Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Murray

Watching Andy Murray in exhibition match at the moment on Eurosport. There is no way he will be fit for Australia. It is very sad to watch. The rest has not worked. He needs an operation in my opinion if he is going make it back.

Comments

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/41907123

The BBC reporter seemed more optimistic, hopefully he just needs time to get back to full strength and fitness
  • Murray almost certainly will far more tax than Hamilton as he's a UK resident. I suspect he pays more than any other sports star.
  • His wife has just had their second baby.
  • edited November 2017
  • It's Sir Andy Murray by the way.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/41917209

Andrew Castle seemed pretty gloomy at what he saw...
    But TV commentator Castle said: "From the evidence of my eyes, it doesn't look like his hip is good at all."

"The way he's moving, changing direction, he's clearly uncomfortable," he told BBC Scotland after watching Murray take on Roger Federer and play a doubles contest with brother Jamie.

"I was disheartened to see that he hadn't made much progress in terms of the way he was walking between points - more than four months on.

"I'm not trying to be negative and I was delighted to see Andy back out on the court, he's given us so much joy over the years.

"To be quite honest, I'm just not liking what I'm seeing."
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/41917209

But TV commentator Castle said: "From the evidence of my eyes, it doesn't look like his hip is good at all."

"The way he's moving, changing direction, he's clearly uncomfortable," he told BBC Scotland after watching Murray take on Roger Federer and play a doubles contest with brother Jamie.

"I was disheartened to see that he hadn't made much progress in terms of the way he was walking between points - more than four months on.

"I'm not trying to be negative and I was delighted to see Andy back out on the court, he's given us so much joy over the years.

Did not enjoy reading this from Castle. No matter what your opinion of Murray, he’s proved himself to be one of Britain’s greatest Sportsman and it would be sad to see his career cut short by injury.

Hopefully Castle was just in prophet of doom mode and Andy makes a full recovery, and like Federer and Nadal this season, gets back to the top of the tennis world.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/41917209

Did not enjoy reading this from Castle. No matter what your opinion of Murray, he’s proved himself to be one of Britain’s greatest Sportsman and it would be sad to see his career cut short by injury.

Hopefully Castle was just in prophet of doom mode and Andy makes a full recovery, and like Federer and Nadal this season, gets back to the top of the tennis world.
    I think Castle was just saying what everyone else could see. As for Nadal, well a great year but don't expect him to take much participation at the o2. Apparently he and his management have been under pressure to turn up next week, even if it is just to turn up. Without Djokovic, Murray et al the ATP Finals need the World No.1. Don't expect him to play much though.
  • Riviera said:

I think Castle was just saying what everyone else could see. As for Nadal, well a great year but don't expect him to take much participation at the o2. Apparently he and his management have been under pressure to turn up next week, even if it is just to turn up. Without Djokovic, Murray et al the ATP Finals need the World No.1. Don't expect him to play much though.

Nadal has never enjoyed indoor tennis, I guess the one big motivation would be to win the end of year tournament, as he's never won it when Federer has won it 6 times and Novak 5 times
  • edited November 2017
    Riviera said:

As expected and predicted sadly Nadal has withdrawn from the ATP Finals at The o2.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/42498543

Not good news. Murray's hip is still bad and Andrew Castle fears that a major operation could see the end of Murray's top level career
  • Bye Bye Murray, cant stand the bloke.

Why?
  • Very sad that a world class British sportsman will in all probability have to retire before his time.

Maybe he will be able to play some doubles with his brother if he has the desire to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a fan of him but hard to deny his achievements in the sport and sad that his career may be cut short in this way.

Why?
    he is jealous of the wit, charisma and good looks that Murray possesses
    Well his missus is fit as anything so Murray probably doesn't care how many people on this forum think they are better looking than him as he has ten times the life anyone on here has.
  • edited January 2018
    se9addick said:

Tim Henman was a nice, engaging bloke, Murray is a winner - give me Murray every time.

Greatest British Sportsman ever for me, terrible shame that he might not be able to hit the heights again but he may be able to still help us have success at Davis Cup level.

This x 1000
  • Writing as a veteran tennis player at local league level, I am disappointed but not surprised that the injury to Andy Murray has impacted on his playing career - and it would not surprise me if he decided to/was advised to retire from active sport, having reached the pinnacle of World no. 1. He would be better off working as a tennis/sports ambassador than to struggle on at top level given the nature of his injury. His style of play has been the main cause of this, and he is unlikely to change that now. Perhaps a more all-court style - as with Federer - would have helped his cause, but chasing and hitting winners from metres behind the base line has sadly taken its toll. Sad to note that Johanna Konta has also succumbed to a hip injury today, and she plays a similar style of tennis. Venture inside the court and play more volleys - the best way toward a longer playing life.

You've met him?
  • Hope he doesn't go through surgery to squeeze a few more years out of his career at the expense of his long term health (and being able to play tennis with his own kids as they grow older).
  • edited January 2018

Hope he doesn't go through surgery to squeeze a few more years out of his career at the expense of his long term health (and being able to play tennis with his own kids as they grow older).

This. He will never get back to his best. I’s horrible watching a top sportsman struggling to work his way back up and knowing that in their heart of hearts, it’s not going to happen.