Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton revive New Year Loving Cup tradition

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5a4b8e6871281/charlton-revive-new-year-loving-cup-tradition

As it mentions in the article you can see the Loving Cup in the Museum

Ours is number 7 of only 30 made.

Pleased to see this tradition revived as part of the history of the club that should be preserved. History matters.

Comments

• Great tradition... Shame it had to include Penfold!!
  • What the.......ah, not some Rolling Stones style euphemism then. :wink:

Seriously, that is a beautiful artefact and a quaint tradition.
    Lovely!
  • Why has it got a couple of old bagels stuck on the side?
  • Pretzels not bagels.
  • I think you mean pretzels?
  • Stig said:

Why has it got a couple of old bagels stuck on the side?

They are Stafford Knots, the symbol of Staffordshire.

Thought everyone knew that
  • That is a good idea.

After all - we have bugger all interest in other cups by NY day lately.
  • didn't know about the stafford knot or the tradition of the loving cup. learn something new..
  • Praise the lord for the loving cup.

The only cup competition we’re still involved in after December!
  • edited January 2018
    Think this is great, but can't help wondering.......

• Sponsored links:

• How did the cup come into the Museum's possession?
  • Connected to that - why did CAFC stop honouring the tradition? (In the 90s?)

The museum now has ownership of a lot of items no longer needed by the club and we're grateful for them.

• Thanks, Ben

Has anyone notified SCFC about yesterday's ceremony? They've clearly got weightier things on their mind at the moment, as indeed we have, but it would be good, in an old-school football sense, for them to know that tradition and heritage still play an important role in a "sport" increasingly unrecognisable.

• Thanks, Ben

Has anyone notified SCFC about yesterday's ceremony? They've clearly got weightier things on their mind at the moment, as indeed we have, but it would be good, in an old-school football sense, for them to know that tradition and heritage still play an important role in a "sport" increasingly unrecognisable.

Let's ask @bobmunro our resident Stokie : - )

The museum now has ownership of a lot of items no longer needed by the club and we're grateful for them.
    Seconded. Their collection of foreign’ No mark’ Football managers is something to behold!

• edited January 2018
    Very apt it's the copy 7 out of 30.

That's how many points we have in our last 10 league matches.

• Thanks, Ben

I’ve sent the OS link to Peter Coates. I know he will be chuffed at this and I’ll let you know what he says.

• Stig said:

Why has it got a couple of old bagels stuck on the side?

They are Stafford Knots, the symbol of Staffordshire.

Thought everyone knew that
    Knot I.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Thanks, Ben

I’ve sent the OS link to Peter Coates. I know he will be chuffed at this and I’ll let you know what he says.

cheers @bobmunro
  • bobmunro said:

Thanks, Ben

cheers @bobmunro
    Peter was very pleased to hear the tradition was being honoured and confirmed, and I’m sure you won’t be surprised, that the tradition was also celebrated in the SCFC boardroom yesterday.

• bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Thanks, Ben

cheers @bobmunro
    Peter was very pleased to hear the tradition was being honoured and confirmed, and I’m sure you won’t be surprised, that the tradition was also celebrated in the SCFC boardroom yesterday.

good to hear. I did tag Stoke on twitter
  • A piece that size and quality in a limited edition of 30 and with it's history within English football must be valuable. Amazed Duchatelet hasn't purloined it. What's the chances that Meire was invited to the same ceremony at Hillsborough yesterday and was left wondering?
  • We’ve also revived the giving away of 3pts as part of the tradition.
  • Ashers said:

Rummaging in the loft today I found a scrap book from my first season as an Addick - proof that the tradition was alive and well on 1st January 1975! We beat Colchester 4-1 -happy days!

@Ashers we have been looking for that picture.

@charltonnick remembered it but it wasn't in the Museum scrapbooks.

Thanks for that
  • For some reason that Colchester game was the only one in London that New Year, from memory we had a bumper attendance as a result, and it was a rip roaring game too at our beautiful old Valley.
  • edited January 2018
    seth plum said:

For some reason that Colchester game was the only one in London that New Year, from memory we had a bumper attendance as a result, and it was a rip roaring game too at our beautiful old Valley.

15,000+. Won 4 - 1
  • Tell me what have you found

“IVE FOUND LOVE”