.
  • Interesting point made by KAG in the programme.

After getting into the first team squad his development stopped as he wasn't getting the coaching to improve his game rather he was training for games.

Surely you can do both? This season JFC has really improved his goal scoring after working with Bowyer and Jacko, while Raheem Sterling for example has massively improved under Pep while being a regular. Going back 20 years, Johnny Robinson really improved when Les Reed came in, and he played far more regularly than KAG has ever done.

Even the very best players will stay behind afterwards for individual coaching/practicing as well.
    How long has Bowyer been around to provide that coaching?

Is Fraeye better or worse than Pep as a coach?

Is Fraeye better or worse than Reed as a coach.

KAG was 17, a young player still trying to find his way and improve. He wasn't, in his opinion, give enough support to continue his development.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    I was about to say that moving to Crawley is a bit of a drop down, completely forgetting that they are now in League Two.
  • Karlan needs regular football, so I'm happy with this.
  • Scoham said:
    I have a feeling he'll score loads of goals there.
  • Good move for him, he needs the confidence of goals.
    Ross said:

Scoham said:
    I was about to say that moving to Crawley is a bit of a drop down, completely forgetting that they are now in League Two.
    They were in league 1 recently, weren't they?

• I didn't realise KAG was now regarded as a midfielder??

• Good for Karlan possibly but is it good for us?
  • Oggy Red said:

I didn't realise KAG was now regarded as a midfielder??

Well he's not played regularly at No 9.
  • edited January 2018
    I did think he could do better briefly but then remembered that Crawley are rapidly improving under Harry Kewell and he'll also have Kewell to learn from - Reckon this could be a very good move for him.

They certainly dont seem to have many consistent goalscorers... So should get a chance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/crawley-town/top-scorers
  • edited January 2018
    You're right, Forever. Crawley are improving ... won 4 matches out of 5, including wins against promotion contenders Notts County and Accrington.

Could be a very positive environment for KAG to find the confidence to truly express himself.

• Sponsored links:

• Positive move for KAG, but would have liked to have seen him given more minutes with us this season. Especially as Magennis has been so ineffective.
  • Moved mountains?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • Excellent. We can only have eleven players in the pitch at once. What's the point of having extra payers?
  • edited January 2018
    This should have been a one or two month loan around September/October time to give him a way of getting regular football and a chance of finding the back of the net a few times. All he needs is the confidence that comes from having scored instead of the doubt that comes from having fluffed good chances. Once he’d scored a couple of goals he should have been a regular starter but now we got what looks like three very good loan signings who will be ahead of him in the starting line up he might as well go out on loan. Crawley is a good choice.
  • SDAddick said:

Lurker said:

Excellent. We can only have eleven players in the pitch at once. What's the point of having extra payers?

We've got a lot of depth in the attacking positions at the moment.

I expect he'll be behind Mag, Zyro, and Kaikai for the 9 role, and Zyro, Kaikai, Reeves, Marshall, Fosu, Mav, and maybe Aribo/JFC for a role in the attacking three.

Credit to Karl. This is a tough decision and he'll get pilloried if he gets it wrong, but this is the right long term strategy for the player, and the club.
    Fair enough. But when I hear we've not done much in training because of lack of players, having one fit outfield player on the bench etc.