Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hughes Sacked at Stoke (ed. New Southampton manager)

Not surprised - think his record has been dire over the last year and a half

I appreciate he hasn’t had huge funds to spend but I think Stoke’s owners have been very good and only dismissed one manager in their 7 years there.

Be interested to hear what you think @bobmunro? I felt his run left them no choice

Comments

• Next cafc manager under new (wealthy) owners?

F**k that.
  • Good. Can't stand him and after what he did at City and QPR don't understand how he keeps getting jobs. Is apparently incredibly aloof and distant and clearly not a training ground manager.

I effing hope not.

• His arrogance in recent weeks has rather out me off him. Pulis by contrast came over much better before he was sacked
  • cabbles said:

I appreciate he hasn’t had huge funds to spend but I think Stoke’s owners have been very good and only dismissed one manager in their 7 years there.

Be interested to hear what you think @bobmunro? I felt his run left them no choice

Pulis was there too long, as has been Hughes. Two very different characters and I won’t be drawn on my views (based on first hand experience) of either of them.

The Coates family run their businesses based on loyalty and trust from and to their senior people. Sometimes those overwhelmingly positive traits delay regrettable but necessary decisions.

• He has less personality than the cap to the sinex bottle on my desk in my line of vision as I type this.
  • Got to think they'll take Bilic or someone like that. Very very similar squads at Stoke and West Ham IMO and would be the best fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Horrible player, whingy bloke.
  • He's done ok but the right decision.

For anyone who likes a bet, I have had it on very good authority that the Southampton board are very keen to get Koeman back in. My uncle currently lives in Bournemouth but has some good contacts at Southampton and if Koeman is interested in going back then Pellegrino will be out the door.
  • edited January 2018

Pulis did a great job at Stoke. Hughes has also done well - People forget how that Stoke aren't a particular big club and to have a top half finish is impressive.

Yep, all good things must come to an end though. He’d have had the tin tack a lot sooner at a lot of clubs, not to say that I agree with the current hair trigger most chairman seem to have when it comes to firing managers.
  • Pulis did a great job at Stoke. Hughes has also done well - People forget how that Stoke aren't a particular big club and to have a top half finish is impressive.

Yep, all good things must come to an end though. He’d have had the tin tack a lot done at a lot of clubs, not to say that I agree with the current hair trigger most chairman seem to have when it comes to firing managers.
    Well Stoke’s owners can’t be accused of that.

• Might not have spent a huge amount on transfer fees, but inherited an established premier league team. I suspect the Coates family have been generous in what they have allowed in terms of wages for a club of this size.

• Pulis did a great job at Stoke. Hughes has also done well - People forget how that Stoke aren't a particular big club and to have a top half finish is impressive.

Yep, all good things must come to an end though. He’d have had the tin tack a lot done at a lot of clubs, not to say that I agree with the current hair trigger most chairman seem to have when it comes to firing managers.
    Well Stoke’s owners can’t be accused of that.

Nope, they can’t and more power to their elbow imho.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    Stoke could well be the new Charlton - squad looks poor and the best two 'rescue' managers in the league (Pulis and Fat Sam) have joined other clubs.....

They have been in the PL for 10 years now and, similar to West Brom, you can sense the bubble bursting this season as the fans lose their enthusiasm for mid-table mediocrity season after season.

Would be very interesting to see what the Coates family do if they go down....
  • Stoke could well be the new Charlton - squad looks poor and the best two 'rescue' managers in the league (Pulis and Fat Sam) have joined other clubs.....

They have been in the PL for 10 years now and, similar to West Brom, you can sense the bubble bursting this season as the fans lose their enthusiasm for mid-table mediocrity season after season.

Would be very interesting to see what the Coates family do if they go down....

Yes, after Hughes came in they seemed to bring in a "better" class of player, or at least more exciting, but now they seem to have lost most of their flair players, while also losing their previous tightness at the back. They look like a team in decline
  • Incidentally, what were the Bet 365 odds on Hughes getting the sack!
  • One of my least favourite managers of recent times. Never his fault, always the refs.
  • bobmunro said:

cabbles said:

Pulis was there too long, as has been Hughes. Two very different characters and I won’t be drawn on my views (based on first hand experience) of either of them.

The Coates family run their businesses based on loyalty and trust from and to their senior people. Sometimes those overwhelmingly positive traits delay regrettable but necessary decisions.

This is a clearly well informed and sensible point.

I'm going to counteract it by saying I hope no one shook Hughes' hand as he left because it will bother Hughes FOR YEARS.
  • Just watched MotD. Stoke looked utterly shambolic. Body language looked terrible and they played like 11 strangers. I think the board had to act or they were going down.
  • One of my least favourite managers of recent times. Never his fault, always the refs.

Said this yesterday on the managerial sackings thread. He's so arrogant, always had an excuse and nothing was ever his fault. I think going by his post match interviews over the past year, Stoke should've had 194 penalties.
  • Even when being interviewed after a win he finds a way to moan.

He doesn’t have a particular style of play. His teams rolled over and showed their bellies against anyone in the top 6. Never heard anyone discuss his tactical genius to win a game.

He dresses and talks like a manager and has playing pedigree. So he gets manager jobs, which last a few years before he gets found out. He can take an established team and maintain the status quo for a bit, but beyond that... No cup runs. Very little by way of chasing European places. He also gets sacked or quits before he can get relegated! Some guy ranted about him last night on 606 which was pretty funny - he kept saying that, in 18 years as a manager his only trophy is a manager of the month award. And he probably moaned about being given that too
  • In for Gary Rowett is being reported in today's paper. Would be gutting for Derby but great to see a young English manager given a chance.