Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would you go to watch Charlton on your wedding day..?

I did !
8/10/1988. Ceremony in the morning, quick change, Selhurst Park v Tottenham, 2:2 (i think...) back all Regal.
since the divorce, she's an Orient supporter...

Comments

• If I did that there wouldn't have been a wedding!
  • unless we'd had an away game in Zante it would've been very difficult
  • We got married in 2016 the day before the Football season kicked off... Being @ Charlton House I was ready to "disappear" had we been on TV that Friday night and at home - Thankfully we started away @ Bury so wasn't an issue in the end.

This season though we started the season @ home to Bristol Rovers so guess where we spent our First Anniversary
  • I mean, no way - unless we fluked an FA Cup final or could somehow win the Premiership.
  • On my wedding day we beat Sheff Utd 2-0 at Bramell Lane - Andy Hunt got both I think . Sep 18th 1999 - I didn’t go !
  • On my wedding day we beat Sheff Utd 2-0 at Bramell Lane - Andy Hunt got both I think . Sep 18th 1999 - I didn’t go !

2-1 but Hunt did get both.
  • Marriage AND Charlton on the same day. Tough ask.
  • I was lucky we played Southend away on a Friday night the day before my wedding.
  • Not whilst Duchatelet is still the owner.
    After? Depends on how much pain I would want in my life.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    Davo55 said:

Marriage AND Charlton on the same day. Tough ask.

Both bring a lifetime of misery.
  • I'd sooner go to my execution than my own wedding day
  • My wedding day fell on the Sheff Utd cup game. I actually feel like I dodge a bullet by getting married!
  • Can't believe I'm still the only one. Worth at least a first class airline match and hotel ticket i reckon...
  • edited January 2018
    If I recall correctly, Sam Bartram PLAYED on his wedding day. I bet his missus was delighted.
  • No. Why would I want to taint the game? wedding day
  • Got to be a glutton for punishment to do that!
  • edited January 2018
    PaddyP17 said:

Why are so many people here arranging marriages on Saturdays in the football season? There are literally hundreds of other days to choose from.

Affordable present...
    Honey moon preview
  • Sponsored links:

• I got married in August. We watched Dominic Cork get 50 against the Windies on TV, then at lunch got dressed and strolled up to church for a 2pm start.
  • I do believe Peter Reeves got married in the morning and then played against QPR in the afternoon.
  • I just checked our result the day I got married and we lost 3-1 at home to the mighty Stockport
  • I got married in the Dominican Republic but my wedding ring is the gold Charlton band from the club shop.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Why are so many people here arranging marriages on Saturdays in the football season? There are literally hundreds of other days to choose from.

My first wedding in 1990 was going to be in late August until a certain brother said that as we could be returning to the Valley that season then I'd better change the date otherwise he may not turn up. Changed the date & then found out that our return was going to be delayed by a year or two.

My second wedding took place in early July 2001 so as to avoid any football clashes, but then found it was on the same day as Henman's Wimbledon semi-final. We had the venue booked for the whole afternoon & evening and whilst people were leaving the reception that afternoon and /or arriving for the evening do I brought in a portable tv and a few of us sat in the bar watching a rain-interrupted semi final as well as the cricket. The barman said he'd never had a better afternoon - getting paid to watch the telly.
  • edited January 2018
    Not a chance. Played Blackpool at home on my wedding day. One of the bridesmaids gave me a filthy look just for checking the score.
    PaddyP17 said:

Very good point. Tudorbarn Eltham ( the only venue we considered) had a lot more expensive rates throughout the summer, which is probably why we went for one during the season.
  • Derek Hales' wife married my son, we all missed a home game, dunno what Killer was up to.
  • edited January 2018
    Cocked up the date and my wedding clashed with the first game of the season against Barnsley in 1999. Video from reception only seems to show my brother and me reacting to positive score updates! But I didn't attend!
  • edited January 2018
    My Sister decided her wedding date to her future Husband on the day of the Leeds game (in our first League One season which saw us dramatically win 1-0)

My Brother In Law had basically found out when Charlton were playing (to avoid a date clash) and then deliberately picked a game when we were at home so because I knew it was to wind me up I put my foot down and said I wouldnt be attending the Wedding as they knew before booking that I had a Charlton game.

Felt it was done out of spite and would have respected their decision had they not looked into when Charlton were playing!!

Wedding Date was moved forward a week yet wasnt allowed to forget it right up until the big day which turned out to be a lovely day (Was even part of the speech stating what Id done)... thankfully I got my revenge a week later when it pissed it down on the date they'd wanted so every chance I get I remind everyone how I ensured her wedding wasnt a washout!!!