Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lawrie Wilson signs for Ebbsfleet

Comments

• SDAddick said:

Redhenry said:

Couldn't get in the 4th from bottom Port Vale team

What a strange fall they've had. Wasn't it just over a year ago that they were top six in this division?

Nobody make the comparison. Don't think it. It definitely can't happen to us.
    Think it was a very brief stay in the top six last season... Remember them getting relegated with their CEO taking the blame and resigning for their misfortunes
  • Notice he started for them tonight away to maidstone

Currently 2-1 up, with 2 goals for Powell. I thought for a minute Ebbsfleet had brought in another ex Charlton person :smile:
  • Notice he started for them tonight away to maidstone

Can he take a penalty?
  • Joe Pigott was in the Maidstone team
  • Joe Pigott was in the Maidstone team

11 in 28 this season,
    Always thought there was a player in there but we ruined him by throwing such a young player into the Millwall game,
  • Went to Maidstone tonight. Wilson looked ok but was not a stand out player who seemed to be playing in a league they shouldn’t be. He did ok but nothing special.
  • shirty5 said:

Joe Pigott was in the Maidstone team

11 in 28 this season,
    Always thought there was a player in there but we ruined him by throwing such a young player into the Millwall game,
    That's his level.
    11 in 28! Wow seems like we’ve let the next Harry Kane go.
  • shirty5 said:

11 in 28 this season,
    That's his level.
    Don't think his brief cameo at home to Millwall can be attributed to 'ruining' him.

This is anecdotal and could be absolute total garbage, but a mate from work used to manage him as a kid (maybe at Enfield Town or something) and said to me around the time he broke into our first team squad that he's a talented player but doesn't have the heart/drive of someone who's going to make it professionally.
  • shirty5 said:

11 in 28 this season,
    That's his level.
    Don't think his brief cameo at home to Millwall can be attributed to 'ruining' him.

This is anecdotal and could be absolute total garbage, but a mate from work used to manage him as a kid (maybe at Enfield Town or something) and said to me around the time he broke into our first team squad that he's a talented player but doesn't have the heart/drive of someone who's going to make it professionally.
    wasnt a brief Cameo
    Yann was injured if i recall and Joe was thrown in for his full league debut, played around 70 minutes
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:

11 in 28 this season,
    That's his level.

Agreed.

A bad game in difficult circumstances shouldn't ruin anyone aspiring to play at a better level. You can either handle it or you can't and I get fed up with people banging on about young players getting ruined. Pro sport isn't meant to be easy and not everything will be laid on a plate. The better young players seize their chance (eg Mortimer, Bowyer and Rufus). Others do ok (eg Leaburn, Newton and Solly). Others fade away (eg countless). Part of throwing them in is to see how they cope, not just to see how they play.

That said, Joe Piggot might continue to score/play well at the level he's at and with experience might even come back to the pro game one day. Much depends on how much he wants or needs it.
  • Went to Maidstone tonight. Wilson looked ok but was not a stand out player who seemed to be playing in a league they shouldn’t be. He did ok but nothing special.

If he hasn't played for a while, maybe he's not yet match fit?

• Maidstone are pro now aren't they?
  • charltonJ said:

Maidstone are pro now aren't they?

Yes
  • Oggy Red said:

Went to Maidstone tonight. Wilson looked ok but was not a stand out player who seemed to be playing in a league they shouldn’t be. He did ok but nothing special.

If he hasn't played for a while, maybe he's not yet match fit?

30th September in an away defeat for Port Vale was his ladt game
  • Oggy Red said:

Redhenry said:

Would have been an ideal signing for Charlton then.

Only if he was injured at the time
  • charltonJ said:

Maidstone are pro now aren't they?

Most of the teams in the conference national are pros now
  • Croydon said:

Oggy Red said:

Redhenry said:

Would have been an ideal signing for Charlton then.

Only if he was injured at the time
    Which I believe he was for a while.

His main problem though was that Michael Brown, who signed him, was replaced as Port Vale manager by Neil Aspin who evidently did not rate him.

He left by mutual consent.

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2018/january/lawrie-wilson/
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw Ebbsfleet v Maidstone at the start of the season and Pigot did ok, nothing spectacular but pulled a great save from Nathan Ashton at point blank range, a bit like our Josh does when he should score.
  • Saw Ebbsfleet v Maidstone at the start of the season and Pigot did ok, nothing spectacular but pulled a great save from Nathan Ashton at point blank range, a bit like our Josh does when he should score.

Isn't Nathan Ashton banged up for robbery or something?

Do you mean Ashmore?
  • jams said:

at the risk of contributing absolutely nothing to the thread topic i met joe piggott in a nightclub once

I met Solly and Wagstaff in a kebab shop in Maidstone once years ago. Lovely chaps
  • jams said:

at the risk of contributing absolutely nothing to the thread topic i met joe piggott in a nightclub once

I went to school with his missus. She’s bangin’
  • I was once in t wells spoons with Scott wagstaff. Legend, was the year above my mate at school so got us a drink.
  • LenGlover said:

Saw Ebbsfleet v Maidstone at the start of the season and Pigot did ok, nothing spectacular but pulled a great save from Nathan Ashton at point blank range, a bit like our Josh does when he should score.

Isn't Nathan Ashton banged up for robbery or something?

Do you mean Ashmore?
    Oops yes Ashmore I did put that in and it must have changed it to that.
  • I was once in t wells spoons with Scott wagstaff. Legend, was the year above my mate at school so got us a drink.

Pigott was in fusion in t wells
  • jams said:

I went to school with his missus. She’s bangin’
    Finish the sentence for gawds sake. If you know who she's " bangin' " the least you could do is to let Joe know.