Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Travel guidance please- Hayes to the Valley tomorrow...

I have an appointment in Pickhurst Lane, Hayes, Saturday morning and will be leaving around 1.00pm - any suggestions welcome for the best route to The Valley for the match (knowing that Homesdale Rd is still closed)? Car or rail. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• no trains from Hayes tmw dreaded RRS
    I'd give myself the day off and find smthn less spirit crushing to do with my afternoon
  • I'm based on Westmoreland Road mate, so not far away at all. The route the missus takes to Charlton seems to be:

- Up through Bromley Town Center
    - Follow on from Bromley North and go towards Grove Park until you meet the South Circular
    - On the South Circular head towards Shooters Hill Road (optionally coming off and going via Kidbrooke, but I think we just continue on to Shooters Hill Road as we park up on Charlton Park Lane)

To be quite honest, I'm sure there are better ways! It only takes us half an hour/45 minutes or so.

To make sure you don't get hit by any traffic on Holmesdale Road, from Hayes it may make sense to head up Pickhurst Lane, on to Westmoreland Road, and then skirt around the town center via Queen Anne Avenue (which takes you out at Shortlands station).
  • Not sure if it's the best way but, 353 to Orpington Station then train to lewisham change then to Charlton
  • chilham said:

I have an appointment in Pickhurst Lane, Hayes, Saturday morning and will be leaving around 1.00pm - any suggestions welcome for the best route to The Valley for the match (knowing that Homesdale Rd is still closed)? Car or rail. Thanks for any help!

If driving go via Hayes Lane, Kentish Way, Widmore Road, Chislehurst Hill, Mottingham, Coldharbour estate, Fiveways, Eltham, Westmoreland Rd, Woolwich Common, Ha Ha Road, Cemetery Rd
  • I would take Herny's route. That is the best way to drive That is the route I take if I worked on a Sat or an evening game. You will need to leave sharpish though. Is there anyway you could move your appt forward by an hour? If I was you I would go by car then you are not relying on public transport/delays or cancellations
  • 314 bus to Eltham Church, then a 161 to Charlton.
  • Pedro45 said:

314 bus to Eltham Church, then a 161 to Charlton.

This is it all the way. Allow at least one and a half hours. 314 stop is near Iceland on Station Approach, Hayes. (New Hayes, where the Sainsbury's Local is).
  • Thanks for this - the appointment is actually a tennis winter league match, so I am this time praying for the forecast rain to arrive early, and Henry's route is closest to what I imagined. With Holmesdale closed, Westmoreland Rd/Masons Hill looks to be the best bet, then back towards my normal route via A20 and Kidbrooke Pk Rd. Thanks re the 314 offer, but experience doesn't mark it high as reliable!
  • chilham said:

Thanks for this - the appointment is actually a tennis winter league match, so I am this time praying for the forecast rain to arrive early, and Henry's route is closest to what I imagined. With Holmesdale closed, Westmoreland Rd/Masons Hill looks to be the best bet, then back towards my normal route via A20 and Kidbrooke Pk Rd. Thanks re the 314 offer, but experience doesn't mark it high as reliable!

He meant Westmount Rd not Westmoreland.